• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

968041C8-2D68-491E-92CF-637138F8F356 (resized).jpeg
21E7D20A-BD2D-4B14-9813-9642E86E7A7F (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I am a total noob without much tech savvy yet, so forgive my cluelessness...

So this is a solid state System 1 CEOTK. I’ve only had it a month and very recently the left clipper has been “sticking” in the engaged position and feels underpowered.

What’s the fix for this?

21E7D20A-BD2D-4B14-9813-9642E86E7A7F (resized).jpeg21E7D20A-BD2D-4B14-9813-9642E86E7A7F (resized).jpeg968041C8-2D68-491E-92CF-637138F8F356 (resized).jpeg968041C8-2D68-491E-92CF-637138F8F356 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

If you will google "Flipper stays in up position", you'll find 975,000 hits.

Having said that, first decide if it is mechanical or electrical. When it stays up, turn the game off. If it drops, it's electrical, if not, it's mechanical.

In no particular order...pull up (away from the playfield) on each flipper. There should be some play, maybe 1/16" up and down. If one doesn't have the play, it will bind. Look at your flipper coil wrappers. If you see a burned spot, the coil may have overheated and burned the flipper coil sleeve. Move the flippers up at the same time, and feel for a difference. If one has more resistance than the other, and it still has up and down play, rebuild both flippers (get your kit from Pinball Resource and tell Steve I said hi. It also might be that the spring on the problem flipper is the wrong one or might be stretched or attached incorrectly, so inspect them and compare. That should keep you busy for a minute

#3 5 years ago

I'd start by replacing the nylon coil sleeve and cleaning the plunger (metal part that goes in the coil sleeve). Cheap & easy potential fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-close-encounters-flipper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.