IMG_3920.JPG
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Have an opportunity to pickup a free cleopatra. I know, I know, FREE pinball, just take it right? Well no, I am currently maxed out on space and would have to turn over a borrowed machine in order to fit this. I am not sure if it is worth the trouble really. Playfield needs patch/touchup and probably a clearcoat to keep it nice. Machine isnt all that interesting, but I would like a SS/EM hybrid at some point (have been looking for a good joker poker).

Any opinions on gameplay, ease of work that needs to be done, etc. Convince me to grab it and not part it or toss it (yikes). Backglass is worth saving for sure if anything.

Pics otw.

IMG_3611.JPGIMG_3611.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Pic 2

IMG_3607.JPGIMG_3607.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Pic 3

IMG_3605.JPGIMG_3605.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Pic 4

IMG_3608.JPGIMG_3608.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Pic 5

IMG_3606.JPGIMG_3606.JPG

#6 10 years ago

Yes. Any free pin that can be made to run is worth it. Only machine that is not is one that spent the last 10 years in the basement of an outhouse in a swamp.

#7 10 years ago

I have the EM version. This is a shooters game and most people hate it because of this. The playfield layout creates several ways to shoot drain shots. Learn the shots and it's a great game. This table plays extremely fast.

Take it and save it.

#8 10 years ago

Take it and ill buy it from you, I would love one of these. Bring it into my class when we study cleopatra and Egypt I'm sure the kids would love that! And I am being serious let me know price as is and then you don't have to move anything!

#9 10 years ago

I'd be interested in it as well. been looking for a pyramid or Cleopatra for a bit now. So depending on where you are located. You have at least two potential offers.

#10 10 years ago

Its in much better condition that most Cleo's. Definitely worth saving and getting a Pascal P1-X4 board for it. Give you a better attract mode, high score saving, a skill shot and more!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Its in much better condition that most Cleo's. Definitely worth saving and getting a Pascal P1-X4 board for it. Give you a better attract mode, high score saving, a skill shot and more!

THIS is the kind of info I am looking for. Thank you. I am still mulling it over, but I most likely will give it a go. Its a pretty basic playfield so I feel pretty comfortable stripping the whole thing for a touch up and clearcoat.

I will keep you other guys in mind if anything changes.

#12 10 years ago

Local owner has one here in Dallas. The thing plays STUPID fast with wax, and it's just unbelievable how fast it is. His is the EM version. Looks AMAZING with LEDs, actually. The layout may not LOOK like much, but it's extremely challenging and there's some good strategy involved.

#13 10 years ago

It is a fun game. Getting the rollovers and drop targets down to build the bonus and light the standup is challenging and not as easy as it sounds. It is a pretty game when clean.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The thing plays STUPID fast with wax, and it's just unbelievable how fast it is.

I can't stress how fast this game plays for it's age. Crazy, crazy fast.

#15 10 years ago

if you part it out Ill buy some of the pf plastics to replace my broken ones......

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

if you part it out Ill buy some of the pf plastics to replace my broken ones......

Part it for the plastics? Hmmm.
PBR sells complete repros. Buy some.

To the OP...it's a good game, that I miss. Wish I had another.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Take it and ill buy it from you, I would love one of these. Bring it into my class when we study cleopatra and Egypt I'm sure the kids would love that! And I am being serious let me know price as is and then you don't have to move anything!

Didnt realize who you were. If you wanna work out a deal +cash for the mario I may be listening.

#18 10 years ago

Haha sorry I don't think Mario going anywhere for a bit and benepinballs has first dibs. Really wanting to order a Hobbit though so may start selling off.

#19 10 years ago

benepinballs? WHAAAAT??? I know I was first to ask for it. Bogus.

#20 10 years ago

Cleopatra is a great game, worth saving. I played it... 30 years ago (?) and still remember it. For some reason I do remember the bonus count very well.

#21 10 years ago

It's okay I think I got him hooked up with one tonight so you have moved on up to number 1....but again I don't think it's leaving soon.

#22 10 years ago

You indiana guys are killing me with all the finds. I knew of another guy who found a marilyn taxi out there for $700...

#23 10 years ago

I'm jealous of that too

#24 10 years ago

Man it is FREE and an awesome game to boot! Plug it in and get it to work and then decide for yourself if you like it or not. This game is challenging and FAST like others have said. The ball bonus after each drain will have you coming back for more. The theme is attractive as well. I look forward to owning one someday myself.

#25 10 years ago

I have a Cleo myself. While it is not the best System 1 Pin, I still enjoy it. Simple rules, fast as others have mentioned and a down the middle drainer. You really need to set up your shots to rack up the points and prevent drainage.

#26 10 years ago

My daughter (10) bought a Cleo end of last year around x-mas time. Not only is it a gorgeous machine, but like everyone else said plays super fast and is indeed a shooters pin. If you miss your shot, you are screwed. We love it here at the house and it's not going anywhere. Beautiful art package.
Get the Pascal and you will be in heaven.

1 month later
#27 10 years ago

Getting psyched to start this. Shooting for next week to get it in the "shop".

Any tips for tear down from any System 1 owners?

Playfield is going out for touch up and clearcoat, going to stencil and then re-paint whole cabinet.

SO PUMPED!

#28 10 years ago

Awesome! Glad you're saving it; if there hadn't been other interest, I would've been asking to take it off your hands.

Who's doing your playfield touch-up? I'm going to be doing touch-up on a spare playfield for a Totem (another Gottlieb System 1) and clearcoat soon, and it seems like you know more about having that done that I do.

#29 10 years ago

I actually picked up a Sinbad since this thread started. It plays very similar (an early System1) and I was going to sell it but man, it really is a difficult drop target shooters game with great rules. Now, I don't know if I really want to let it go.

#30 10 years ago

Picked up a non working Cleopatra SS for $250. (was better looking then OP.) Cleaned up nice ,needed back box paint , new rubber , and LED's. Because of System 1 rep.I replaced all 3- boards. Spent a month trying to get it to work . Find out Ni-wumph had a batch of bad boards . Installed replacement board and now the Led's don't light correct ( anyone else have this problem ? ). Put 44's back in - OK . By this time I'm sick and tired of sys.1. Takes a month to sell on CL , have to almost beg someone to take it at $500. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Picked up a non working Cleopatra SS for $250. (was better looking then OP.) Cleaned up nice ,needed back box paint , new rubber , and LED's. Because of System 1 rep.I replaced all 3- boards. Spent a month trying to get it to work . Find out Ni-wumph had a batch of bad boards . Installed replacement board and now the Led's don't light correct ( anyone else have this problem ? ). Put 44's back in - OK . By this time I'm sick and tired of sys.1. Takes a month to sell on CL , have to almost beg someone to take it at $500. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !

Alright, now this guy has got me a little scared. I priced out a touch up and clearcoat (my estimate) of the playfield, all new posts, rubber, etc, the Pascal board, etc, and I came to around $1000. If I cant get what I put into it I dont think I want to put all that money into it.

May be reconsidering and just trying to touch up and clear myself to save money, but whats that gonna save? Havent gotten a quote yet, guess I should do that first. I gotta clear though, this game is already beat and the inserts dont look to be level at all.

I was HOPING after I repainted the cab, made the machine better then new that I would squeak out a little over $1000 so I could recoup once I was sick of the game. This guys got me rethinking though. Geez.

#32 10 years ago

Try to get one person to admit they would give you $1000. when your done ! That's the true test .

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Try to get one person to admit they would give you $1000. when your done ! That's the true test .

Kinda what I am doing here pal...lol

#34 10 years ago

Honestly, you have realized the top secret fact about all expensive collectibles... if you plan on getting your money out of a restoration, you are in the hobby for the wrong reasons. Some games were not meant to be restored to "like new" condition.

#35 10 years ago

Ill still take it from you for twice what you paid

2 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

Well, its worse then I thought. Looks like one of the kick out coils locked up when the machine was on and it started a fire under the playfield. There is fire extinguisher residue underneath as well as char. They cut the hell out of the harness in this area as well as in a few other spots as you will see in the pics below. Pretty bummed right now. Would need to aquire a beat up cleo to get all the parts I am going to need. Also doesnt help another pin just got offered to me that I may pick up instead of putting money into this.

Tsskinne, if you are still interested we can talk. Or this may just end up being my coffee table project I have always wanted to do. Just get the GI lit up and call it a day. Hang the back glass up on my wall....

See below.

IMG_3919.JPGIMG_3919.JPG

#37 10 years ago

More

IMG_3920.JPGIMG_3920.JPG

#38 10 years ago

More

IMG_3921.JPGIMG_3921.JPG

#39 10 years ago

More

IMG_3922.JPGIMG_3922.JPG

#40 10 years ago

Damn man Sorry to hear that bad news, I'm about 100% positive that would be out of my realm of repair skills. Hate to see a pin die, but all good things come to an end. What's the other pin you looking at? Also I think the extra hulk playfield I have is mostly complete, someone wanted it but haven't heard from them in a few days if you might be interested let me know. It would definitely be a project but I think a possible one at least.

#41 10 years ago

But damn just looked at those pics and I still want to fix that game haha

4 months later
#42 10 years ago

Any one have a copy of the manual they can share? Need the wiring schematic specifically, but the whole thing would be nice. Let me know, thanks!

#43 10 years ago

Too bad if beyond saving because I love Cleopatra, and spent many $$ on that game...
PF is not perfect but not too bad.
Might be hard to resell without losing some money but the satisfaction of saving a soul beyond salvation would compensate for that...? (and would get some thumb ups from us as well... )

#44 10 years ago

Ya, I know. I really WANT to save it, but I really just dont have the time or space right now. I would have to remove a perfectly good working machine from my collection and put it in storage to be able to have this readily available for me to work on a regular basis.

I have a guy at my office thats wanted a machine for a while, I may have sold him on fixing this one up. He was asking for the manual and schematic since the harness is cut up and the transformer (as you can see) was replaced poorly.

If he doesnt take it, and I get in a pinch, Im going to just grab the populated playfield, backglass, and boards, and trash the cabinet. Playfield would make a nice light up coffee table for the game room.

#45 10 years ago

I really hope you give the pin to someone who would try to save it. The artwork is very well done and it's a beautiful game when lit. I have my EM Cleopatra sitting next to an Aztec. The Cleo artwork makes the Aztec artwork look absolutely cartoonish (love the Aztec table )

It's understood that it will cost more to repair it than the market will pay. I'm sure there is at least one person that wants that title. While there is some wear on the table it really isn't bad for this title. Mine was far worse.

Cleopatra is a loved by few and hated by many because it is a shooters game, and that's why it sells dirt cheap. This table demands you hit your shots and control the ball. And that's not easy to do because it's such a fast game on a simple playfield layout. Cleopatra will punish you like a slave building the pyramids! That's why I love this table, it's a tough challenge to get high scores consistently.

Two ways to light the extra ball, get all the roll overs or get the drops. For each roll over you get the drops are worth 1k. Get all five roll overs and score 5k per drop. Get everything and you light the special, and this is tough to do.

Also, getting all the drops opens the 5K sucker target in the center of the table. You can get high scores, but make the wrong shot and it's a center drain.

A shooters pin and not for the faint of heart. As a huge fan of this pin, please save her!

#46 10 years ago

Thanks to the man who sent me the manual and then some.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think he will be taking the game home next week.

#47 10 years ago

Cool we should be seeing pics of the progress i would imagine, and a gameplay vid of this beaten down orphan up and running, or at least i hope so

3 months later
#48 9 years ago

Been off the forum for months. Just wondered what happened to Cleo.

#49 9 years ago

Shes till chillin'....actually, shes been a bit of a donor machine for a guy at the office who bought a countdown.

I ALMOST had a friend pick it up over the winter, but with all the snow we got, every weekend was gridlock and he couldnt make it.

For now, its just a donor like I said. Soon enough though, it might be parts and the rest in the trash.

#50 9 years ago

Thanks for the update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-cleopatra-worth-the-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.