• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Gentlemen,

I've brought back both Williams, and Bally games before - (The older last 70s through late 80s)

But this time I have a Circus -- and I'm trying to bring back to life as well... The woman SAID they were playing it right up until they unplugged, and then used MASKING TAPE directly onto the contacts faces to tell them how they should re-attach the cables once they decided to put it back together. Unfortunately though, even after getting the goop off the boards, when they're plugged back in the game refuses to boot. As a matter a fact, I believe it's knocker coil is somehow locked on.

So. Until I too find a book for this sucker,, I'm a little bit at a loss. I have the Gottlieb repair wiki, and a couple of other sources for "fixit" manuals for Gottlieb.

Does anyone know if the edge connector's pins are crimped with the same tool used to crimp the .10s and .156s? I got the standard tool from GPE.

-Brian

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

So. Until I too find a book for this sucker,, I'm a little bit at a loss.

Pbresource.com carries manuals.

Quoted from bdPinball:

Does anyone know if the edge connector's pins are crimped with the same tool used to crimp the .10s and .156s? I got the standard tool from GPE.

Gottlieb needs the tool that crimps .156 pins. .100 and .156 pins are crimped using different hand tools.

#3 7 years ago

Wait - I use the same (bct-1?) tool for crumpling .156 and .10. Is that somehow not correct? It's got 4 sizes of crimping teeth, I've only ever found use for 3 of the 4..

What are the two different tools
You're referring to?

#4 7 years ago

So when I started fixing Bally and William's games, I started by purchasing all of the possible plugs that I might need. The 156s 4, 8,12, 15,20, and so forth. Sale thing with the .10s. Along with the headers, and terminal pins, keys etc.

Anyone have a base set to buy for Gottlieb? Guess keys. And headers are not necessary!!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Wait - I use the same (bct-1?) tool for crumpling .156 and .10. Is that somehow not correct? It's got 4 sizes of crimping teeth, I've only ever found use for 3 of the 4..
What are the two different tools
You're referring to?

I was referring to the W-HT-1921 (.100 pins) and W-HT-1919 (.156 pins) since a lot of folks seem to use those, but it looks like the BCT-1 should handle both sizes. Sorry for the confusion.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was referring to the W-HT-1921 (.100 pins) and W-HT-1919 (.156 pins) since a lot of folks seem to use those, but it looks like the BCT-1 should handle both sizes. Sorry for the confusion.

I use the W-HT-1919 (red handles) for the .156" terminals and the W-HT-1921 (yellow handles) for the .100 terminals.

Gottliebs of your vintage only use the .156" terminals.

#7 7 years ago

Okay. Regarding bringing this thing to life, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because I haven't seen a Gottlieb game of this era start in a long time, and definitely don't know about diagnostics.

I did like the repair manuals say, and hooked up the displays, and no coin door, and I do get the Wavey Zeros. Oh, I tested the Voltages and they are acutally in line! I'm sure some component will blow out before I'm done. But on to the next test..

I plug everything in, and I get lights, it pauses for a couple seconds, and then comes up with 0s in the right two displays, but that's it. No Credit display at all. And no attract mode lights. Just a couple, like maybe the green a-b-c-d or something on the board.

So far I haven't found a repair guide for Gottlieb system 80s that really seems to lead me through what I'm looking for- I'll see descriptons of problems - but not MY problem! heh.

Someone care to enlighten me on the startup procedure for Gottlieb System 80s?

-Brian

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-circus-resurection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.