Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1813 (resized).JPG
IMG_1782 (resized).JPG
IMG_1781 (resized).JPG
New Klondike chimes (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have located a set of Gottlieb chimes (early to mid 70's) for a Williams Klondike conversion. Having read hundreds of old Posts still a little confused about the best way to go forward. Some do a combination of original Williams bells and a Gottlieb unit, others wiring a 3-chime unit directly to scoring relays.
This is a desirable modification from what I gather from several Posts. At this date has any consensus been reached as to the ultimate configuration?
Any Links to older Posts or current opinions appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

If you like the new sound it should be a simple conversion.

#3 5 years ago

I converted a game with Williams chimes to Williams bells, but never thought about crossbreeding like this.

#4 5 years ago

I have no idea what the consensus might be but here's one approach. It looks like Klondike has just a single chime that fires on 100 or 1000 points. If that's the case you could disconnect the existing chime (unless you want it to fire too) and use the wires to drive two of the Gottlieb chimes. But ideally you'd want the 10 point relay to fire the 3rd new chime. You could add a new switch to the 10 point relay, or use an existing switch like this:
New Klondike chimes (resized).jpgNew Klondike chimes (resized).jpg
You might want to swap out the existing 10 point relay switch for a switch with heavier contacts, but this might hold up to home use.

/Mark

#5 5 years ago

Thanks MarkG, that will work! Klondike is a machine I really like and intend to keep and if I can get it close to sounding like Out of Sight it will be even better. Not a big fan of bells (especially loud ringing Gottlieb bells) but reading here the consensus seems to be Gottlieb are the best.

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

I watched several new (to me) videos of Klondike machines and they all sounded the same as mine! No difference. I noticed the Yukon had an annoying ringing bell so that won't work.
The set of Gottlieb chimes will be here Wed, can't wait, I am sick of the plodding thud.
Need to go in the bottom cab so a little wiring is in order. I intend to restore and clear coat the playfield (with a new thread) but want to install this for at least a weekend of fun.

3 months later
#7 5 years ago

I took MarkG guidance and hooked the chimes up where the 10/100 /1000 Point had the right separation, fired from their respective relay. This is with the new chime unit outside the head hooked up with alligator clips.
IMG_1781 (resized).JPGIMG_1781 (resized).JPG
Once I had determined the best "Balance" of chime sound-off I removed the original Williams unit and installed the Gottlieb, it fit perfect.
IMG_1782 (resized).JPGIMG_1782 (resized).JPG
Now to new wire and solder. Klondike never sounded better>

#8 5 years ago

I did this to our Fan-Tas-Tic. Couldn’t get the stock Williams chimes to sound better than a box of rusty nails. Much better now.

#9 5 years ago

Nico, did you put it in the head or inside the cabinet?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I did this to our Fan-Tas-Tic. Couldn’t get the stock Williams chimes to sound better than a box of rusty nails. Much better now.

You'll never get Williams chimes to sound like Gottlieb chimes. Difference in their design.

I swapped in Gottlieb chimes for Williams on my Grand Prix, but that was just a matter of transferring the wires to the Gottlieb box.

Williams chimes were the absolute worst. Totally clanky. Bally's weren't bad, but Gottlieb lead the way on this one.

#12 5 years ago

In defense of Williams bells I was able to get these (in a Merry Widow I overhauled) sounding sweet by tightening and throwing a cut up t-shirt over them. Sound almost as good as chimes.

IMG_1813 (resized).JPGIMG_1813 (resized).JPG

#13 5 years ago

Oh yeah. Love those Williams bells. Another lovely aspect of their reverse-wedgehead series.

I do keep some Williams chime boxes original if I can get them to sound good. But sometimes even after new grommets, etc... just doesn't come together in certain games. Clonkle bonkle bonk. *shrug*

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-chimes-in-a-williams-2018 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.