Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gmanphx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a customer that has a Chicago Cubs pinball with a transformer that intermittently shorts the coil voltage across the 5volt feature lamps. Resulting in burnt out bulbs, blown fuse and of course no feature lamps. I've monitored the voltage and am almost 100 % certain the insulation is breaking down inside the transformer. Steve at Pinball Resource doesn't have a transformer for that pin.

My question and seeking input from this community is :

Can I isolate the wires for the 5 volts from the transformer and connect a 15 amp switching power supply to supply voltage for the feature lamps?

#2 4 years ago

I don't know why you couldn't, but if you do, make sure that you're not pulling more amps from the 115V source than the machine is fused for, and don't forget to add a fuse on the power supply outlet.

I would also keep searching for a replacement transformer from that era. If the transformer is shorting internally, it will only get worse.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I don't know why you couldn't, but if you do, make sure that you're not pulling more amps from the 115V source than the machine is fused for, and don't forget to add a fuse on the power supply outlet.
I would also keep searching for a replacement transformer from that era. If the transformer is shorting internally, it will only get worse.

I solved the problem. It ended up being the wires from the pop bumper fuse block that daisy chains and also are used on some switches (which is weird) one of brackets on a switch was touching a lamp socket. I only found it by cutting wire ties and tracing the wire as it split off in different directions.
Definitely, didn't expect to find a short on a switch bracket from a coil affecting feature lamps.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-chicago-cubs-transformer-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.