• Latest reply 1 year ago by ezed123
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

solenoids (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi all. I’ve always been a Bally or Williams guy but am currently trying to resurrect a Gottlieb System 1 Charlie’s Angels game for a friend. The game was a total mess with coils and wires missing but with help from a friend and lots of pics from others we were able to re-populate the under side of the playfield. We put in a new Ni-Wumpf mpu (that is the original version from 2011) with a Boston Pinball driver board and a Gulf Pinball power supply. There were NO boards at all in the game when my friend got it.

So, the game now boots up and coins up. We decided to put chimes in instead of the horrible be-bop sound board. New board connector harness from mpu to driver board. Set dip switches on mpu for Charlie’s Angels. We have lights, all switches work, all switches score. But regarding solenoids, I only have the 3 chime solenoids and the left side drop target reset coil.

No other coils work in game play or test mode. When I ground out individual coils when the game is coined up, only the 4 working coils fire (3 chimes and 1 target reset). Flippers also do not work.

I have all the boards grounded properly. Not sure where to go with this.

I would appreciate any help please. Gottlieb games always make me crazy.

Thanks! Ed

#2 1 year ago

If grounding a coil does not make it operate, you most probably have a break in the +24V chain. There are usually 2 wires in coil + side, one for incoming 24V and the other goes to next coil in chain. Follow the wire from the working bank reset solenoid.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks @tuukka. I will check that first to see if I have continuity between coils on those wires, then check +24vdc. I wasn’t totally sure if Gottlieb coils were daisy changed like Bally and Williams as I read somewhere that some coils are fired by the mpu and some by switches. I will report back after checking

#4 1 year ago

Flippers, bumpers and slingshots are controlled by direct switches, but even those are daisy chained with all playfield coils.

#5 1 year ago

Ok thanks. I’ll have a look at the machine Thursday morning and let you know. Appreciate the help

#6 1 year ago

Also check the two relays under playfield. The tilt (T) relay should be off, and the game over (Q) relay should pull in at game start. Flippers, bumpers and slingshots power go through the relays.

#7 1 year ago

Ok reporting back on today’s findings @Tuukka. When I power the game on, the coin door lock out coil energizes immediately (which it should according to Pinwiki). Then when I coin up and start a game, neither the Q relay or the T relay energize. Thus without the Q relay energizing, I think that’s why I don’t have power for the coils.

Voltage checks. I DO have +25.2vdc at the 4 coils that do fire on the game. They are the 3 chime coils and the 5 red drop targets bank. However, I do NOT have any voltage at any of the remaining coils on the playfield. This would include 2 flippers, 2 slingshots, 2 pop bumpers. Also no voltage at the outhole kicker or the 3 white drop targets bank.

I also do not have any voltage reading at either the Q relay or the T relay. I did a continuity test from the power wires of the Q relay to the power wires at all of the coils that should work off of that relay. Continuity good to all coils. Also continuity to the 2 amp Slow blo fuse under the playfield.

However, I only have +25vdc to the 1 amp slow blo fuse under the playfield. The 2 amp slow blow fuse has no voltage.

I’m sure I’m getting close to an answer but don’t know what to do next.

Thanks! Ed

#8 1 year ago

I think your problem is the Q relay not working. Check continuity from relay coil to driver board J5 pin 18. Have you replaced the connector pins? They dont age well, and lose their springiness. Bad contacts are the most common problem in System 1 games.

The white drop target bank has its own 1 amp fuse, which is probably blown.

solenoids (resized).jpgsolenoids (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago

Ok thanks @Tuukka. I will check that as soon as I get in front of the machine again. Appreciate you!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

Ok thanks Tuukka. I will check that as soon as I get in front of the machine again. Appreciate you!

J-5? Hmm, that sounds familiar

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Tuukka thanks so much for all the advice. Solved! After verifying I had continuity to all wires and pins, we re-pinned the J5 connector on the driver board AND both ends of the short connector between the power supply board and the mpu. Now we finally got +25.2vdc to the Q relay and we were set. Had one incorrect connection at the first slingshot which shorted and blew the 5 amp slo blo on the power brick but after correctly wiring that slingshot we had all coils working downstream including the flippers.

Thanks again for all your help. Now we just need to repaint the cabinet and work out some switch adjustments and the game will be back in play.

Ed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-charlies-angels-no-solenoids-only-chimes?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.