• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LongJohns
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0983_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longjohns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Be nice if someone has one that they can verify this - hey it is a long shot.

Anyways, I was having some issues with a stepper, so ended up pulling it apart and cleaned it. Now it seems to advance/etc just fine, but having another issue with the game and I have a feeling that I didn't get the stepper back together correctly.

I had marked everything before disassembling it (learned that several years ago) and put it back together so that the marks all lined up, but it just doesn't "look" right. See attached picture - when the blue coil activates and wafer will rotate to the left (counter clockwise), and will stop in this position. To me it should rotate 1 more position as the left most contact is never within the steppers range on motion. Does this sound reasonable?

Granted the far 2 left contacts don't seemed to be within the range either - but there is no way my marks should be that far off.

I know I can just do it and see what happens, but thought I would ask.

IMG_0983_(resized).JPGIMG_0983_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

If you loosen those three screws, can you turn the disc so it lines up properly?

I don't see it being a problem, but what is the proper alignment? Should I just position it over to the left contact (1 position counter clockwise)?

Well I adjusted it and didn't make any difference.

Basically the score motor keeps running and the 1st ball relay keeps activating (it is locked, but the coil keeps energizing). Score reels are good (they reset to 0). If I manually unlock the 1st ball relay, the player unit stepper will activate and reset (along with some other coils) until it resets. I have verified the contacts on the 1st ball relay.

#4 8 years ago

On Gottlieb locking relays, for example the schematic labels them as S and SR - is S the active side or the lock side?

Edit: NM, the unlatching one would be the one with no associated switches - doh...I can be such a vegetable at times.

2 weeks later
#5 8 years ago

Just to update this - the above orientation in my first post is correct with the advance unit all the way counter clockwise in case anyone comes across this thread in the future and theirs is all messed up.

Verified with the schematic and with game play.

Turns out this games had many switch issues - guess it sat too long in a warehouse.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longjohns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-challenger-issue-maybe-you-can-offer-some-stepper-advise?tu=longjohns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.