(Topic ID: 171242)

Gottlieb Centigrade 37 Startup Issue

By NeonNoodle

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Everything was working fine. Game powers up, GI circuits turn on and lite with power switch. Machine is set up to accept coins, so when a quarter is inserted the credit counter advances. But then...nothing at all when start button is pressed. No sound of anything happening whatsoever.

The smoking gun on this one (and hopefully a clue to get it resolved) is that I think my kid interrupted the start up sequence by killing power (with the power switch) in the middle of it.

At a loss on this one. Any guidance would be appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

If someone turned off the power in the midst of the start sequence, it could be as simple as the score motor having stopped in between the designed rest positions. Before spending time testing the start sequence, reach inside the main cabinet and give the score motor a spin (with the game turned on) and see if that solves the issue.

Lee

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply Lee. It doesn't seem to be that easy unfortunately. I actually manually activated all of the relays on the main board, most of which made the score motor turn, so that does not appear to be stuck or out of synch.

#4 7 years ago

Ok, so there are credits showing in the credit window of the backglass and pressing the start button does nothing at all (does not decrement a credit)?

If so, there are a number of switches that need to be closed (conducting) for the start button to energize the coils for the start relay (S) and the "subtract replay unit".

There is the zero-position switch on the credit unit itself, a normally closed (NC) switch on the hold relay (R), an NC switch on the 2nd chute relay (W), an NC switch at motor position 1C (has an orange and a maroon/green wire on the tab ends), an NC switch at motor position 2B (has maroon/green and slate colored wires), and an NC anti-cheat switch (I have no idea where that is located).

I suggest starting with the first switch and inspecting each to see if they are conducting. Sometimes, these switches will be appear to be making contact, but are still not conducting. Sometimes it helps to put a micro-alligator clip to hold the contacts closed while troubleshooting.

Lee

#5 7 years ago

Thanks a bunch for this Lee...you set me on the right path on this one. Using what you listed and the schematic, I have isolated the issue to either the credit unit or the hold relay. Everything else in the path is good. Ran out of troubleshooting time but will continue....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-centigrade-37-startup-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.