• Latest reply 4 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb_wire_codes (resized).jpg
Gottlieb_Caveman_Lights_corrected (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cujo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Well, Caveman just started to do this yesterday:

When the pin is turned on, all the coils fire immediately & I think some stay locked on.

I looked inside the coin door and I can see the free game knocker fire and stay locked until I power off. I see the pop bumpers all fire once and all the insert lights come on and stay on. I dare not let it stay on for more than 2-3 seconds so I power pin off immediately to avoid frying coils or transistors.

I am not very familiar with Gottlieb issues like I am with Bally/Williams, so any suggestions what to check first would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Read the Pinwiki and do the ground upgrades.
Check the connectors for bad pins.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Thanks for the reply. I did ground the connector between the MPU board and the DRIVER board some time ago from TNT's youtube video but that's the only "extra" grounding work I have done. Do you really think that my issue is because of the GND issue? This is a really clean game so doubt it's acid or corrosion.
I have already pulled, wiped connectors w/ soft cloth and reseated all the connectors in the backbox. Funny thing is it did this lock up thing Saturday AM, came back later in afternoon and it started fine. Played a great game. Powered off pin. Went to turn it back on Sunday and back to that coil fire lockup sound as soon as I flip the power. It's definitely not forgiving this time.

#4 4 years ago

So I am thinking about buying a Rottendog MPU080 MPU board. Not sure what I need to fix this lock on THUNK issue but the replay knocker fires and stays on. The GI flashes briefly, then all the insert lights come on and stay on.
I'm no Gottlieb expert and from what I read they can be a real headache to work on so was hoping that the Rottendog may be the way to go?

#5 4 years ago

Update: Ok, this Caveman is possessed. Turn on this morning, all is fine now. Go figure. The F11 fuse was blown so replaced with 2A SLOBLO.
I did go thru the bottom cabinet yesterday, tightened up all the grounds and I do have the newer pair of capacitors in there someone replaced before I got pin.

Anyhow, another question for someone with a schematic.

My 5X insert light only works if I pull the top edge of Connector A3-J3 out just a smidge. Push the connector back on firmly, the 5X insert light will not work.
Which pin on that connector do I need to inspect, clean or change that controls the 5X light?

THANKS!
CuJo

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

How odd....
I think they made a mistake in the schematics.
A3J4 in this case should be A3J3.
The board schematic is correct, but the light assignment listing isn't.

That is a good catch. It is labeled wrong in the manual, isn't it?
What does the little "544" mean? So it's pin 5 on the connector?
Thanks so much!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

544 is the color of the wire.
It is a white wire with 3 stripes on it, 5 (green) 4 (yellow) 4 (yellow).
Pin 5 of connector A3J3.[quoted image]

Thanks Peter!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cujo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-caveman-coils-fire-at-power-on?tu=cujo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.