Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MC35
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Where to begin... So I've been working on Caveman for a while. I have replaced many of the IC's on the MPU and I/O board. The ground mods are complete, and I've rebuilt the reset section.
When I got this only a few of the lights on the backbox would light up and that was it. I am so close to playing this now it's frustrating. So here is what it's doing now.
It coins up, I can hit the credit button, the scores go into gameplay, displaying 00 in the #1 player and credits go down 1 and ball in play is shown. The ball does not shoot out nor do the flippers work. None of the switches activate either. It just sets there playing the background audio. The monitor appears to stay in attract mode (maybe that's normal, I've never played this game).
All the tests appear to work, the only oddity is in the switch test #18. It displays "16", which according to the manual, switch 16 doesn't exist.
When I run the joystick test, the monitor displays everything as advertised. The only odd issue with that is, according to the manual "The video section then exercises the lines back to the pinball, via, the switch matrix. This part of the test is displayed in the "BALL IN PLAY" window in the lightbox. The codes sent are: Strobe 0......., Strobe 1......." During this part of the joystick test, Strobe 0 displays as advertised, but Strobe 1 appears to run fine but the display in ball in play window is glitchy every time.
I have replaced the 3 8212's on the I/O board and the 3 6532's on the MPU. I suspect one of the 74LS368's on the I/O board were bad when I replaced the 8212's and potentially took them out. I have since replaced the 368's which is how I have gotten this far. I am going to be re-ordering the 6532's for the MPU and 8212's and replacing them again, but I'm reluctant to replace them again because I think something took them out.
Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
Thanks,

#2 9 years ago

On a Gottlieb80, nothing registers for gameplay until the ball kicks over. So, it may coin up, take the credit, display the ball in play, play the background music, but until that ball kicks over into the shooter lane, nothing is going to register. Does the trough switch register? Simply could need the switch cleaned, or the connector to the driver board that drives that coil. Test the coil.

What is switch number 18 (or 16) tied to?

I had a Mars god of war that drove me to the brink of insanity, all because a wire was not in the right place on a connector that looked factory/stock. You just never know...

System 80 anything is fun to work on (not really) but I guarantee when you do get it going you'll feel like a king.

GL!

#3 9 years ago

Thanks! The coil tests fine, I did have to replace the driver transistor for it, but not it's fine.
Switch 16, on test #18 isn't tied to anything according to the manual, which is why I question it. The trough switch may be the key though, so I will take another look. I didn't realize the game would be idle until the ball kicks out. I'll dig in a bit deeper on the trough.
Thanks again, I'll report back!

#4 9 years ago

So the trough switch was not registering. The switch diode was open. Got it to play a game, but randomly tilts. Now looking into that. Thanks for getting me in the right direction.

#5 9 years ago

AHh, cool.
Random tilts, hmmm. Seems like I may have had that problem before too with a Gottlieb.
I know I had this on a Bally Star Trek, it was because the manual was hitting the tilt inside the cab

Doubt your issue is that, but check inside the wall to the cabinet to confirm and don't forget the slam switch under playfield as well as the coin door.

#6 9 years ago

Don't forget the bridge rectifiers and the orange caps near them, they can cause random tilts too.

Steve

#7 9 years ago

the random Tilt was from U4 on the I/O board. It also fixed the erroneous switch #16 error. I had to take U6 from the I/O and put it in U4, so U6, which I think has something to do with the lamp driver, needs to be replaced, but I've played about 15 games on it now without a tilt. Thanks for the help. Almost 100% now!!

1 week later
#8 9 years ago

Anyone ever figure out the triggering of the audio during the video game play. The background audio works when playing in the video game, but none of the speech works. It does self test with speech. Just not sure how the Speech is triggered during videogame play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-caveman-assistance-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.