Spindle2 (resized).jpg
Spindle1 (resized).jpg
Spindle1 (resized).jpg
Pinball Machines (resized).jpg
72348652-8C50-4667-9791-DB69C3D10C30 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5735 (resized).jpg
Relay33 (resized).jpg
Relay2 (resized).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Thanks again to all you guys for your help. Unfortunately I do not have the meter you are referring to. Is this something I can order from Amazon and if so please tell me what I am looking for. Thanks.

#52 3 years ago

I can't believe you own 7 pinball machines and don't own an ohm meter - how can that be?! You can buy them for as little as about $10 anywhere, just google ohm meter or multimeter. I personally would spend at least $50 and get a decent one. Make sure you get one that has clip on leads at least. Mine has probes that you can screw the clips on. Are you sure you can't just borrow one from a friend or neighbor?

Another option would be to ship the machine down here to Florida and I could do the testing for the price of postage.

#53 3 years ago

Funny I’ll get right on it but it may take a while to do this. I’ll check around here tomorrow to see if I can’t come up with one locally. If not I will have to order one.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from MiloMV:

Funny I’ll get right on it but it may take a while to do this. I’ll check around here tomorrow to see if I can’t come up with one locally. If not I will have to order one.

You know I'm just kidding with you, right? I have rebuilt the relay and it steps through all positions with no hangups now. It actually wasn't too bad when I got it, but it is "optimized" now. I put a very thin layer of Steve Young's magic contact disc "butter" on the wiper boards as well - I have always had good luck with that stuff. So, I'll box it up and get it in the mail tomorrow. Since the bonus scoring was sometimes marginally working before on your game - who knows - this might be enough to put it over the hump. I have seen stranger things happen. Think positive and good luck!

#55 3 years ago

The problem is on the bonus countdown, right? Id be looking at the switch in the o relay that’s in the schematic clip that you shared. That’s what gates the score motor pulses to the stepper.

You’ve also got 2 Jones plugs in the circuit between the motor board, the backbox, and the stepper. This machine looks remarkably clean, but those connectors have a way of oxidizing over the years. There’s lots of debate on the best way to clean them. I’ve done alcohol and a scotchbrite pad, a dremel brush, and most recently, CLR (calcium, rust, lime remover) all with success.

Dave

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

The problem is on the bonus countdown, right? Id be looking at the switch in the o relay that’s in the schematic clip that you shared. That’s what gates the score motor pulses to the stepper.

The circuit that pulses the stepper for bonus scoring is highlighted in red. No "O" relay switch in that branch. If you are looking at the other branch with the "O" relay switch, that is a recovery circuit to reset the "I" relay back to it's home position, if for instance, you install the relay without having it in the home position or the machine was turned off in the middle of scoring bonus. I didn't show the rest of that branch, but it is in series with the 5-impulse SCM 1A switch. It would send the required pulses to "home" the stepper in one score motor cycle. That is the only purpose of that branch of the circuit - it normally never gets used.

#57 3 years ago

Latest update - and again thanks to you all.

First, believe it or not, I could not find an ohm or multi-meter anywhere that I tried here on the Island including the hardware stores and even Napa. So I had to order one from Amazon and it is taking a while to get here but should arrive today or tomorrow in case it is needed.

However, I just received the rebuilt "I" relay back from sudsy7 (kudos to him!) and reinstalled it. The extremely good news is that after running it through about five games with various combinations of targets down, it is now working exactly as it is supposed to . . . with one little exception.

On ball 5, the last ball, it is supposed to score double bonuses for each of the hands you make. So far if I have like the first and third hands lit it will score the doubles for those and the arrow progresses along nicely. But when I have all five hands lit, it is a bit erratic usually scoring doubles for for some and not for others and it is different every time but usually the top two hands don't get doubled.

One other thing I just noticed as I was trying to get it up to the fifth ball, if the first ball drains without hitting any targets, the ball count stays on 1. I need to flick a target down then put the ball in the drain and it goes to two. But after that I can drain the ball with no targets down and the ball count continues to advance.

Other than that, so far, it seems to be working fine. Any ideas about the double bonuses and ball count. Hopefully no other glitches will occur as I continue to play games on it.

#58 3 years ago

I almost hate to tell you this, but the double bonus advancement is made by the "J" relay, which is... another "AS" relay. It closes a switch on every other score motor cycle to "make" the circuit for the "I" relay to advance. If it is sticking intermittently, then you experience what you are seeing. Advance it by hand to see if the problem is obvious. This one doesn't have wiper boards so it is bit easier to adjust. Also, this one doesn't have a jones plug, so you can't remove it from the game unless you unsolder it.

As for the ball advance problem you are talking about, I don't think that is a problem. On the first ball of the game, you must score points (the 10, 100, or 1000 point relay must be energized at least once) in order to pull in the "U" (First Ball) relay. The player unit will not advance until the "U" relay is energized. The reason for that is that the trough switch normally triggers the player unit to advance, but you don't want that to happen the first time the ball is kicked to the shooter lane, otherwise you would be at ball 2, instead of ball 1 at the start of the game.

#59 3 years ago

Thanks again for your insights - now I know about why you need to score points on the first ball. Assume this is the same for most games. Phew! No problem there.

I found the "J" relay and it definitely has a problem I clicked up the lever with the pawl by hand carefully in the direction of the red arrow on my photo and a good deal of the time the spindle did not turn. I am not really sure yet for the reason but it seems to me that the lever that is pulled up by the solenoid doesn't have enough play to go back far enough to let the pawl engage the next tooth. However on first look it doesn't seem like I can make it go back any further. This may not be the reason it is not engaging but this relay is definitely not doing what it is supposed to. Not to take the easy way out, but instead of trying to fix it, is it possible to just order a new one and plop it in from Pinball Resource or other dealer?

#60 3 years ago

Forgot to attach the photo. Here it is.

J Relay (resized).jpgJ Relay (resized).jpg
#61 3 years ago

If your not getting a big enough "bite" when you pull the armature back, that will definitely make it stick. You should be clearing the next ratchet tooth by about "1/2 a tooth" so there will be no doubt that the finger will engage the next tooth. In other words, you want the finger to "overtravel" on it's stroke to make sure it engages the next tooth when released. One of the reasons that it can look like you don't have enough "travel" is because the ratchet spring is not adjusted correctly. If there is too much "backlash", what will happen is that when you pull the armature back the drive finger will drag on the ratchet teeth and actually rotate it backwards slightly, so you think you don't have enough travel, but because the ratchet rotates back a "half a tooth", it looks like you need more "stroke" but you really just need to minimize the backlash and the stroke will automatically increase as a result. You can check the backlash by lightly turning the ratchet in the reverse direction by hand. There should be some "play" (also called backlash) - but just a little "play". Check that first. The ratchet spring has slotted holes (2 screws) to adjust it. Before you adjust it, use a Sharpie or a scribe to mark it's original position for a reference point and so you can set it back there if needed. You won't have to adjust it much.

Btw, I doubt if you would be able to find one of these specific for your game. They come in all kinds of configurations (different cams, wiper boards, switch stacks, etc).

#62 3 years ago

Hope you got it working @MiloMV. If not, I am confident you can get it working yourself, if you study it and mess with it long enough, but you can send it to me if you like and I'd be happy to adjust it for you (or perhaps send it to someone closer to you like dgAmpGuy so the turnaround time wouldn't be so long). Of course, you would have to unsolder/resolder it from the harness, which is very easy (assuming you have the equipment to do it).

#63 3 years ago

One minor note to add. In refurbishing a Card Whiz, had a similar problem. After doing everything possible to adjust and clean the I relay to get it to work correctly. Was still not always having the pawl catch. Finally traced it to the motor switch. It was adjusted with too large a gap, so was sending a very quick pulse to the coil which didn't allow a long enough full engagement of the coil and therefore pawl. Adjusted it correctly, and problem solved as the coil received a "full" pulse.

#64 3 years ago

That's good info, DCRand. I've seen score motor switch dogs that were in the wrong position, which will completely change timing, but not a mal-adjusted switch - they're usually a go or no-go thing. Interesting. Maybe that's the reason it originally wouldn't work in his machine but worked fine in mine?

#65 3 years ago

Hi Guys, Sorry but I have been a bit indisposed since sudsy7 sent along his advice for fixing the "J" relay.

I occasionally suffer from bouts of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (room spins around when head is in certain positions). Starts when you somehow make a quick jerky movement to your head usually in bed while lying down causing little particles to get into your ear canals screwing up your balance signals to the brain. The past few times I have had this it usually resolves itself after a few days but not so much this time. One week and counting. Makes you woozy and a bit unstable even when not experiencing the vertigo spinning. Unfortunately, the way I need to tilt my head to work on the "J" relay brings on the vertigo spinning and since I would rather not throw up all over the machine I need to wait until this resolves itself - hopefully soon. Sorry for the medical lecture but just wanted you to know why I haven't gotten back to you.

With all your help I am extremely confident I can get this game totally working 100% by properly adjusting the "J" relay and will have a go at it as soon as I am well enough. I will post my progress again when that happens. Thanks again for you continued support and pinball camaraderie.

#66 3 years ago

That sounds like the same condition golfer Jason Day has. I remember a few years back when he suddenly fell down during the U.S. Open and Greg Norman was talking about crystals in his ear canal causing the dizziness.

When you get back to it, maybe you want to take the playfield out of the machine and put it on a table to make access easier/more comfortable to the relay. It's just 3 connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-card-whiz-problems/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.