You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Greetings --

I'm working on a scoring issue where the 10s and 100s score reels are scoring simultaneously when the 10pt. features are triggered. For example, instead of 10pts when the rollover is triggered, it awards 110, then 220, then 330, etc. The score reels are clean and mechanically functioning properly, they zero out at reset, etc. I'm not sure where to look next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

Check the 9 position switch on the 10s reel. I suspect it is closed when it shouldn't be.

#3 5 years ago

9th position switch on the 10s reel is definitely open at 0-8 and closed at 9 as it should be. However, I have noticed that it 'sticks' (electrically) from 9 --> 0. Although perhaps it could be mechanically sticking from 9 --> 0? Through all 10pt. features (or just manually engaging the N relay), both 10s and 100s advance.

I have even intentionally held the 9th position switch far away so it doesn't contact at all and both reels are still scoring.

#4 5 years ago

The solder tabs on the 9 position switch are not bent and touching, are they?

Does the 100s reel work properly when you score a 100 point target?

The 100s reel would be moved by a closed 9 position switch and a switch on the 10s relay.

#5 5 years ago

Thank you EMsInKC! Will look into your suggestions tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

The solder tabs on the 9 position switch are not bent and touching, are they?

No. It does appear that someone (wasn't me) may have resoldered some of the other tabs, but the 9 position switch solder tabs look original.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Does the 100s reel work properly when you score a 100 point target?

Yes, it does. However, it also scores the 10s. No matter what, they are simultaneously scoring.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

The 100s reel would be moved by a closed 9 position switch and a switch on the 10s relay.

The 10s relay (N) appears to be working fine, as do the 9 position switches on both the 10s and 100s reels. Also, the 100s relay (M) is in good working order. UGH!!

#7 5 years ago

For what it's worth, the N (10pt) relay and M (100pt) relay are firing at the same time regardless of which one is pressed.

I believe at this point, I have eliminated the score reels and their respective switches as having anything to do with the issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

#8 5 years ago

The step by step approach to this kind of problem is difficult. Before resorting to that, check these 4 make/break switches that could cause the 10 and 100 point relays to fire together.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#9 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The step by step approach to this kind of problem is difficult. Before resorting to that, check these 4 make/break switches that could cause the 10 and 100 point relays to fire together.
[quoted image]

Thanks for your response HowardR! I was just looking at the schematic this afternoon and thinking the same thing, what ties these two relays together that could make them fire together. I'm away until after the new year and won't be able to pursue this until I get back. I will take a look at these 4 make/break switches when I get back.

Thanks again!

1 week later
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Bingo bingo bingo!!! I decided to start with just the first make/break switch on relay B and just lightly flexstoned it and WHADDYA know, problem fixed!! My 10s and 100s are no longer scoring simultaneously!! WHOOHOO!! I prefer the less is better approach so I'll stop there on that issue for now.

Now, I have a new issue in that the 10s chime is not working which I'll need to further troubleshoot. Any help or pointers where to start there would be appreciated!

And finally the 10s to 100s rolling over (from 90 to 100 for example, then 190 to 200, etc.) is not happening consistently but I know that's just a tweak of the 9 position switch on the 10s score reel (finicky bugger!!). I'll get that one eventually.

Thanks so much HowardR for your helpful insight!!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from footer:

10s chime is not working

This switch on the Ten Point (N) relay is responsible for activating the Tens chime.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This switch on the Ten Point (N) relay is responsible for activating the Tens chime.
[quoted image]

FIXED!!! I checked that switch on the (N) relay and could hear a hum from in the cabinet ... Checking the 10s chime unit itself, I could hear that the hum was coming from the coil for the 10s chime. Pulled the chime off and sure enough, the plunger was gummed up and stuck!! So I cleaned it up, put it back together, and all was well! Music to my pinball ears!!

I normally rebuild the chime units but haven't gotten that far yet ... so lesson learned.

Thanks again HowardR! I got the 9 position switch dialed in now on the 10s reel as well so it's rolling over the 100s reel. ALL IS WELL!!

#13 5 years ago

Glad you got it solved. I did not have the schematic so it was just guesswork on my part. Good thing Howard had the schematic and was able to point you in the right direction.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Glad you got it solved. I did not have the schematic so it was just guesswork on my part. Good thing Howard had the schematic and was able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks! I have the schematic ... just not very good at reading them yet. Howard really did help point me in the right direction for which I am very grateful!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-capt-card-scoring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.