11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by PiscisMagnus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
    Coin door (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

Hello, this is my first post. I just brought home a Gottlieb 1974 Capt Card pinball machine which is the add-a-ball version of High Hand. It is in A-one shape and plays beautifully with all the features working perfectly. Just one problem. When I turn the machine on from the button under the cabinet it is in the Tilt mode with the backglass lit up but the playfield is dark and pressing the new game button has no effect. To get it to start up, I have to open the coin door and press down on the switch in the one coin mechanisms still in the machine (no coin box is there and it is meant to be on free play). It then plays fine and after each game ends, pressing the new game button starts a new game with no problem for as many I want. However, once I shut it off at the underside power button, then turn it on again, it is in Tilt mode and I need to open the coin door and press the switch again to start the process. I would like it to just start when turning it on. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong? This is my 3rd pinball machine and the other two never did this. I do have the schematic for it but I am not sure that would help with this problem. Attached is a photo of the coin mechanism on the open coin door with a red arrow pointing to the switch I need to press to get the game out of Tilt. Thank you in advance for any help you can be!

Coin door (resized).jpg
    #2 11 months ago

Do you have the credit wheel adjusted for free play?

#3 11 months ago

I am sort of new to this and am not sure I understand. This is an add-a-ball game so there is no physical credit wheel that shows free games in a little window. Are you referring to something else? And thanks for helping out.

#4 11 months ago

You still need credits to play a game whether its add a ball or replay... it sounds like you dont have credits on the game.

The no playfield gi until you play one game after turning it on is normal.

#5 11 months ago

So still not quite sure what to do to fix it so I can turn it on and just press the new game button to play it. It is sort of acting like it wants a coin to fall on that coin box switch before allowing me to start a game. But that doesn't explain to me why 1) it is in the Tilt mode when I turn it on "TILT is lit up on the backglass; and 2) why after pushing the coin box switch it then allows me as many free games as I want by pushing the new game switch. What is different about the initial startup and future games?

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from MiloMV:

It is sort of acting like it wants a coin to fall on that coin box switch before allowing me to start a game.

Quoted from MiloMV:

What is different about the initial startup and future games?

Before the Credit Button[1] will work, the Credit Hold relay (Y) [2] has to be activated.
    Before the Credit Hold relay (Y) will work, the Start relay (S) [3] has to be activated.
    Before the Start relay (S) will work, the Coin Chute switch [4] has to be activated.

Pinball (resized).png

#7 11 months ago

My Sky Jump will turn on in “Tilt” mode with the backglass lighting on and playfield off. I think that is normal. I think that if you would jumper across the Y relay contact (2 as Howard shows it) you should be able to start the game without messing with the coin switch. Does this sound right?

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from MiloMV:

I am sort of new to this and am not sure I understand. This is an add-a-ball game so there is no physical credit wheel that shows free games in a little window. Are you referring to something else? And thanks for helping out.

you are correct. I forgot you said add-a-ball. no credit wheel. Anyhow follow HowardR's post and he will not steer you wrong.

#9 11 months ago

Thanks Howard. First I am assuming the "Credit Button" in your explanation is what I am calling the new game button which is smaller and purplish in color. So going in the normal order of things, are you saying that the coin chute switch activates the start relay which in turn activates the credit hold relay making it now possible to push the credit button to start the game. It seems as if in order to set this game on total free play by just pushing the Credit/New Game button, the Credit Hold relay (Y) needs to be activated. Is Jason right that if I jumper across the Y relay this should accomplish what I want. Again sorry to be such a slow learner, but Y at your number 2 to me looks like a single switch. I thought a relay was a group of switches that are manipulated together all at once. It is hard for me to tell what is a relay and what is a switch on a schematic. I will learn eventually. For now I guess in simple language, do you think it is possible to set this game for free play without having to open the coin door and pressing the coin switch and what do I need to do. Again, many thanks for your patience and help.

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from MiloMV:

Thanks Howard. First I am assuming the "Credit Button" in your explanation is what I am calling the new game button which is smaller and purplish in color. So going in the normal order of things, are you saying that the coin chute switch activates the start relay which in turn activates the credit hold relay making it now possible to push the credit button to start the game. It seems as if in order to set this game on total free play by just pushing the Credit/New Game button, the Credit Hold relay (Y) needs to be activated. Is Jason right that if I jumper across the Y relay this should accomplish what I want. Again sorry to be such a slow learner, but Y at your number 2 to me looks like a single switch. I thought a relay was a group of switches that are manipulated together all at once. It is hard for me to tell what is a relay and what is a switch on a schematic. I will learn eventually. For now I guess in simple language, do you think it is possible to set this game for free play without having to open the coin door and pressing the coin switch and what do I need to do. Again, many thanks for your patience and help.

If you look at the schematic above, the relays have to squiggly lines with a letter above them. That represents the coil for that particular relay. The switches that are a part of the circuit that activates that coil and thus that relay are in the line that leads away from the relay. They can be normally open, normally closed, make/break. The switches will also have a letter or a score motor switch showing which relay they are on.

#11 11 months ago

Thanks EMsInKC for the explanation of how to interpret the relays and switches on the schematic. I think I understand now. However it is hard for me to make the leap from the drawing to the actual machine. So I am still hoping that someone who understands all this better than I do might tell me if it is possible for me to set this game on total free play without having to open the coin door and pressing the coin switch. And if so, give me simple instructions as to what I need to do to accomplish this. All of your help is very much appreciated.

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from MiloMV:

And if so, give me simple instructions as to what I need to do to accomplish this. All of your help is very much appreciated.

Clay Harrell described the solution to setting GTB Add-A-Ball games to "free play" in his EM repair guide.
    Go visit his site at pinrepair.com and look for the link to his EM Repair Guide.
    The solution is in Section 4b.
    After you're done, send an email to Clay at cfh@provide.net and thank him for his service to the hobby.

#13 11 months ago

Thank you. That article clarified what I need to do. Also glad for the link to the web site in general as it is a fantastic resource for a novice like me.

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from MiloMV:

Thank you. That article clarified what I need to do. Also glad for the link to the web site in general as it is a fantastic resource for a novice like me.

You're welcome, and yes it is.

For a look at Clay's private collection at Vintage Flipper World (aka VFW, aka Ann Arbor Pinball Museum),
    see post #524 in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2019

News about the 2020 show can be seen here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show
    Not to be missed!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Various Novelties
    Allteksystems
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 99.00
    $ 17.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside