(Topic ID: 140633)

Gottlieb Buccaneer weird last ball

By Paja

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My brother is resurrecting a Buccaneer , we have managed to sort out multiple issues over the phone and have got the machine working correctly for 4 balls or 2 balls on the 3 ball setting. When the LAST BALL is in play the roll over switches score as they should but the weird thing is the right flipper pulses 5 times in conjunction with the score advancing.We have traced it back to switch 1a on the score motor . If you close this switch manually when game is on last ball only it activates the flipper but does not add score. Any ideas?

#2 8 years ago

There's no intentional wiring that would tie those things together (i.e., last ball, score motor pulsing, and the right flipper), so I can only guess that there's a stray short in the wiring that's allowing the signal to "jump the tracks". One place to look would be the wiring around the score motor switches, given their proximity and how much they're packed in. A stray wire strand, or back tabs touching - something along those lines.

The 'last ball' part of it is curious too though, since there's nothing that logically changes during play while the last ball is active. But the Ball Count unit does have wiring on the wiper disc to indicate when it's on ball 3, 4 and 5 (the bottom pair of wiper fingers). Pretty remote from the flipper though.

The switch at motor 1A is what provides the five pulses for the scoring, when either the 500 or 5000 is scored. The rollovers activate either the D or E relay.

Since it only happens with those, could also manually activate D and E and see which one causes it.

Probably will take some careful visual inspection to track down though.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks DirtFlipper will take your advice and see what we can find

#4 8 years ago

Hey DirtFlipper my brother informs me that the clip holding the wiring loom that runs over the top of the reset was broken. It appears the loom was being dragged over the bank every time the playfield was lifted which had bared some wires which were touching . Fixed the wires and clip now working as it should. Still can't understand why it was only last ball but it's all good now. Thanks for your input. Cheers Paul

#5 8 years ago

Good find, thanks for the follow up!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-buccaneer-weird-last-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.