You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
Capture3 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

First of let me start by saying hello to All. I’m really glad to find a source for help from genuinely knowledgeable people who share the same interest in these old machines. My name probably says it as I am pretty clueless and have had no training in repairing these things but I will say I’ve had an electro mechanical machine (Bally non voyage) for 20 + years and keep it up and running like a top but... this Gottlieb Buccaneer is driving me nuts. It was a garage sale find and I thought it would look really good sitting next to my old Bally machine but its fighting me. I’ve actually got it up and running and all lights working and swapped all the rubber parts and it actually plays nice but there are 2 functions that I just can’t get up and running. One is the plays counter. It will add games or “ increase the number “ but will not take plays away or “reduce the number. I have cleaned all the contacts on the counter mechanism and it looked like the solenoid would sometimes try and pull weakly but not always and never enough to actually reduce the play count. I went ahead and ordered a new Genuine Gottlieb solenoid from Marco and installed it and then it would pop a 10 amp fuse inside the machine on the far left inside 3 fuse panel and go to tilt. When I disconnect 1 wire from that play counter solenoid the tilt clears and the machine will fire back up and play fine again. I should mention that I have no schematic for this machine and almost all of the individual paper parts labels from the bottom of the play field have fallen off from time and gravity I guess. Other than this counter issue the match mechanism lights never come on but I haven’t looked to far into this as this counter issue has had me baffled for about 40 hours. I can follow instructions and do know how to use a multimeter and solder and am willing to listen and learn. If anyone has any ideas I will be extremely greatful and glad to try anything. Thanks for any advise! Clueless in Sacramento

#2 6 years ago

1) Do you have the 1948 Gottlieb Buccaneer or the 1976 Gottlieb Buccaneer?
2) Buy the schematic.

#3 6 years ago

I have the 1976

#4 6 years ago

Spring for the schematic. To own an EM is to fix an EM.

#5 6 years ago

The first thing to check is does the unit subtract credits if you manually operate the plunger?

If it is mechanically OK then here's the schematic snippet below. Check the ZERO POS. "REPLAY" UNIT switch is closed when there are credits > 0.

You say the rest of the game works OK so you can eliminate the Motor 2C and S contacts as they also also operate the ball count and AX relays (which we can assume work).

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

For the match lights not working...have you checked the bulbs are all OK?

Is the FS Relay (00-90 UNIT) in the game? It's in the backbox and is connected to a couple of Jones plugs (see pic). These steppers can be missing; the game will play OK just have no match.
Capture3 (resized).JPGCapture3 (resized).JPG

If the unit FS relay is there then check the R changeover contact and the fingers on the stepper disc.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-buccaneer-driving-me-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.