• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys! I’m stumped again. I have a Gottlieb Bronco and have two problems, but I’m not sure if they are related...

Problem 1: The game starts in 4 player mode when only hitting the start button once.

Problem 2: The score motor continues to run after player 4 ball 3 drains, so game over is not engaging.

I do have the schematics for the game, but I’m a novice when it come to reading them and the coin unit / player unit area of the schematics have me confused.

Any suggestions?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Slowhand:

Problem 1: The game starts in 4 player mode when only hitting the start button once.

If the Subtract Coin unit coil doesn't activate when you reset the game, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.
Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

Quoted from Slowhand:

Problem 2: The score motor continues to run after player 4 ball 3 drains, so game over is not engaging.

Which of these switches is closed when the motor keeps running?
Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Slowhand:

Hey guys! I’m stumped again. I have a Gottlieb Bronco and have two problems, but I’m not sure if they are related...
I do have the schematics for the game, but I’m a novice when it come to reading them and the coin unit / player unit area of the schematics have me confused.
Any suggestions?

I'd suggest you ask a local pinhead to come over and show you how to repair the machine. Some are willing to share troubleshooting techniques and can show you how to read a schematic. You need to understand basic electricity though.

#4 5 years ago

When Bronco gets into the game over sequence it counts down the players for match.
So from 4-3-2-1-game over.
If it doesn't get back into the game over sequence it will stay on 4 players.
So... something is wrong with the sequence and I think it will be on one of the trip & latch relays just behind the coin stepper...

#5 5 years ago

I’ve seen many coin units gummed up from solidified grease. A lot of times it’s the ratchet pawl shafts that are stuck. Take pictures of the gear side of the unit before taking it apart for proper reassembly.

#6 5 years ago

Being able to read a schematic is crucial to owning an EM machine. Read this, from Clay's excellent guide: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

#7 5 years ago

After taking your suggestions I further educated myself on schematics and was able to diagnose the problem. The previous owner of the game reassembled the stepper unit incorrectly causing the game to stay in 4 player mode. Thanks to some helpful pictures online I was able to reassemble the unit correctly and the problem went away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-bronco-stuck-in-4-player-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.