View topic image gallery

switchshort (resized).jpg
Bronco1 (resized).jpg
0Bronco-Work-03 (resized).jpg
0Bronco-Work-02 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
motorcard (resized).jpg
Corral SM (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM +
"sometimes faults" are problematic. I try to find out about "is there a pattern in the fault - reproducable ?".
In pinside we once had an discussion "what is a turn of the Score-Motor (?)" - since then I always write about "a Gottlieb-Score-Motor does a turn of 120 degrees (means a third of a revolution)" - these motors are built 120 degrees symmetrical. On position 1A on the motor there are switches that are closed five times when the motor makes an turn of 120 degrees --- closed 15 times in a full revolution - so 15 different edges on the bottom cam (level A) close an specific switch. If these edges on the bottom cam are just a little different one to the other(s): The switch may close or "just not close".

Raise the playfield - make "300 points plus an bonus" - watch the motor - do You see a turn of 120 degrees (?) - make it again and again "300 points plus an bonus" --- see it (?) - every time a turn of 120 degrees. Toggle-off the pin - with some paint or a marker or a piece of tape: Mark one of the three Home-Positions (motor is at rest at an Home-Position). Toggle-on the pin, start a game - make the maximum of bonus --- then do none or once or twice "300 points plus an bonus" so the motor stops on the marked "Home-Position" --- THEN trigger the Outhole-Switch so the Bonus-Count-Down starts. How many thousends points do You get -
then on the next ball again --- make the maximum of bonus --- then do none or once or twice "300 points plus an bonus" so the motor stops on the marked "Home-Position" --- THEN trigger the Outhole-Switch so the Bonus-Count-Down starts. How many thousends points do You get -
then on the next ball again --- make the maximum of bonus --- then do none or once or twice "300 points plus an bonus" so the motor stops on the marked "Home-Position" --- THEN trigger the Outhole-Switch so the Bonus-Count-Down starts. How many thousends points do You get -
Do this several times - do You ALWAYS get the same amount of "thousands of bonus" ? IF (if, if) "Yes": Would be a strong sign / hint that the problem is on the motor-1A-Switch. Greetings Rolf

0Bronco-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Bronco-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM
Your (post-16) "usually scores no more than 2000" is not precise --- I am trying to find out about a pattern. The "500, 300, 3000" is another problem - maybe related --- I would like to stick to "Bonus-count-Down problem". It is getting late in Switzerland - I go to sleep, till tomorrow. Greetings Rolf

#23 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM
You may read the text following --- the important text comes after ++++++++++:
thanks for doing the test(s). What I meant is: You start a One-Player-Game. You play Ball-1 --- before loosing the ball You bring the Bonus-Unit to maximum (question: Is 10*** or 15*** or 20*** the maximum ?) --- You look at the Score-Motor - one of the home-positions You have marked --- by chance the motor is in the marked home-position --- if "not" You then do the make "300 points plus an bonus" once - You maybe do it twice --- You do have "max bonus" and You do have "motor is in marked Home-Position" - THEN You let drain the ball and count the many 1000 points You get. The pin gives You the second ball - You do the same procedure ... You get ball-3, ball-4 (same procedure).

I take the first line of Your results "4000 4000 3000 4000 3000 4000 3000 4000" --- AAA:
You did expect "10*** or 15*** or 20***" but You only got a total of "4" then
You did expect "10*** or 15*** or 20***" but You only got a total of "3" then
You did expect "10*** or 15*** or 20***" but You only got a total of "4".
Hmm, another interpretation of the result is BBB: "4 out of 5 pulses in a turn of 120 degrees (motor), 4 out of 5 pulses, 3 out of 5 pulses, 4 out of 5 pulses, 3 out of 5 pulses, 4 out of 5 pulses, 3 out of 5 pulses, 4 out of 5 pulses".
It is hard to write so the other person understands --- we are on a tecnical problem - I must ask: Do You mean "AAA" or do You mean "BBB" ?

How does the feature work "collecting bonus at end of a ball" (?) We may think "The Bonus-Unit / Bonus-Ladder is stepped down one step and so we get 1000 points added to the Score-Drum".
To be precise: In the pin there are two separate features happening at the same time --- not related. One feature is "toc, toc, toc, toc, toc" five pulses per turn (120 degrees) of the motor - five times "step down the bonus-unit / bonus-ladder". The other feature is "toc, toc, toc, toc, toc" five pulses per turn (120 degrees) of the motor - five times "add 1000 points to the Score-Drum". As both features start at the same time and the features both end at the same time: We may think "The Bonus-Unit / Bonus-Ladder is stepped down one step and so we get 1000 points added to the Score-Drum" - but two features are happening - at the same period of time.

I believe the feature "stepping down the bonus-unit / bonus-ladder" works fine in Your pin - the motor runs and rhythmically "toc, toc, toc, toc, toc - little pause - toc, toc, toc, toc, toc - little pause - toc, toc, toc, toc, toc" the bonus is stepped down --- see the JPG, lower part in post-15. See my "rosa / pink" marked "motor-1A" --- rhythmically five pulses on a turn of 120 degrees (motor).

See upper part of the JPG - another switch on motor-1A-position fires rhythmically pulses (also 5 pulses in a turn of 120 degrees (motor))

++++++++++: It is complicated - the fault can be on many places --- lets do little steps in testing. Here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 SteveFury shows his 24Volt Test-Light. Make You such an Test-Light. On both ends / wires You may have an gator-clip to clip-on at a solder-lug somewhere in the pin. Some places are hard to get at - (almost) impossible to clip-on. HowardR came-up lately with an excellent idea (and it works) --- a safety-pin on one end - we can insert (almost parallel to the wire running - insert the tip of the safety-pin into the wire - through the fabric-insulation - tip and metal-wire get into contact.
Whatever way You do it - do set permanent "my yellow-1 or my yellow-2" scenario. IF (if, if) "switch-motor-1A" is good: The Test-Light MUST flash-up FIVE times when the motor makes a turn of 120 degrees. Question: In Your pin ? Depending on Your answer we will proceed. Greetings Rolf

0Bronco-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Bronco-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#28 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM
my mother tongue is german - (words from a dix) - slangy / sloppy / casually written text in english: I maybe do not understand. "Hot" to me means: Using a meter and the meter says "Hot - current may be ready to flow - maybe means 'connection' " --- what is Your "hot" ?
You say "put the lead ..." - does this means You use an Jumper-Wire instead of an test-light ? You did put the lead FROM WHERE ? to 1A inside switch --- Your list in post-9 says "Motor-1A is in S-position - Inside switch is for to reset Tens and Hundreds Score-Units - second switch is for to add the player-unit - THIRD switch is for scoring and adds bonus". So 1A INSIDE SWITCH is the wrong switch --- it must be THIRD Switch with wires bl-or, red+wh.
You say "put the lead ... triggered ... light went on five times and scored 5000" - do You mean "lights went on five times and the Score-Drums scored five times 1000 points" ?

Look at the JPG in post-23 - not mentioned in the JPG: On the left side of the coil on L-Relay are soldered-on two wires of color-black --- THIS is the clip-on point for (test yellow-1) Test-Light. The other clip-on point for (test yellow-1) Test-Light is solderlug with wire-bl-or at motor-1A-THIRD-Switch. Maybe hard to get at - hard to clip-on a gator-clip there - may want to use the "safety-pin trick" (?).

"Test yellow-2" is almost the same as test-yellow-1 --- from coil on L-Relay side two wires of color-black --- to "Switch on J-Relay, Solderlug with wire-bl-or".

Establish permanent "Test-Light-yellow-1" or "Test-Light-yellow-2" --- plug-in the main power cord, toggle-on, start a game, play --- the pin must act "as before" --- and new - every time the motor turns a turn of 120 degrees: Your Test-Light flashes-up five times (((no other strange behaviour of the pin - no strange adding 5 times 1000 points))).

Please clarify "text in post-25" - please do set permanent "Test-Light as yellow-1 or as yellow-2" - write about "reliable / always / exactly flashing-up five times of the Test-Light when the motor makes a turn of 120 degrees" (?) Greetings Rolf

#30 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM
thanks for clarification. You did on Your own a good, helpful test - Test-Light clipped-on at "side-wire-black on coil on L-Relay" - and the other end on the INSIDE-Switch on motor-1A --- the schematics at schematics-I-17 says "wire-of-color-blk+wh, wire-of-color-red-wh" - I assume You used lug "blk+wh" (?) --- and the pleasing result was: The Test-Lite flashes-up (rhythmically) five times in a turn of 120 degrees (Score-Motor). EXACTLY THIS result You should get when clipping-on at THIRD switch on motor-position-1A - clip-on at lug-wire-of-color-bl-or.
IF (if, if) the Test-Light lights-up and stays lit: THIS THIRD-Switch on motor-position-1A is FAULTY. Greetings Rolf

#31 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM
a kind of add-on to my post-30: In the beginning I was chasing a theory - by now my theory has been proven wrong --- so I write: My (proven wrong) theory was: 1 or 2 or 3 ... of the edges on the motor at position-1, level-A, actuating the switch with wire-of-color-bl-or, wire-of-color-red+wh - edges slightly different / other --- NOT truely closing motor-1A-switch. So I said - lets try to find a pattern --- YOU always max the bonus - YOU always bring the motor into "marked" Home-Position - then let the pin collect the bonus - YOU make an statistic and we can clue from the result of the statistic. Obsolete - obsolete --- NOW we are on the problem / question: How, why is this motor-1A-switch faulty always closed (?). Greetings Rolf

#33 5 years ago

Hi Bill_EM
my Surf Champ has only a few wires on the Score-Motor having nylon insulation. Do not hurry with these many wires on Your Score-Motor. See the JPG in post-15 - the switch in question (motor-1A) ALSO helps on another feature --- lets question this other feature: Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=388&picno=18207&zoom=1 the Eject-Holes on the left and the right - when an Eject-Hole is lighted: You must get Zero or 1 or 2 or 3 BONUS - depending on how many Drop-Targets You have made to drop.
Question: Does this feature (Eject-Holes and some bonus) truely work in Your pin --- the motor-1A switch is used for this feature. Greetings Rolf

#35 5 years ago

Hi Bill
I made a fault in thinking - I thought "Eject-Hole feature tells us if the motor-1A-THIRD-Switch is faulty" --- this thinking is faulty - the Motor-3C, -3B, -1D do the pulsing on the bonus - motor-1A-THIRD-Switch being good OR being faulty always closed.
To the "Eject-Hole feature" You report 'fault in counting points' - I would like to look at later.

I want to stick to motor-1A-THIRD-Switch - I believe "stuck - faulty always closed". You once tested (for fun) motor-1A-INSIDE-Switch - using the Test-Light and in this test the Test-Light flashed-up FIVE times. Please use the Test-Light (again) on motor-1A-THIRD-Switch - test again - do You get FIVE times flashing or do You get "steady lit". I assume You clip-on correct so when You have "steady lit": The motor-1A-THIRD-Switch MUST be faulty always closed --- please inspect this motor-1A-THIRD-Switch. Greetings Rolf

#38 5 years ago

Hi Bill
thanks for the observation. I go to sleep - too late for me to start brooding --- first idea: some kind of "backlash" (?). You may have to unsolder wires --- I can see wirings in the schematics --- I cannot see "shorts" in the pin.
the time I had to bring back to life my bought pins: I did some rude things --- to unsolder is a wire: That is quite easy to be done - BUT soldering-on back / again at this place down in the bottom cabinet - at the sidewall - angled - hmm. So I sometimes was rude - I bought me from K-Mart (such stores), automotive department, car electrics: Male and female plugs I can crimp-on with a pair of pliers --- instead of unsoldering a wire: I took an old scissors and cut the wire (about 3 to 5 inches away from the solder-on lug). A cigarette-lighter to burn away the fabric insulation - then cramp-on the male and female plugs (can all be done with one hand). I then could plug together or un-plug - as I needed at a given time.
So You want to contemplate (?) about "how good am I (means You) in unsoldering / soldering back on at these 'hard to get at places in the pin' " - (((and may buy such K-Mart plugs)). Till tomorrow. Greetings Rolf
P.S.: I just read Your post-37 --- have a very good look at this third motor-1A-switch "drop of solder ? doghair crap of wire ? maybe YOU make the short with these clumsy gator-clips ?

#40 5 years ago

Hi Bill
me getting up this morning - reading good news --- great, YOU found the problem. In the pin some stuff (switches) are mounted side by side - making an short. In the schematics these switches are shown on places far apart --- very hard to get the idea of "creating a short".

Thanks for the picture in post-39. Silly me - I happen to like to see "topics marked as solved" - please in here - (beeing in post-1) - on top, on the right --- some icons to click-on - please click-on "Mark as resolved". Greetings Rolf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-bronco-not-collecting-bonus-correctly?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.