Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb Score Motor 3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
93968857-F053-45C8-84AA-7074FD35D2E4.jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am working through a 1964 Big Top and am close to having everything working thanks to MarkG and the EM online clinic gurus. One final issue is that the game scores 400 points when a bottom out lane rollover is lit for 300. This happens almost every time regardless of which side is lit…although once in a blue moon (about once every 50 tries) the game actually scores the 300 points correctly.

Would anyone be able to help me troubleshoot this? I’ve been diving into the schematic but I’m still on the steep end of the learning curve with those. Here’s the part of the schematic that I *think* is the correct place to look, but I’m not sure. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
93968857-F053-45C8-84AA-7074FD35D2E4.jpeg93968857-F053-45C8-84AA-7074FD35D2E4.jpeg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

the game scores 400 points when a bottom out lane rollover is lit for 300.

One of these two motor switches is gapped too tight.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

Thanks Howard. You were exactly right, 2C was a tad tight. Very much appreciate your help.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

One of these two motor switches is gapped too tight.
[quoted image]

(Learning), Now that 2C is opening what is the new correct path to score those 400 points?

#5 2 years ago

The path HowardR highlighted is intended to score 300 points (not 400 points). If you look at the circuit there are three Score Motor switches in series. The one on the right (Motor 1A) generates 5 pulses, or one pulse every time it closes as shown in a typical Gottlieb motor chart:
Gottlieb Score Motor 3 (resized).jpgGottlieb Score Motor 3 (resized).jpg
The two other motor switches (2C and 1B) open briefly to block one of the five pulses. Motor 2C blocks the second pulse from Motor 1A, and Motor 1B blocks the fourth pulse. (Notice how their blocks in the chart overlap.) So only the first, third and last pulse from the Motor 1A switch get to the Q or 100 point relay.

The animation at https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/animated-schematic-diagrams shows ways to get various numbers of pulses from the Motor 1A switch.

/Mark

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The path HowardR highlighted is intended to score 300 points (not 400 points). If you look at the circuit there are three Score Motor switches in series. The one on the right (Motor 1A) generates 5 pulses, or one pulse every time it closes as shown in a typical Gottlieb motor chart:
[quoted image]
The two other motor switches (2C and 1B) open briefly to block one of the five pulses. Motor 2C blocks the second pulse from Motor 1A, and Motor 1B blocks the fourth pulse. (Notice how their blocks in the chart overlap.) So only the first, third and last pulse from the Motor 1A switch get to the Q or 100 point relay.
The animation at https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/animated-schematic-diagrams shows ways to get various numbers of pulses from the Motor 1A switch.
/Mark

That is sure handy. Thanks Mark and all—this really helps to put some missing pieces of knowledge together for a greenhorn like me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-top-scoring-problem- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.