• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mopar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello,
After a month of searching I am finally just gonna ask for help. Finishing up this game. Just having 2 small score related issues.
1.) on player 1 (single or 2 player doesn’t affect it) when P1’s ball drains a mystery 50 points is added, now it’s odd as say for example there are 51 points on the score when said ball drains, it’ll go 61, 71, 81, 91, 01. So the issue doesn’t trigger the 100’s reel to advance as it rolls past the century mark. This occurs all 5 balls P1 only when in 2 player this doesn’t not happen to P2. The game does trigger the 100pt reel to advance normally with playfield scoring.
Here is what I have verified, the 50pts is not coming from the 50 point relay, blocked it’s contacts still occurs, it’s also not the 10pt relay did the same thing there.
2.) this issue happens almost always and exclusively to player 1 ball 3 drain, in single player mode, when that ball drains, P1 gets the 50 free points, which as I showed above can actually set you back. However on this situation 1 solitary point is added to the second players scoring. This does not occur in 2 player.

Any ideas are appreciated…..

In my mind it seems to possible be linked to the reset wheel motor in the cabinet or possible something in the ball unit?

#2 2 years ago

Strange things like this can happen when you have two contacts touching somewhere thats usually never going to touch each other..Could be a drop of solder or small screw and such. I would get a bright light and look at all the contacts and the jones plugs.
Hope you figure it out.

#3 2 years ago

Resolved:
It was in an unlikely spot yet makes sense when you think it through. The scoring reset relay, has 8 switches 4 on top 4 on bottom, each resets a score reel, the switch for the tens unit player 1 was touching had visible signs it has been dicked with before. I gapped it to be open like the others. Scoring issue fixed. Problem was when that cabinet cam motor turns at ball drain it makes a 1/3rd rotation hitting 5 impulse spikes on that cam, since that relay has all open switches and only closes when the coin/credit relay triggers it those switches all get 5 power impulses every 1/3rd rotation of the motor. Since they are open nothing happens except in my case.

3 weeks later
#4 2 years ago

A second almost identical scoring issue decided to crop up. Exact same thing swapping from player 2 to player 1. But this time it was doing 5 pts 2-3 on player 2 and the remaining on player 1. I finally found it. On the 5pt relay there was a loose wire. And it it was touching other parts. Soldered it back into place and it’s all fixed now!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Jets_1479:

Problem was when that cabinet cam motor turns at ball drain it makes a 1/3rd rotation hitting 5 impulse spikes on that cam,

I just caught your thread and as I was reading I was thinking maybe the Score Reset Relay,
but if the Score Reset Relay switches are hot when the ball drains, are they not hot during
game play, thus every time the Score Motor energized, it would score (an extra) 50 points?
I have a Big Top, but haven't gone through it yet. How do you like it's game play? Fun Game?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I just caught your thread and as I was reading I was thinking maybe the Score Reset Relay,
but if the Score Reset Relay switches are hot when the ball drains, are they not hot during
game play, thus every time the Score Motor energized, it would score (an extra) 50 points?
I have a Big Top, but haven't gone through it yet. How do you like it's game play? Fun Game?

It’s a very fun game. I am enjoying it a lot! Those 1-4 targets are sure challenging. I love the clown juggling the extra balls you earn.
As far as if they are hot all the time I didn’t check, I know they are hot when the score motor spins it’s getting 5 impulses but the relay is not closed so the 8 switches on it are all normally open. That relay is activated at the coin door. Just had one that was likely bumped by other repairs in the past and was closed so it was the cause of the mystery 50. Then the mystery 5 started happening but not all to the same player so after I ruled out the same cause, I eventually found the cracked solder on the 5pt relay. All fixed now!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Jets_1479:

It’s a very fun game. I am enjoying it a lot! Those 1-4 targets are sure challenging. I love the clown juggling the extra balls you earn.

I interested because I have the other three Gottlieb true 2 Player AABs set up and I like all three.
I'm just waiting on the bg for Big Top.
I was just asking about the Score Reset Relay because if it scored when the Score Motor turned
when the ball drained, it seems it would score the 50 points any time the Score Motor turned, but
like you say, doesn't matter. You have it fixed..
It shouldn't be too long before I'll be going through mine.. (T)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-top-scoring-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.