broken_wire (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
db_problem (resized).jpg
0Big-Top-Work-04 (resized).jpg
0Big-Top-Work-02 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
motor_chart (resized).jpg
score_motor_position (resized).jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I'm trying to get a recently rebuilt Gottlieb Big Top started, and I'm having trouble figuring out the startup sequence.

The game powers up when you press the coin switch, and the score motor runs and all the lights come on. Nothing else happens.

As for the startup sequence, the relays on this two player add-a-ball game don't seem to correspond to those listed in the startup sequence on Clay Harrell's site that has been reprinted often here. My "Z" relay, for instance, is the 300 point relay and I don't think it's tied to startup.

I'll include a photo of my score motor, and the section of the schematic that includes a chart about the score motor.

A link to the schematic is here: https://images.pinside.com/5/d0/ae/5d0aec1798e673fc2776bdc816244ba9c0ef8a13.pdf

Questions:

1. Could someone please explain the chart? I understand that the left hand column describes which switch group and the top row describes which position, from bottom to top. But what does the handwritten information tell me?

2. If anyone is bored and would like to take a look at the schematic and describe the startup sequence for this particular machine, I'd appreciate it.

Charlie

EDIT: All problems in this thread have been resolved. See final post for the wrapup.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-top-score-motor-questions/page/2#post-3837697

Also, it looks like Clay at Pinrepair.com has updated his site and there's now a full explanation there for the score motor nomenclature.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

score_motor_position (resized).jpgscore_motor_position (resized).jpg
motor_chart (resized).jpgmotor_chart (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I'm not sure about the start up sequence for this machine... But, you can still use basic troubleshooting for a start up issue. What is happening with the score motor when you press the start/credit button? Does the score motor continue to run or does it just stop? Either case, I would look at the main switches that control power to the score motor. Check the following switches:

S relay switch
Z relay switch
F relay switch
X relay switch
#4 bank relay switch
K relay switch
B relay switch
Score motor switch 1C

All of these switches will have a yellow/red wire and a red/white wire attached to them. Check to make sure the switches are cleaned and adjusted properly...

#3 6 years ago

SO does the score motor stop spinning?
Are you not able to load a ball and play at that point? If you do does anything score?
Are all your score reels back to 0 on both players?
Is your ball counter at 5 or 3 depending how you have the machine set up?
Do the flippers work at that point?

--Jeff

#4 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
in the other topic (post-16) I asked about stuff in the Relay Bank. I do not know Add-A-Ball pins - I am not familiar with these old Gottliebs, strange to me "Bank of Relays" http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=286&picno=50754 --- strange to me is Your first picture in post-1 --- to me "two rods coming up" are missing --- BUT here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=286&picno=50756 the two rods are also "missing". I would like to work first / for a while with the assumption "Score-Motor is OK".

Pins like ORBIT, Far Out, Big Indian I know with such an relay bank http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=257&picno=30529 . These pins have (for to start a brand-new game) the NEED "First Ball Relay must be actuated". When we toggle-on such a pin and the First Ball Relay is NOT actuated: By toggling-on: The pin does actuate it.
In Your schematics I do not see this mechanism (toggling on makes the relay actuate) --- but I believe to see "relay MUST be actuated to start a brand-new game" --- I would like to investigate in this relay in Your pin. The video here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo is about other stuff - for us of interest is --- so only look at Time 0:33 to 0:58 --- see (?) how he manually activates some relays (2nd, 3rd, 4th player relay).

Toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) --- actuate the huge reset arms of the relay-bank, find the ZB-First-Ball-Relay and fumble on it like in the video - make the ZB-Relay actuate. Then plug-in, toggle-on, "start" a game --- question: Exactly the same as before --- OR some wanted action done ? Greetings Rolf

#5 6 years ago

I was reading your other thread. if your score reels are not resetting that would indicate that your D relay is not pulling in.

D relay is controlled by a switch on the SB relay so see if your SB relay is pulling and make sure all switches are cleaned and adjusted.

If SB is not pulling in , check to see if your ball count unit and your continues to play unit are resetting. This will determine the next steps

--Jeff

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

SO does the score motor stop spinning?
Are you not able to load a ball and play at that point? If you do does anything score?
Are all your score reels back to 0 on both players?
Is your ball counter at 5 or 3 depending how you have the machine set up?
Do the flippers work at that point?

Yes.
No.
Yes.
Yes, at 5.
No.

It's not yet completing the reset, but we're getting closer.

I've moved beyond the score motor at this point. I'm still not sure what the chart's about, though. I thought it might represent switches that engage simultaneously, but there is no switch at 2A, so it can't be that.

Fixed a broken wire on one score reel and a misadjusted zero switch on another. The score reels now reset when I engage the coin switch. That led me to a misadjusted switch on the balls to play counter. Fixed that.

That led to a misadjusted switch on the bank reset relay. I fixed that.

When I left it yesterday, the 10 point relay was stuck closed. I'll have to look at that later today. Didn't have time to figure out which switch is causing that problem.

The problems are moving; every time I fix one, I encounter another. That's progress, at least.

Charlie

#7 6 years ago

Looks like the chart indicates how many switches are at each position as well as their state (A=normally open, B=normally closed, C=make/break)

Position 1B says 1A-1B, so there's one normally open switch there and one normally closed one. The explanation for this seems like something that should have been mentioned somewhere on the schematic.

Back to game operation:

The game still won't complete a startup sequence, though I'm getting closer.

When I start a game:

1. Balls in play counter resets to zero.
2. Continues to play counter resets to zero.
3. All 8 score reels reset to zero.

So far, so good, but at this point, the score motor continues to run and nothing else happens. The next step should be to increment the Balls to Play counter to 5. That's not happening.

That part should happen through the Bank Reset (DB) relay. When I engage that relay manually, the Balls to Play counter does count up to 5, but then the coil to increment that counter continues to fire repeatedly and indefinitely.

That's where I am.

Charlie

#8 6 years ago

I don't have the Big Top set up yet, but I believe there's a "Reset Complete Relay"
in the Relay Bank, correct? If so, after the score reels and ball count unit are zeroed
out, does the Reset Complete Relay energize? And if not, you'll want to check the switches
in all score reels and the ones that make when the Ball Count unit is at 0 (at reset)..

#9 6 years ago

I've got a switch on the Balls to Play unit that opens at zero that shows as closed on my meter even when it's open. Due to age, wire colors on this machine are a problem, so I may have to just physically follow the wire and see where it goes. It's reddish. I think it goes to the DB relay, but it appears that it may be shorting to ground somewhere.

#10 6 years ago

I'll look to see if I have a schematic..
In the Bank relay, is there a Reset Complete Relay?
If so, while the score motor is turning, is it in the energized position?

#11 6 years ago

There is a Reset Relay (SB) and a Bank Reset Relay (DB).

I've got a zero switch in the Balls to Play unit that shows always closed (even when it's open.) The red wire from that switch connects to a switch on the SB relay that's the same way. Even when the switch is open, a continuity check shows that it's closed. I'm guessing that those two wires must be making contact somewhere further up the line.

Link to the schematic is in the first post. If you'd rather have one that you can print and assemble as a paper document, let me know.

Charlie

#12 6 years ago

Earlier tonight I looked in the coin door, and Bingo, there's a schematic..
After checking, it's start up operation is pretty much the same as the single
60s players, but instead of being known as the Reset Complete Relay, it's
the Bank Reset Relay (DB) like you mentioned. Once that Relay energizes,
it transfers the circuit from the Ball Counts subtract coil, to the Add (step-up)
coil. For that coil (DB) to energize, a set of switches in each score reel is made when
the score reels are at 0, also a set of switches behind the Ball Count Unit
is made when the Ball Count Unit is in the 0 (total reset) position. When all the
score reel and Ball Count's Unit 0 position switches are made, it completes the circuit
to the DB Relay which then a set of make/break switches transfers the circuit from
the Ball Counts Subtract coil, to it's Add (step up) coil which steps it up 5 positions
from the score motor's A1 set of switches..
First, lets find out if while the score reels and ball count unit are zeroed out (and the
score motor is turning) if the DB Relay is in the energized position?

#13 6 years ago

I haven't forgotten you; I'm having a problem adjusting the switches on my SB and DB relays. After mucking about with all of the switches inside the cabinet yesterday, the score reels no longer reset because a switch on the SB relay isn't making contact.

They're quite hard to adjust, because part of the assembly gets in the way of seeing if the blades are actually making contact or not. Plus, that relay is sandwiched in between two others, so there's not a lot of working room on the sides, either. The location of the relay bank means I need to pull the playfield out of the cabinet, adjust the switches, put the playfield back, and test.

Before we can proceed any further, I need to sort out the issue with the SB switches. Tomorrow, I'm going to pull the entire score motor board out of the cabinet and work on it on a table. I'll adjust the switches and check continuity with a meter before putting the board back in the cabinet.

After that, I'll get back and we'll continue.

Charlie

#14 6 years ago

Now I've got seven of the eight score reels resetting again, but two of them will not.

On the Player One and Player Two ones unit, the coil engages at reset, but won't release to advance the wheel to zero. It just pulls in and stays energized.

All switches on the score reels are working correctly, including the EOS switches.

I've also got a stuck 10 point relay, and the bell is ringing like crazy.

Any suggestions?

#15 6 years ago

On the one units energizing and not releasing, check the switches in the D (scoring units reset relay).
Make sure all the switches are open when the D Relay is in the energized position. You might also want
to check that the solder taps aren't touching..
The 10 point bell isn't staying energized, but keeps ringing? If so, the 10s unit is scoring also, right?
If that is correct, then sounds like the F (50 point Relay) is staying energized and most likely would be
a set of switches on the playfield that scores 50 points..

#16 6 years ago

The tens unit is not scoring, as the game is attempting to reset. I've checked all of the playfield switches, but I'll check again. The thing is that this is a new problem and I haven't done anything with the playfield. I've been working on the switches on the score motor board.

I'll take another look at the D relay.

This is all pretty frustrating. A week ago, I had the score reels resetting and both ball count units resetting, but the tens bell was ringing. Attempts to fix that have left me with a game where nothing is resetting anymore.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from essmeier:

The tens unit is not scoring, as the game is attempting to reset.

I understand you to mean that one or both tens unit(s) aren't resetting to zero. If that's true and the units work mechanically, here's the path to check to diagnose the problem.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#18 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
I was working on a snippet of schematics - as HowardR ...

Most likely the SCM-1A (Score-Motor) pulses - You have worked on Score-Motor-Switches - want to check the two switches on SCM-1A ?

Your post-14 "Player-1- and Player-2-Score-Drums-the-Ones-Units stick": Is this TRUE ? --- also the ... Tens-Units should stick (well when the SCM-1A is faulty - then they also should stick). Greetings Rolf

0Big-Top-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Big-Top-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

Here is what I'm seeing, and it isn't good:

D relay: All switches are adjusted correctly. I put an ohmmeter on all 8 switches. 7 of them show "open" as they should. The 8th one is showing zero ohms. That's the wire that runs to the runout switch on the Player 2 Ones score reel. That switch is showing closed even when it's open. I put a piece of paper in between the blades to verify.

Runout switch on that reel is adjusted correctly and it checks out on a meter.

Switches on the score motor at 1A seem to be working correctly and making and breaking contact when they should. However, the inside switch, that resets score reels and actuates both ball counters, is showing zero ohms even when open.

In this case, I actually took the switch apart and separated the blades by a couple of inches. Still showing zero ohms on a meter.

Somethings shorting somewhere. I have no idea how to proceed.

#20 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
This https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-1k-bonus-vs-1k-1k-bonus is an interesting topic. TimMe writes in post-4 and post-5 about "masking pulses". In the snippet of schematiscs in post-18 You see on the right the SCM-1A. It does actuate five times per turn (1/3 revolution). To the left and downwards You see other Score-Motor-Switches --- "masking" happens.
But upwards (on the green lines): NO other Score-Motor switches - NO masking.

WHENEVER the Score-Motor is made running: SCM-1A fires / pulses. So the D-Relay is there to "allow to pass" or "not allow to pass" depending on "pin is resetting" or "pin is in play". The Run-Out-Switches on the Score-Drums are there to "allow to pass" or "not allow to pass" depending on "not yet completely resetted" or "have reached Zero position - please no more shots of electricity".

You have not yet written about "Your post-14 ,Player-1- and Player-2-Score-Drums-the-Ones-Units stick: Is this TRUE ?".

I would manually put the problematic Score-Drums to Zero - then start a game and write about the very first fault showing up. Greetings Rolf

#21 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
I must explain the "Is this TRUE" means Do REALLY ONLY to Ones-Units stick ? The schematics shows "Switch SCM-1A fires for the Ones-Units, yes - but ALSO fires for the TENS-Units --- do the TENS Units also stick - or do they not stick and the "not stick" would be strange. Greetings Rolf

#22 6 years ago

Rolf,

I did two tests:

Test #1:

All 8 score reels set to some number other than zero. Both ball count units are set at zero.

I started a game and the thousands and hundreds reels for both players reset to zero. The tens and ones did not. The score motor runs continuously. Nothing else happens.

Test #2

All 8 score reels set to zero. Both ball count units are set at zero.

I started a game. The first player hundreds reel started advancing. So did the first player tens reel. Both the hundreds bell and the tens bell rang continuously.

The Balls to Play counter went to five and the coil continued to repeatedly engage, pulsing five times, over and over.

Test #3 (A repeat of test 2)

All 8 score reels set to zero. Both ball count units are set at zero.

This time, the bells did not ring and the score reels stayed at zero. The Balls to Play counter went to five and the coil continued to repeatedly engage, pulsing five times, over and over.

I am uncertain on this game if the snowshoe on the Balls to Play counter should be at the first rivet in the zero position or if it should be one position to the left of the first rivet. Test 2 was done with the snowshoe at the first rivet and test 3 was done with the snowshoe one position to the left (the -1 position.)

It did not make a difference. I don't know why the bells rang and the score reels advanced the first time but not the second time (or third, fourth or fifth time.)

#23 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
I live in Switzerland south of Germany - our time-zone is some 8,9,10 hours ahead of the US-time-zones. So we have some kind of a gap in our writings.

I am pleased about "test-3" - to me the pin is almost at the end of the Reset-Cycle. I am familiar with this Control-Bank: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=823&picno=19015 - the huge unit near the player, one coil and a long arm --- I can manually "reset" by pushing the arm away from the player - holding the arm near the coil and push / reset.
Your pin http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=286&picno=50754 has two banks (?). Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons). Practice to reset one and / or both banks. You push the plunger into the coil to reset the bank(s). Look-out for paper-tags telling "#1, #2, #3, #4" this is the Gottlieb-called "Sequence Bank". Look-out for paper-tags telling "PB, ZB, SB, DB" - in the schematics the name used is simple "Bank" --- let us use the words "Control-Bank".

Plug-in, toggle-on and start a "test-3" type. When the pin comes to the endlessly "firing on the Balls to Play Counter": The Pin should itself reset the Control-Bank --- if the pin does not: YOU carefully do reset the Control-Bank --- questions: Does the "firing on the Balls to Play Unit" stops ? Does the pin kicks out a ball and You can play ? Write about.

We should use the words used in the schematics. A good idea (when troubleshooting) always is "look-up on the '6VAC-Lights-Section of the schematics". On schematics-A5 we see the Balls to Play Unit --- resetted is Position-Zero - You see "Game-Over" lighted in the Backglass. The pin shall step up to position-10.

Look at the JPG - the "SB-Relay" in the Control-Bank was made actuating , orange wiring: Switch in SB-Relay closes, stays closed, makes the Score-Motor run endlessly. The pulsing SCM-1A makes the "Add Balls to play Coil" fire andlessly as the DB-relay has actuated.
See the blue question marks --- the (Control) Bank Reset Coil should fire BUT it does not --- well so YOU DO IT MANUALLY. Greetings Rolf

0Big-Top-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Big-Top-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

I might add that while in the reset position, the ball counts upper spring loaded wiper does
rest on the last upper rivot that is at about the 10:00 position.
Also, for the ball count unit to stop after 5 step ups, the bank needs to reset.
It sounds like this isn't happening. You'll want to make certain that the DB's Armature Switch
is making good connection while the DB Relay is in the energized position. That is the switch
that sits off the Bank's frame and is closed by the DB Relay itself while the DB Relay is in it's
energized position. Sounds like there's other issues, but first getting it to reset properly would
be a nice start..

#25 6 years ago

Mopar

There are many issues with this machine, as every metal part inside it was rusty when I got it. Everything, and I mean everything, had to be disassembled.

Thanks for the heads-up on the snowshoe position. Like I said, I've found conflicting information about where the thing should be by default.

That armature switch has given me some trouble, but the last time I checked it was adjusted correctly. I'll check it again.

Which switch is specifically responsible for stopping the ball count unit? Based on the schematic image in Rolf's post, it looks like a make-break switch on the DB relay. Is that correct?

I really can't do anything until I get that coil on the Balls to Play counter to stop firing. Gotta fix that first.

@Rolf

My pin has two banks:

Bank #1 (Control Bank) has:

PB - 2nd Player Relay
ZB - 1st Ball Relay
SB - Reset Relay
DB - Bank Reset Relay

Bank #2 (Sequence Bank) has:

Target relay #1
Target relay #2
Target relay #3
Target relay #4

Those are for playfield targets and are unimportant at this time.

I will adjust the snowshoe on the Balls to Play unit and try the test that Rolf suggested. I'll report my results.

Thanks,

Charlie

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from essmeier:

Which switch is specifically responsible for stopping the ball count unit? Based on the schematic image in Rolf's post, it looks like a make-break switch on the DB relay. Is that correct?

Yes, the make break in the DB Relay is in the Step Up Ball Count Unit's circuit, and that is working properly. For it to
stop stepping up when it gets to the 5th position, the Bank has to reset. For the bank to reset, the DB armature switch
needs to be made (and should be when the DB Relay is in the energized position) and the Add Balls to Play Unit needs
a set of switches to be made while it's in the reset position (looks like blue/Red and Orange/Red wires), and then
according to the schematics, it goes through the Continue to Play Unit and I'm not sure why. I have true two player
Gottlieb Add-a-Balls, but haven't gone through any yet. The single player Add-a-Balls have the same Bank Reset
set up, but the circuit continues through the Ball Count Unit. I can understand the Continue to Play Unit having to
be in the reset position for the Bank Reset to fire..
But anyways, you said that the internals were pretty rusty. Did you clean and lightly grease the Ball Count Unit's
wiper board. I still have to believe the circuit for the Reset Bank to reset has to go through there. As you know, that's
the #1 thing to get to work properly. Also, while the Ball Count Unit is being cleaned, I found it a good idea, while the
wiper is off, push down on each spring loaded wiper and put a couple of drops of light weight oil in each of their holes
and then move them up and down a few times to make certain there is no stickiness and they move freely. I myself
like using Remington Gun Oil (the oil in the small plastic bottle, "not aerosol")
What ever is in the Bank Reset circuitry, I would carefully check. With the bottom board in the machine, that DB
Armature switch can be tough to adjust because the Bank has to pretty much be locked in to see how well the switches
are made. BTW- did you happen to jump the Bank Reset coil just to make sure that it does fire?

#27 6 years ago

The reset coil does fire, but it did not stop the coil in the Balls to Play unit from firing.

I put a meter on the make-break switch on DB and noticed that with the DB relay NOT engaged, the normally open part of the make-break switch is showing zero ohms between the two leaves.

It also shows zero ohms when the switch closes. Makes me wonder if I don't have something shorted somewhere.

I reset everything to zero and tried again and this time, when I press the coin switch...

...the Start relay engages and the lights come on. Nothing else happens at all. The motor doesn't turn. Turning it manually or engaging any other relay on the game does nothing. I have lights, and that's it.

The 110 volt hold relay never engages. The motor never runs.

I've checked the fuses and they're all good and I put a 9 volt battery on the motor and it lurches. I have no idea what's happening here.

Really frustrating. A week ago, I had all 8 score reels and both ball counters resetting, and it's been downhill ever since.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

the Add Balls to Play Unit needs
a set of switches to be made while it's in the reset position

It dawned on me that the set of switches on the Ball Count Unit has to be made
while the unit "is not" in the reset position, so I went up and looked in the backbox,
and those switches are opened when it's in the reset position which does make
scents, and closed when stepped up..
Yes, when you have a machine that's not internally in the best shape (at least from
the get go) problems can keep popping up. Going through the entire machine first,
is the thing to do which I think you said you have done..
Okay, inside the coin door, there's a Anti Cheat switch which should be made,
and on the bottom board (I believe toward the front) there's what is known as a
Bounce switch. You'll want to clean those and make sure they are making well, and
there's also a 7.5 amp fuse in that line. And just a reminder, those switches are 115V.
After cleaning those switches and rechecking that fuse, the Start Relay should energize
which immediately should energize the Hold Relay..

#29 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
frustration --- not yet - I hope for luck. You MADE the Control-Bank resetting (post-27) --- a NEW situation for the pin. I suggest: Read my post-4 - watch the mentioned video --- unplug the pin (Safety Reasons) --- fumble on the Control-Bank (as shown in the video) - MAKE the ZB-First-Ball-Relay (in the Control-Bank) actuate. Then plug-in, toggle-on, start a game - at the end when the pin endlessly steps on the Balls to Play Unit: MANUALLY reset the Control-Bank. Greetings Rolf

#30 6 years ago

Mopar

Shutoff switch, bounce switch and anti-cheat switch on the coin door have all been bypassed. I did that a week ago when I was having problems getting the thing to power up at all in order to simplify things.

Yes, I've gone through the entire machine, because every single piece of steel inside it was rusty. There's a really good story to post on this one in the restoration section...once I get it working.

rolf_martin_062

I have actuated the ZB relay and attempted to start a game. The Start relay engages and the lights come on. Nothing else happens.

#31 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
the S-Start-Relay runs on 110VAC. The Score-Motor and the other stuff run on 25 VAC. Have You checked the 25-VAC-Fuse ? When You manually turn a bit on the Score-Motor (grab the turntable disc and move / turn a bit --- DOES the Score-Motor then runs on its own ? IF (if) it runs: Fuse is good. Greetings Rolf

#32 6 years ago

rolf_martin_062

Very strange. The 25 volt fuse appeared to be OK, and the first time I checked it with a meter, it showed OK. But when I replaced it with a new fuse, everything powered up again. Just an old fuse, I guess.

I have replaced all fuses with new ones.

Back to the problems...

I turned on the game with everything at zero. This time, I had my wife press the switch while I stood in the back and looked at the Balls to Play counter.

BOTH coils in the Balls to Play unit are energizing at the same time - one is trying to advance the unit and one is trying to reset it.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from essmeier:

BOTH coils in the Balls to Play unit are energizing at the same time

So the DB coil is going in the energized position, right?
But either way, it sounds like one of the make/break switches in
the DB Relay needs adjustment. Once the DB energizes, it should
break from the subtract coil circuitry, and make with the Add
coils.

#34 6 years ago

There is only one make-break switch on the DB relay. It's adjusted correctly, and makes and breaks as it should. The problem is that both sides of that switch are showing closed when I put a meter on it. I even took the switch apart yesterday and separated the leaves, just to make sure the problem isn't local to the switch.

The normally closed switch shows closed on my meter when closed and open when it opens.

The normally open switch shows 0 Ω either way.

I've been tempted to just rip all of the lacing off of these wire bundles so I can just follow the wires. I've seen a couple of indications of possible shorts here and there and I just haven't been able to find them.

I should add that while I previously had the score reels and both ball count units resetting (they're not doing that now), the constantly firing advance coil on the Balls to Play unit has been a problem since the first time I powered up the game.

db_problem (resized).jpgdb_problem (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

If you want to test for continuity within the switch you have to unsolder a wire on one of the connections you're testing. There is possible correct continuity elsewhere in the machine.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

There is possible correct continuity elsewhere in the machine.

Yes, that very possibly could be..
Also, you may want to recheck the contacts in the B Relay making sure none are touching
when their not suppose to be, and also the score motor's 2c and 3b contacts. Most likely
that's not it, but looks to be a possibility..
I once thought that I saw more than one set of make/break switches on the schematics in the
DB Relay, but now don't see that..
Not saying 100%, but unless you notice something suspicious on the wiring harness, I'd say all
is fine and if B Relay and score motor contacts are okay, I'd still have to think something hard
to notice is happening with the DB Relays make/break switch, or in that direct area..
Trust me, I know how it is. If things start getting too upsetting, just kick back and take a break..
It's only a pinball that's not functioning properly "yet"..

#37 6 years ago

"If you want to test for continuity within the switch you have to unsolder a wire on one of the connections you're testing. There is possible correct continuity elsewhere in the machine. "

That has occurred to me. I actually took the switch apart, and had the leaves physically separated from one another. The continuity has to be elsewhere, but it may not necessarily be incorrect to have it.

I've been working on this machine for a year and a half. I'm 99% done, and now the last 1% is driving me nuts.

"I once thought that I saw more than one set of make/break switches on the schematics in the
DB Relay, but now don't see that.."

Interesting note: The SB relay actually has more switches on it than are listed on the table on the schematic. I haven't actually counted up all of the mentions of SB switches on the schematic itself to see if they all match up.

I'll have a look at the B relay and 2c and 3b on the motor tomorrow. For now, let's all find something more worthwhile to do with our evenings. I've got a sizable Martini in my near future...

If you're willing to help out until I get this resolved, you'll find the story of this machine's restoration to have been worth the time you spent helping out.

Charlie

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from essmeier:

If you're willing to help out until I get this resolved, you'll find the story of this machine's restoration to have been worth the time you spent helping out.
Charlie

Interesting. What do you have in mind? Is this you?

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Interesting. What do you have in mind? Is this you?

Hey, if Charlie is Charlene's nickname, I'll stay with you right to the end.
But easy on the perfume..
Anyways, business before pleasure, "Charlie"?
I do see how both switches can have continuity in the DBs make/break switch, but only
when the SB Relay is in the energized position, or a switch in the SB Relay is making when
it should be opened, but even still, from what I see, that shouldn't keep making the Subtract
coil to energize once the DB Relay is in the energized position..
Now is the time I'm doing plenty of outdoor projects, so not sure how often I'll be checking in.
If I didn't have many other projects going on, I'd go through the Big Top and have it set up and
check things out first hand..
I'm sure Rolf will check back, and/or someone with a Big Top set up may have something
to add, but it must be both sides of the DBs make/break switch is getting 25V when both coils
are firing together. Probably a little rough to get in there and check with a meter..
If needed, we can do a little testing by doing a little unsoldering here and there also..

#40 6 years ago

No "Charlene" here; I'm just Charlie.

Daina Pettit (of the Mr. Pinball site) lives about an hour from here. I've known him for 20 years and I give him a call when I get into trouble I can't resolve myself. Troubleshooting EM gremlins is his strong suit and he could probably resolve this in an hour or two.

Unfortunately, he can't get out here until early August, so I've got two months to fix it myself. Should be enough time.

The first thing I need to do is figure out why that Balls to Play advance coil won't stop firing. That thing is going to melt down if I don't solve that first.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from essmeier:

The first thing I need to do is figure out why that Balls to Play advance coil won't stop firing.

Yea okay, but I thought the biggest problem was that once the Ball
Count Unit stepped down to the zero position, both the Subtract and
Advance Coils were firing..
BTW- If you don't have a schematic, would you like me to get a copy
made for you? (T)

#42 6 years ago

I have a schematic; I uploaded and linked to a copy of it in the first post of this thread. I'll admit that I'm not the best at reading it, but I have one.

The 10 point bell is ringing repeatedly. It appears that the Rollover Reset relay (L) and the 50 point relay (F) are continuously engaged. It's pulsing 10 points in groups of five, over and over. I've checked the schematic, and none of the switches that need to be closed in order to activate that L relay are closed.

It occurs to me that the advance coil on the Balls to Play unit is also pulsing repeatedly in lots of five. I didn't see a common score motor switch between those two processes, but maybe I'm missing one somewhere.

#43 6 years ago

I'd first check all the playfield switches, especially the four fifty point rollovers and right & left blue bumpers. Put slips of paper in between the contacts.

#44 6 years ago

I'll do that.

The biggest source of frustration I have right now is that while I know where I should be looking for problems, I'm not seeing them. My tens and ones score reels aren't resetting right now. They were, about a week ago, and now they're not.

I'm aware that it must be a problem with the switch at 1A on the score motor, or the D relay, or one (or more) of the ones or tens runout switches on the score reels. I get that. But I'm not finding any problems at those locations. The switch at 1A is opening and closing as it should. The wires are connected to it. The switches on the D relay are properly adjusted and the relay engages when it should. The runout switches on the score reels are properly adjusted.

Most of the time, once I figure out where the problem should be, I spot it right away. That's not happening with this machine, on ANY problem.

I'm going to try to get the score reels to reset again. When that happens, I'll be back.

Thanks,

Charlie

#45 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
I am not sure where You are with the problems by now. In post-42 You wrote "10 point bell is ringing repeatedly". In post-33 Mopar writes to Your "Both (step-up and step-down) Coils fire" - Mopar writes about "faulty Make-and-Brake-Switch on DB-Relay".

I believe that You have one or more problems on the "start and resetting stuff" as well as You have one or more problems when it comes to "ball is in play".
I would like to keep-off the problems "when ball is in play" and so I would like to cheat on the pin and keep-off these problems --- so You can concentrate on the problems "start and the resetting stuff".

The "cheating" I would like You to do is "permanently OPEN a switch on T-Tilt-Relay" --- so the electricity cannot reach the playfield --- OK - You cannot play - but You are troubleshooting for "start and resetting faults". See the JPG in post-23, upper right corner - see the "Switch on Tilt-Relay with wires soldered-on: "Wire-color-red" and "wire-color-red-green". Sneak-in a stripe of paper for insulation - to keep this switch always open - so You temporary get rid of the "10 point bell endlessly chimes" --- and we can concentrate on "start and resetting problems". Greetings Rolf

#46 6 years ago

Rolf,

A little bit of progress. Score reel problem is fixed.
Score reel problem was a switch on the DB relay. No wonder I couldn't find the problem. I was looking in the wrong place.

Test:

I opened the switch on the Tilt relay. The bell has stopped ringing for the moment.
I set all 8 score reels to something other than zero.
I set the Continues to Play unit to 4 balls.

I started a game:

All 8 score reels reset to zero.
Continues to Play unit reset to zero.
Both coils on the Balls to Play unit are firing at once. It is trying to add and reset at the same time.

It should reset and then add, so a switch must be stuck closed somewhere. I think we talked about this in a previous post, so I will have to find that problem next. If I am reading the schematic correctly, it looks like both sides of the make-break switch on the DB relay would have to be closed at the same time for both coils to engage at once.

#47 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
great - some progress.
The "cheating on the Tilt-Relay-Switch" is just for "helping to troubleshoot START-UP".

Mopar wrote about - You showed (post-34) a Make-and-Brake-Switch --- is it easy to get at this switch and adjust it ?
I dislike to work on Score-Motor-Switches in a Switchstack - I also dislike to work on (Control-) Bank Switches --- I FIRST do testing and when the results of my "testing" say: The fault is there - I grumble and do the disliked work.

Look at the JPG in post-23. Wire-black-red runs to "Coil on Add Balls to Play Unit", wire-yellow-mingled-with-red runs to "Coil on Subtract Balls to Play Unit". Want to unsolder these wires from "Solder-Lug on Coil" - BOTH. Clip on a Jumper-Wire at the (now unsoldered) end of one wire. Also clip-on a Jumper-Wire ... other wire.
Manually set the Unit down to Zero-Position --- Clip-on the Jumper-Wire "wire-black-red" onto the coil --- start a game --- NOW the pin can only STEP-UP - hopefully to position five. THEN unclip "wire-black-red" AND clip-on "wire-yellow-mingled-with-red" --- as You want to play and the pin wants to subtract, step-down after You have lost a played ball. Greetings Rolf

#48 6 years ago

Rolf,

Much more progress. I have found the stuck switch on the playfield and I have fixed that problem. The bell no longer rings.

Right now, if I try to start a game, the lights come on and the score motor runs. Nothing else happens.

BUT...

If I close the SB relay manually...

All 8 score reels reset to zero.
The Balls to Play counter resets to zero.
The Continues to Play counter resets to zero.
The Balls to Play counter advances to 5.

This is very good. Now I need to find out why the SB relay is not closing automatically. I have checked the switch on the Start relay, and cleaned the normally closed switch on SB itself, along with the motor switch at 1A.

I'm obviously missing something, but if I can get the SB relay to engage, I will be very close to completing the start sequence.

#49 6 years ago

It's remotely possible that the SB coil is bad, but barring that, here's the circuit that activates the SB relay. Check the switches on the highlighted route.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#50 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
HowardR shows (post-49, blue wiring) the "Switch on ZB-FIRST-Ball-Relay" --- in post-29 I suggested: Have the pin unplugged - manually make the ZB-Relay actuate (as shown in the pinrepair-video) --- in post-4 (... Pins like ORBIT, Far Out ...) I wrote about "Gottlieb pins NEED this relay actuated for to start a new game". What hapens when You manually make the ZB-Relay actuate BEFORE You try to start a new game ? Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-top-score-motor-questions?hl=oilspot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.