Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Big-Top-Work-08 (resized).jpg
letter_rollover2 (resized).JPG
letter_rollover1 (resized).JPG
0Big-Top-Work-07 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

After starting with 100 problems or so on my Big Top, I'm down to just two, so I'll start a thread for each one and perhaps I'll have it working completely in a couple of days.

As a 2 player Add-a-Ball game, this one is unusual enough that the problems I've been having are ones that other people haven't had before here, making it impossible to search for a solution.

The latest issue involves the A-B-C rollovers on the playfield.

Gameplay:

1. The top rollover is always lit for either A, B, or C, and it changes every time it's hit.
2. Hitting that top rollover lights the corresponding letter on the lower rollovers labeled A, B, or C. So if the top rollover has "A" lit, and you hit it, then the lower letter "A" will light.
3. Hitting the lit lower rollover awards an extra ball.

The upper and lower A-B-C lights are working correctly, as are the latching relays U/UR, V/VR, and W/WR. The switches on the relays are adjusted correctly and the lights work correctly. Hitting the top rollover when lit for A, B, or C lights the correct lower rollover as it should.

Problem: Hitting the lower rollover does not award an extra ball, and the Continues to Play unit does not advance.

I'm having trouble following the schematic for this, though it appears that the L (Rollover Series Relay) and C (Continues to Play relay) are involved.

This one's probably easy, but I can't figure out exactly where I should be looking to find the solution to this.

Schematic is here: https://images.pinside.com/5/d0/ae/5d0aec1798e673fc2776bdc816244ba9c0ef8a13.pdf

letter_rollover1 (resized).JPGletter_rollover1 (resized).JPG
letter_rollover2 (resized).JPGletter_rollover2 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
never call a problem "easy" --- think of the simple problem of a "stuck 9th-position switch" - turning out NOT to be that simple problem.

When it is a "feature of play" fault and I do not know the pin I like to look up in the "Lights Section" - do I get some information (?) - Yes, the "Continues Play-Lights" do constantly light when the E-Relay is constantly pulling. The E-Relay mainly is made pulling for a long time because the "Continue to Play-Unit, Stepper" is not in Zero-Position. This Stepper-Unit has (an "Step-Down-Coil" and) an Step-Up-Coil we would like to fire. This "Add Continuous Play Coil" fires when the "C-Relay" gets active. This C-Relay fires when a Switch on L-Relay closes - means the L-Relay fires.

You are part of the logic, brain - You manually activate the L-Relay --- do You get an added Ball ?
IF (if, if) "No Luck" --- You manually activate the C-Relay --- do You get an added Ball ?
IF (if, if) "No Luck" --- You manually activate the STEP-UP-Plunger on the Stepper-Unit --- do You get an added Ball ?
IF (if, if) "No Luck" --- You manually activate the E-Relay --- do You see the lights light-up ?
Greetings Rolf

0Big-Top-Work-07 (resized).jpg0Big-Top-Work-07 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Rolf,

I should mention that the game does correctly award an extra ball for points. I have it set for an extra ball at 2000 points and at 5000 points, and when I reach those scores, the Continues to Play unit does advance and the E relay pulls in and the extra ball lights on the playfield and the backglass come on and the knocker fires to let me know that I have won an extra ball.

Your questions:

You are part of the logic, brain - You manually activate the L-Relay --- do You get an added Ball ?
No. Manually activating the L relay causes the C relay to activate and it stays energized.

IF (if, if) "No Luck" --- You manually activate the C-Relay --- do You get an added Ball ?
No. If I manually activate the C relay, it pulls in and stays there, but nothing else happens.

IF (if, if) "No Luck" --- You manually activate the STEP-UP-Plunger on the Stepper-Unit --- do You get an added Ball ?
Yes.

IF (if, if) "No Luck" --- You manually activate the E-Relay --- do You see the lights light-up ?
Yes.

#4 6 years ago

Rolf,

The problem has been fixed. There are two normally open switches on the C relay that appeared to be closing correctly but may not have been making good contact.

I cleaned them (again!) and adjusted them to close more easily and the game now awards extra balls for the A-B-C rollovers. It also now awards extra balls for hitting the 1-2-3-4 targets in sequence, too.

These features now work correctly.

I have one problem remaining with this game, and that involves the score reels:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-top-score-reel-carry-over-problem

Thanks for the help.

Charlie

#5 6 years ago

Hi Charlie
great - You could fix the problem. Grumble - I was writing an post --- and just before posting my stuff: YOU wrote post-4. I do not post my needless / superfluous text (I was writing) --- BUT I show (for my satisfaction) the JPG. Greetings Rolf

0Big-Top-Work-08 (resized).jpg0Big-Top-Work-08 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-top-rolloverextra-ball-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.