You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 31-10-2021 at 10.33 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
CaptureSH01 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

Working on gottlieb big shot. During gameplay scores add up as normal. During reset the 8 thousand wont go up to 9. All other thousand numbers are fine. The reel is not stuck or greasy and the typical 8 to 9 sluggish is gone and contacts are clean and as they should be. The motor continues to try to reset but coil isnt even pulling in for 8. I cleaned p3c on player unit (This is my first time seeing one of these cam units). I cleaned 1a and 4a on sm just for kicks but all reels goes thru that and its fine. Why only 8 and only at reset? What am i missing here?

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Is the thousands runout switch (open at zero) dirty or out of adjustment?

#3 2 years ago

No it’s not dirty. If I advance it to 9 during reset it will go to zero then play as normal

#4 2 years ago

metalguy didn't answer the question Studentprince asked:

Quoted from Studentprince:

Is the thousands runout switch (open at zero) dirty or out of adjustment?

#5 2 years ago

No they are clean and adjusted correctly. But if it works during gameplay why not at reset?

#6 2 years ago

Decagons are really a pain!

#7 2 years ago

The reset and point scoring are managed by two separate circuits. That is why during the game you have no issues. Only during reset.
Green below is for reset. Yellow is for point scoring.

I recommend using an alligator clip jumper on the "1st Thousands runout"
Start will all other reels at zero and the reel with the issue at 1.
If the reel never stops. Then I suspect it is the runout switch is opening too soon and will need to be adjusted to a little tighter.

If the reel stops or doesn't move at all
remove the reel jumper and Jumper P3C and repeat the test. If it stops at zero the P3C is the issue.
CaptureSH01 (resized).JPGCaptureSH01 (resized).JPG

#8 2 years ago

These are the jumpers

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 2 years ago

Hi had same trouble in my Hot Shot, after dismounted decagon reel, clean-it in a professional ultra sound machine and adjusted all switches yet stil "stucking" . Was solved removing washer "spring" as indicated in the picture . So repeated the process in all scores and my machine is like new . I think as time passes (almost 50 yrs!), plastic score reel dilate .

Screen Shot 31-10-2021 at 10.33 (resized).pngScreen Shot 31-10-2021 at 10.33 (resized).png

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from ClaudioT:

Hi had same trouble in my Hot Shot, after dismounted decagon reel, clean-it in a professional ultra sound machine and adjusted all switches yet stil "stucking" . Was solved removing washer "spring" as indicated in the picture . So repeated the process in all scores and my machine is like new . I think as time passes (almost 50 yrs!), plastic score reel dilate .
[quoted image]

I would guess that more likely, the circuit board absorbed moisture and expanded in thickness???

#11 2 years ago

Its possible the circuit board changed thickness, i will measure it and publish tomorrow.

#12 2 years ago

I've encountered your same issue with a decagon before. With the original washer included, the unit had too much friction and would hang up at 8/9. I too removed the washer and then it worked ok. I didn't bother to analyze the failure mechanism though. I just don't think I've heard of any type of plastic that can expand with age.

#13 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Turns out it was the bent tension washer. Took it off and seems fine now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-thousands-reel-stuck-during-reset-only?hl=metalguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.