• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jungle Queen U relay (resized).JPG
Big Shot Add Player (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

On my big shot 2 player if the first ball drains with no score it kicks ball back out for ball 1 (seems normal to me) Only scoring 10pt or 100pt switch will trigger ball 2 at drain. Scoring 1000 pt switch it still kicks out for ball 1. Ball 2 and 3 if no score it just goes to next ball. Is this all correct? The 1000pt switch doesn't sound right to me.

Now on player 2 first ball no score at drain and it doesnt kick ball out again for ball 1, its just back to player one. I remember reading about this on pinside but cant find it.

Trying to figure out rules like this from a schematic is difficult. Sometimes its just easier to ask.

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

The short answer is that your game is behaving correctly.

A better answer is that the Player Unit won't advance out of the Player 1/Ball 1 position until the ZB/1st Ball relay in the Control Bank has tripped and closes a switch. After that the Player Unit will advance every time the ball rolls over the Trough switch between the out hole and the shooter lane.
Big Shot Add Player (resized).jpgBig Shot Add Player (resized).jpg
The ZB/1st Ball relay only trips when 10 or 100 points are scored (via switches on the N and M relays) and it remains tripped until the game starts over. I'm not familiar with Big Shot but how often do you hit a 1000 point target and then drain without hitting a 10 or 100 point target?

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Thanks Mark,

Man that is some weird design/rules they did on this. So 1st ball relay trips and stays tripped even for 2nd player. 2nd player doesnt get that drain advantage. I guess its the handicap for first player (better player is player 2)

To answer your question there are 2 top rollovers that score 1000pts and alot of time it gos straight down the middle after that.

#4 2 years ago

"Jungle Queen/Princess" (1977) and "Fast/Quick Draw" have the same thing - 1000 pt doesn't activate the first ball relay, only 10 and 100 pts. But it makes sense on both those machines since you can't hit anything worth 1000 (or 5000) on that machine without hitting something else first or second.

But with "Big Shot", as the OP says, you can make those 2 lanes beside the center lane that give you 1000 pts and then, down the middle. I used to have access to a "Big Shot" - would have been fun to try to see how many times I could do that in a row, getting that first ball over again and again, until I hit something else.

Jungle Queen U relay (resized).JPGJungle Queen U relay (resized).JPG

#5 2 years ago

Just checking around - "Big Brave" (1974) has it as well. I've never played that game, but it looks like it might be possible to get the ball onto the flippers without hitting anything, then crank the vari-target for several thousand pts, then let it drain. Probably be a one-in-a-million shot, though....at least, for me.

I hope all the cheaters out there are making notes on this...

Looks like a bunch of the '70s Gottlieb machines do it this way. "Royal Flush/Card Whiz" is an exception, probably because on the 3-ball setting, the pop bumper up top is worth 1K - you could get bunches of points and then drain without losing your first ball.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from metalguy:

I guess its the handicap for first player (better player is player 2)

No, it's simply that they want to offer the potential of adding more players until ZB kicks in. This behavior is only seen on multi-player games. There are some edge cases that they didn't feel were worth covering.

Scoring only 1000s was one of the edge cases. They left out that switch to reduce the BOM cost.
.................David Marston

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

No, it's simply that they want to offer the potential of adding more players until ZB kicks in. This behavior is only seen on multi-player games.
.................David Marston

That makes perfect sense! I always thought it was a ball-save feature, but it didn't seem fair that the 1st player gets it and others don't.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-rules-question-first-ball-drain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.