(Topic ID: 169663)

Gottlieb Big Hurt problem solving - proud of myself!

By KillerQ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by KillerQ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160925_000432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KillerQ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

I'm very technically inclined, yet pinball machines have always scared me... Haha.

I recently bought a 1995 Gottlieb Big Hurt machine that was in awesome shape, except 2 coils were removed. I was afraid that it may have been a driver board issue, but I wanted to snag the machine anyhow... Even without the 2 coils, it's great fun...

But, I wanted to start fixing it piece by piece...

I installed a new Kicker coil, and it locked on as soon as the game started....that told me it was most likely a board issue...

So, Last night, I sucked it up, and I gave myself a crash course in transistor testing and diagnosing ...

Good news, it turns out that Transistor Q4 (the one that controls the faulty kicker coil) is bad. I tested it in diode mode, and it was only registering 0.2 on both top and bottom leg. A proper diode should register between 0.4 and 0.6 on the bottom leg and OL on the top leg. Definitely a bad transistor.

Q12 is also showing bad as its showing continuity when any tests are done... Q12, By no surprise, is the transistor that's linked to the only other coil that was missing from the game... The center ramp lifter. BINGO!

Now I know what to fix, and it will only cost a few pennies!

Yay for me!

Just Sharing my experience and excitement!

IMG_20160925_000432 (resized).jpgIMG_20160925_000432 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Good work! Make sure you order Logic Level FETs like IRL530, IRL540, 12N10L. No IRF types! And be carefull when working at these boards: the tiny traces are very easy to destroy.
Big Hurt rules!

Thanks! Yes, I was reading that the IRF are the wrong logic levels) levels, thanks for the heads-up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KillerQ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-hurt-problem-solving-proud-of-myself?tu=KillerQ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.