(Topic ID: 169935)

Gottlieb Big Hurt coil lock - troubleshooting fun! Let's all learn!

By KillerQ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by KillerQ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c038df5e1ce1fda3daf216eba19e2ec5-picsay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KillerQ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey, All...

I just picked up a 1995 Gottlieb Big Hurt machine and it's an absolute blast. It's a blast to play even though it didn't come with a coil in the center ramp lifter or on the right Kicker/slingshot.

The fact that those coils were pulled made me think that the old owner was lazy and there may have been an issue beyond just a 'bad' coil.

So, I purchased a new coil for the right slingshot (part #5195) and put it in. The coil locked on immediately, so I shut the machine off.

In Doing some research, and giving myself a crash course in schematics, I learned that transistor Q4 on the driver board controlled the right Kicker coil. I tested that specific transistor, and it was blown. So, I successfully replaced that old 12n10L with a IRL540, and tried the test again. (ironically, I also replaced Q12 which was blown - and this happened to be the transistor that controls the center ramp lifter assembly.... But I'm not focusing on that coil at the moment)

The coil immediately locked. I shut the machine off. Thankfully, the new transistor and the coil, as well as the coil diode all still test OK, so nothing has blown again, thankfully....

Are there any other common things to check in this case? I also have lamp #10 that always stays on, so I'm not sure if that is on the lamp matrix in such a position that it's messing with the switch matrix and impacting the tight Kicker....

I just realized this.... even though nothing seems strange during gameplay with switches, when I run a Switch test, there are several switches that show as being closed. Perhaps I should check every one of those and check for shorts and ground issues before I start diagnosing the coil lock, as they may be related.....right?

Thanks a ton in advance, and I hope others can use this post in the future - I know I would, lol.

Thanks again,

Matt!

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the info... I love the detail!

I did the switch test again to verify what was showing closed. The two switches that showed were TROUGH and OUTHOLE. But, since I still had the balls in the machine during this test,that explains both of these switches.... So, all switches (would be) now open.

#4 7 years ago

Anyone have a System 3 a driver Board that they wanna sell? Lol

#7 7 years ago

c038df5e1ce1fda3daf216eba19e2ec5-picsay (resized).jpgc038df5e1ce1fda3daf216eba19e2ec5-picsay (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KillerQ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-hurt-coil-lock-troubleshooting-fun-lets-all-learn?tu=KillerQ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.