Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by mdo1998
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

65F99876-FD12-47E2-AD18-73924B990B35 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230218-021958.png
    2D3130E1-FAF8-461F-BEC8-AD2ABBAE0906 (resized).jpeg
    5563A175-010A-4502-986E-DAD6EBDBC233 (resized).jpeg
    698BF28C-D8DB-4C49-B156-3CDAF17F9381 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    CC96EAC6-E54C-48E1-9F91-1CFD6C34D923 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Hello All,

This machine has me stumped. For the most part my Gottlieb big hit will not do anything (dead,no lights nothing) On occasion I can hit the target relay and it resets the target but it sounds like it’s getting way to much volts/juice when resetting. Then back to nothing. Completely dead. I Removed all the fuses and checked them. Everything seams to be getting power. What am I missing?

CC96EAC6-E54C-48E1-9F91-1CFD6C34D923 (resized).jpegCC96EAC6-E54C-48E1-9F91-1CFD6C34D923 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

For the most part my Gottlieb big hit will not do anything (dead,no lights nothing)

Does it reset when you push the Replay button on the front door?

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

No. It does nothing. Like it’s not even plugged in.

#4 1 year ago

If pushing in the U relay (is that what you meant by the target relay?) gets the bank to reset, then I'd assume you have 120V in the lower part of the circuit - although you said it only sometimes works.

What happens if you manually press the armature on the S relay, does the machine do anything?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

If pushing in the U relay (is that what you meant by the target relay?) gets the bank to reset, then I'd assume you have 120V in the lower part of the circuit - although you said it only sometimes works.
    What happens if you manually press the armature on the S relay, does the machine do anything?

S relay does nothing. This thing is dead. But sometimes the U relay works. It’s very spotty..

#6 1 year ago

Do you have any lights on at all? Tilt light? Coin chute lights? Are those bulbs good?

If you press on the armature of the H relay, do any lights come on?

Trying to figure out if your 120V section is working.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Do you have any lights on at all? Tilt light? Coin chute lights? Are those bulbs good?
    If you press on the armature of the H relay, do any lights come on?
    Trying to figure out if your 120V section is working.

Thanks for all your help. I have pushed every relay on this machine. Nothing happens. I have no lights anywhere. Every bulb is dead. But like I said on occasion I can hit the u relay and it will reset the two drop targets but it sounds like it has way more energy than it should. That’s the only thing that does something. I was checking the 2amp slow blow fuses on the Playfield and felt a good buzz..

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Quoted from SteamVette:

No. It does nothing. Like it’s not even plugged in.

If pushing the Replay button doesn't activate the Start (S) relay,
    Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
    Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#9 1 year ago

Have you confirmed 110v to the machine and a working power switch.

#10 1 year ago

Hitting the power switch should at least get coin door lights and backglass lights. How are your Jones plugs?

Could you post a pic of you transformer, maybe there’s an issue there?

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Hitting the power switch should at least get coin door lights and backglass lights. How are your Jones plugs?

I’ll get a photo as soon as I can. I reset all my jones plugs with no luck. No lights at coin door.

#12 1 year ago

698BF28C-D8DB-4C49-B156-3CDAF17F9381 (resized).jpeg698BF28C-D8DB-4C49-B156-3CDAF17F9381 (resized).jpeg5563A175-010A-4502-986E-DAD6EBDBC233 (resized).jpeg5563A175-010A-4502-986E-DAD6EBDBC233 (resized).jpeg
    #13 1 year ago

It’s probably just hard to see from the picture, but is this wire connection ok?

2D3130E1-FAF8-461F-BEC8-AD2ABBAE0906 (resized).jpeg2D3130E1-FAF8-461F-BEC8-AD2ABBAE0906 (resized).jpeg
    #14 1 year ago

It’s probably just hard to see from the picture, but is this wire connection ok?
    [quoted image]

Looks suspect. I'd cut off the end, strip fresh wire, remove old solder on the transformer connectors and resolder.

Power cord could be toast and so could the transformer.

Do you have a multimeter?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from sfspanky:

Looks suspect. I'd cut off the end, strip fresh wire, remove old solder on the transformer connectors and resolder.
    Power cord could be toast and so could the transformer.
    Do you have a multimeter?

Agreed, that connection looks a bit crusty, also it's a double black wire with only one connected. Perhaps not needed?
    That transformer does look a bit toasty. Not sure it's supposed to black and burnt looking, like that but testing would tell if it's functioning properly.

#16 1 year ago

I have a Big Hit, but I’m out of town. I’ll be back home next Tuesday to inspect my wiring and give a photo comparison

Brian

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Agreed, that connection looks a bit crusty, also it's a double black wire with only one connected. Perhaps not needed?
    That transformer does look a bit toasty. Not sure it's supposed to black and burnt looking, like that but testing would tell if it's functioning properly.

That black wire is the “hot” and if the other wire was meant to be connected, then the resistance without the other wire being connected would generate heat and fry the power cord wires and transformer over time. Haven’t been in the belly of my Big Hit in forever, but I’ll get in it next Tuesday and report back. My gut tells me if you replace the power cord and transformer, you’ll be back up and running.

#18 1 year ago

You could try plugging in a light fixture into the mechanical board outlet. Flex the pinball machine line cord to try to get the light to go out.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballdaveh:

You could try plugging in a light fixture into the mechanical board outlet. Flex the pinball machine line cord to try to get the light to go out.

The outlet works. I’m able to plug something into that and it comes on.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Quoted from sfspanky:

That black wire is the “hot” and if the other wire was meant to be connected, then the resistance without the other wire being connected would generate heat and fry the power cord wires and transformer over time. Haven’t been in the belly of my Big Hit in forever, but I’ll get in it next Tuesday and report back. My gut tells me if you replace the power cord and transformer, you’ll be back up and running.

They both actually look pretty good. I know looks can be deceiving. But some of my other games look tougher than this one.
    I was able to plug into the outlet on the board and it does work.

#21 1 year ago

Just to be clear: you've verified this black wire is connected, and not broken/burnt off?

Screenshot_20230218-021958.pngScreenshot_20230218-021958.png
    #22 1 year ago

Perhaps I missed an earlier post..
    So....
    With a volt meter check the transformer output, (top terminals).
    If you have input voltage, (bottom teminals) and no output, then transformer is bad.

#23 1 year ago

**update** So I replaced my transformer and my machine powers right up now. As soon as I start a game it goes into tilt mode and ends the game. Both tilt relays look to be operating as they should.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

**update** So I replaced my transformer and my machine powers right up now. As soon as I start a game it goes into tilt mode and ends the game. Both tilt relays look to be operating as they should.

Check all your tilts throughout the machine. One is probably being made or is open. Depending on which tilt it is

#25 1 year ago

When I turn the power switch on, Big Hit is always in “Tilt”. When the replay button is pressed, a switch on AX closes and the Tilt Hold(H) relay is energized and held by a switch on (H). This causes the Tilt light to go out and the playfield lights to come on. Good so far?

#26 1 year ago

When I turn the power switch on, Big Hit is always in “Tilt”. When the replay button is pressed, a switch on AX closes and the Tilt Hold(H) relay is energized and held by a switch on (H). This causes the Tilt light to go out and the playfield lights to come on. Good so far?

I’m able to play games now. Start sequence all works. Only thing now is ball in play lights don’t work. Snow shoes look to be good and lined up on the brass rivets.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

I’m able to play games now. Start sequence all works. Only thing now is ball in play lights don’t work. Snow shoes look to be good and lined up on the brass rivets.

Awesome! The ball in play lights go through a switch on the H relay and one on the P (Add ball count unit relay).

65F99876-FD12-47E2-AD18-73924B990B35 (resized).jpeg65F99876-FD12-47E2-AD18-73924B990B35 (resized).jpeg
    #28 1 year ago

Awesome! The ball in play lights go through a switch on the H relay and one on the P (Add ball count unit relay).
    [quoted image]

Thanks for your help. I have pulled those relays out and checked them like 4
    Times. I’ll pull them again. Ha

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Thanks for your help. I have pulled those relays out and checked them like 4
    Times. I’ll pull them again. Ha

You bet. I like the troubleshooting, it’s like solving a puzzle or mystery. Usually I’m way off, but every now and then I can help find the problem.

5 months later
    #32 8 months ago

I have I believe a similar problem with my Big Hit, score reels will reset, credit wheel counts down correctly, but machine remains in Tilt and games cannot be played, also drop targets don’t reset. In the trail above the “Tilt” issue is discussed, but I don’t see the findings. Could you share what you did to resolve the tilt issue?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-hit-wont-do-anything- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.