You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi there everyone,

My grandfather has owned a Gottlieb big hit pinball machine for as long as I can remember, and I have some really fun memories of playing this machine. However, it seized up after a game several years ago and was left for quite a while because the keys were lost. I've recently gotten into locksport, so I took my pics to it and was able to get it cracked open pretty fast.

I'm no beginner when it comes to electronics, but when it comes to electromagnetic systems like this, I'm a little out of my element. I have ordered schematics in the manual from PBResource, but as this machine is located at our cottage, I only get a very small period of time to look at it each week. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do at the moment without the schematics that might help get the machine back up and running.

The state of the machine was exactly as it was at the end of the last game it played. The score reels showed 6000 points, and the runs counter showed 02 runs. When the machine is turned on, the normal back box lights go on, as well as the game over and tilt indicators. Dropping a coin through the acceptor would cause the score motor to turn one third and then stop. Manually pushing the score motor also causes it to turn one third and then stop. All of the fuses measure as being good.

I've been doing quite a bit of research into Gottlieb electromechanical systems, and it seems like this situation is related to some component of the machine not resetting to its default state. At the recommendation of some guides, I have tried manually resetting the score rotors by taking them out of the back box and incrementing them until they are all zero. I have also tried manually engaging the "S" relay. Now, whenever the machine is turned on, the score motor will spin continuously. While this is happening, the total play meter is incrementing about once every second and the bumper lights are turning on and off at the same pattern. I also notice some sparks between some of the relay switches, could that be the root cause of this issue?

Currently I'm working on reading the huge electromechanical repair guide at pinrepair, and it is great. But I'm wondering if there might be others around here who have the same machines who might be able to give me more specific advice. So far I've just been poking around, and I feel like I'm making the situation worse following these guides without really knowing what I'm doing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

#2 8 years ago

The lead switches on the thousands real needs to be cleaned. If it is showing 6000, the score motor will keep running. You can use a small file to file the contacts on this score reel. The video below will give you the idea, although it does not show the cleaning of a score reel switches.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from CentiZen:

Now, whenever the machine is turned on, the score motor will spin continuously. While this is happening, the total play meter is incrementing about once every second

The score motor should not start running when the game is just powered on, so that's one clue. And the play meter should only advance once when a game is started, so that's another clue.

The Total Play Meter can only be stepped via a switch closing on the Start relay (S) and a pulse from a switch closing at score motor 2C. So if the meter continues stepping, then that suggests the Start relay is either stuck on, or stuck in a loop getting activated.

The Start relay is energized via the replay button on the coin door, or via a trip wire switch in one of the coin mechs in the door.

Once energized, it stays on until a switch at score motor 2B opens.

So based on the behavior you describe, I'd guess the most likely cause is a stuck switch in one of the coin mechs, causing the game to immediately and repeatedly try to start a game once power is on. So maybe check those first.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The score motor should not start running when the game is just powered on, so that's one clue. And the play meter should only advance once when a game is started, so that's another clue.

The Total Play Meter can only be stepped via a switch closing on the Start relay (S) and a pulse from a switch closing at score motor 2C. So if the meter continues stepping, then that suggests the Start relay is either stuck on, or stuck in a loop getting activated.
The Start relay is energized via the replay button on the coin door, or via a trip wire switch in one of the coin mechs in the door.

So I've taken a close look and didn't see anything wrong with the mechanisms on the door so I removed the Start relay and took at look at it. And here is where my electromechanical empty-headedness starts causing problems. While trying to remove the Start relay to take a look at it, I did this:

IMG_0304.jpgIMG_0304.jpg
The front two switches actuators popped out of the slats on the relay and rested against ones further up. I think I was able to fix it be re-inserting the actuators in the spots that they came out of (indicated by the extra wear in those spots) and now I think it might be fixed, but I don't know for sure.

IMG_0307.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

Now that I have reseated the actuators, the machine comes on like normal, and incremented the credit counter to three when I put a coin through. Pressing the coin door reset button causes the score motor to engage and rotate 120 degrees, when it stops and seemingly all the play field lights turn on. The tilt and game over lights are off now.

I'm really worried I might have permanently damaged the S relay though, is there anything anyone can recommend for testing? Or someone with the schematics that might be able to help me out until I get mine in the mail? I'm going to be heading home for the week later this afternoon. Thanks a bunch for all the help everyone, this is a wonderful community.

Michael

#5 8 years ago

You'll have to straighten out those bent switch blades. It won't be able to work quite right with them bent like that.

Easiest to do with a blade adjustment tool.

But you didn't cause any permanent damage, no worries.

#6 8 years ago

Okay that makes sense. I take it one of the Switch Adjustment Tools are what you are talking about? How exactly do these work?

I also noticed something rather strange - when either one of the vari-targets are pressed, the ball slingshot fires! Not sure why this is happening; need the schematics to know more.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from CentiZen:

Switch Adjustment Tools are what you are talking about?

Yep. The tips have a slit in them, which slip over the edge of the blade, and then you bend to form. For actually adjusting switch gaps, you'd normally only do this at the base of the blade, but in this case you'll want to do it out where they're bent to get them straight again.

#8 8 years ago

Your pinball resource for all EM parts is....wait for it.....Pinball Resource:

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html

Starting at about 9 minutes, there are directions for putting the S relay back together for a Jacks Open. You might want to review that if you need to take apart your relay to fix the bent blades. You may be able to just get away with needle nose pliers to straighten your blades, but the contact adjuster is really a good idea.

When you reassemble, remember that EVERY switch needs to change state. If it starts out open, it needs to close when you actuate the relay, if it starts out open, it needs to shut. I go over this at about 3 minutes into the video.

More good reassembly information is at about 4:30 into the video.

I would recommend you do not do the wire brush and utltrasonic cleaner thing. This is pinball restoration 420. You are at Pinball restoration 101. Clean the switches with a flex stone or folded 400/600 sandpaper.

#9 8 years ago

Thanks newmantjn, I've already been in touch with them and have schematics and manuals on the way for both this machine and an Asteroid Annie I'm working on as well. That video is very helpful too. I'm home for the week so I can't try anything now but I'm hoping to make it up to the cottage for at least a day over the weekend so I'll give it a shot then.

#10 8 years ago

I'll lean towards the coin relay switch as being the initial problem as the play counter keeps incrementing. I have a GTB 1970 "Baseball", same machine I believe. It was recommended to me to start "Ninja" training at pinballninja.com and I'll tell you, best $20 I've spent with a PayPal donation. I removed the playfield, three jones plugs and out it comes. Removing the playfield GREATLY reduces the potential problems. With it removed, fire up the game and you can see what is causing the problem (coin relay possibly), then test the scoring reels, advance the ball count to "game over" and reset again to test as needed. With that all in order, any further issues are playfield or associated switch related, stuck roll over switch, misadjusted relay or similar.

Well (after a quick Google) seems Big Hit is a later, 1977, game. I dunno if the above applies, but ya can give it a shot.

Takes a little more time, yes, but reduces the "guess work".
Best-o-luck and happy hunting ... lol

#11 8 years ago

double post ... slow server

1 week later
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from DPhillips1965:

I'll lean towards the coin relay switch as being the initial problem as the play counter keeps incrementing. I have a GTB 1970 "Baseball", same machine I believe. It was recommended to me to start "Ninja" training at pinballninja.com and I'll tell you, best $20 I've spent with a PayPal donation. I removed the playfield, three jones plugs and out it comes. Removing the playfield GREATLY reduces the potential problems. With it removed, fire up the game and you can see what is causing the problem (coin relay possibly), then test the scoring reels, advance the ball count to "game over" and reset again to test as needed. With that all in order, any further issues are playfield or associated switch related, stuck roll over switch, misadjusted relay or similar.
Well (after a quick Google) seems Big Hit is a later, 1977, game. I dunno if the above applies, but ya can give it a shot.
Takes a little more time, yes, but reduces the "guess work".
Best-o-luck and happy hunting ... lol

I'm really interested in this training but pinballninja.com just takes me a wordpress log in page. Am I messing something up here?

EDIT: Nevermind I think I figured it out. Found the page about it on pinrepair. I'd donate 20 bucks to this guy just for all the help he's given me so far - this is just an added bonus!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Covington, LA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-hit-game-wont-resetscore-motor-wont-stop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.