(Topic ID: 71122)

Gottlieb Bells - Testing different sounds with different 3" bells.

By jodini

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by boilerman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I really thought some of you might enjoy this and probably give me some insight also. My Dodge City and other Gottlieb machines have distinct sounds for different point values, but my Gigi does not. I've heard other peoples Gigi on youtube and noticed the same thing....same bells and same sounds.

So I decided to do a test...order two different bells that I didn't have that were all 3".
Feedback welcomed....short 2 min video.

#2 10 years ago

Nice show and tell Joe.

Other options in case you have a machine with 2-3 Bells and really want the sounds to stand out.

http://www.norkro.com/store/bells-c-155_153/

http://timesavers.com/c-325494-clock-repair-replacement-parts-bellsgongschime-rodshammers-related.html

ebay.com link: CHIMES BELLS HAMMERS

I'm sure there are more sources but these are a good start.

Ken

#3 10 years ago

For me there is not a real big difference between the brass and the silver bell. The bells will be in the cabinet, that may make a difference too.

#4 10 years ago

Plated = 1, 10 pts (This is the sound I remember from my Bank-A-Ball)
Black Bell = 100 pts (Again this is the bell I remember hearing in my Bank-A-Ball)

The brass bell is for something that has the same tone 1,10,100 like a Slick Chick. (I think)
You will hear a brass bell for every bell tone for GiGi in everyone's You Tube videos.
Now that I have watched Slick Chick videos online it seems like some only have one bell tone (Brass like mine) and some have brass and one of the other bells.

Why are the bells going to be in the cabinet. The 60's bells have always been in the head.

#5 10 years ago

Cross Town and, I suspect, many other 60's Gottliebs, have the 100 point bell in the cabinet. I wish it was in the head as it can't be heard so well in that thick wood.

#6 10 years ago

The black bell is the thinnest, so it's the lowest point value. The other two bells (neither is brass by the way) are thicker and would be for high point values. The gold one is just the plating Gottlieb used to resist rust. That's why the two non-black bells sounds the same (they are identical aside from the plating.) They used this goldish plating on a lot of other part, but they are not made of brass. The thickness of the metal is what changes the sound between the black and non-black bells.

Gottlieb eventually stopped using that gold colored plating and went to zinc plating in the 1970s. that's why corrosion became more of an issue then, because zinc plating is not nearly as long living as that gold plating (but is obviously cheaper.)

#7 10 years ago

Good info guys! I didn't think it was actually made of brass. What was interesting was when I first got this machine they were both covered with tape to dampen the sound! So I had to get aggressive with cleaners and it took off the tape and the brass finish a little. So I went to listen to my Dodge City and it has the "black" tone for the lower point values and the brass ton for the higher values....so I'm going to setting up the Gigi like that and see how it goes.

#8 10 years ago

those parts were bronze plated.
the plating was done with multi coats so it protected better
the later zinc plating was a single coat and did not wear well
not sure of the extact machine they switched from bronze to zinc on but it was around 1971

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-bells-testing-different-sounds-with-different-3-bells and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.