You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stop Bracket (resized).PNG
IMG_7703 (resized).JPG
IMG_7704 (resized).JPG

#1 4 months ago

I have a 1970 Gottlieb Batter Up game with a suspect Man on First relay. When I 'hit' a home run the reset (Ar) solenoid will activate, pull back its plate, thus clearing any man off of first base. When I 'hit' a single with the roll over switches, the the other (A) solenoid will lift up its plate into the position that puts a man on first, but then the (Ar) reset solenoid will activate, pull back its plate, and the (A) solenoid plate will drop down and remove the man on first.

I have tried slightly bending the plates, grinding off the corners of the plates (as see on Kim's Australian pinball youtube channel, The Goat Shed), changed spring tension to no avail. It seems the Ar solenoid fires when it shouldn't and lets the A solenoid plate drop when it shouldn't.

Is there perhaps a too tight switch I should look at? I've rotated the score motor with the game off and all the switches seem to open and shut properly. Any help appreciated as I'm out of ideas.

The video is what happens when I hit a single. Henry

#2 4 months ago

A & Ar relays

IMG_7703 (resized).JPGIMG_7703 (resized).JPGIMG_7704 (resized).JPGIMG_7704 (resized).JPG
#3 4 months ago

Is your Hit Unit stepper taking 5 clean steps whenever a hit is registered? The AR relay coil should get one pulse to clear the runner (maybe the 4th Motor 1A pulse) before the A relay coil decides whether there should be a man on 1st. AR relay pulses are coming through the Hit Unit so any extra pulses might be due to some kind of Hit Unit issue.

Details and animations on how this circuit works are at:
https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/gottlieb-grand-slam-base-runner-circuit-animation

/Mark

#4 4 months ago

Thank you, Mark. Hit unit takes five even steps, landing on rivets each time, then ends where it started. I will check it again tomorrow when I have more light. I'll also check your fun with pinball site again. Any other ideas if the hit unit steps properly?

I'll also try to post slow motion looks at the Man on First relay in action but have to wait for my son's help on loading to youtube.

#5 4 months ago

If your Score Motor has a service jack you could remove the plug from the jack, or just desolder one of the Score Motor solder tabs. Then you could close a hit target switch and manually turn the Score Motor slowly to watch/listen for things as they happen. It might give you a better idea when the extra pulses are happening.

Just be sure not to turn the Score Motor clockwise.

#6 4 months ago

Mark, thank you for the help. I noticed that the hit unit was advancing two rivets at a time. It initially fooled me since it always came back to the proper starting position, but in two rivets times 5 (ten steps) instead of one rivet times five. I unloosened the hit unit from the bottom board to inspect. The Gottlieb Stop Bracket A-256 is broken off, allowing the coil plunger arm to move too far, catching two teeth at a time instead of one. I'm not sure if this is the cause of my problems, maybe you can comment on that, but I will order the part, install, and see what happens.

Stop Bracket (resized).PNGStop Bracket (resized).PNG
#7 4 months ago

You’re in great hands here already. One observation watching video…the switch closest to armature plate has some odd arcing. Make sure clean and adjusted properly. If any adjustment needed, first make sure switch stack screws are tight tightening screw closest to blades first.

#8 3 months ago

A new stop bracket got the hit unit advance down to one rivet at a time (5 rivets per cycle) and solved some of the problems. But crazy stuff persisted - a double with bases empty put men on first, second, and third, etc weirdness for other base combination situations. I spend some time adjusting switches on the Man on First relay and got it sorted out. Then the free balls at point and runs thresholds didn't register at all for points, and oddly for runs. That was motor switch 1C. All looks good now. Thank you MarkG for pointing me to the Hit Unit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-batter-up-man-on-first-relay-1?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.