• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Upper corner (resized).jpg
Under the rebound (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Yes, it's me again - progressing on my great Bank A Ball playfield refurbishment. Working towards the top, removed the top metal bracket to replace the rebound rubber and clean everything. To my surprise, there's lights under here - who knew? They were all burned out so I didn't realize they existed. There were two red tubes around the outer light bulbs, and a clear tube around one of the inside ones as seen in the pics. Questions - should the missing tube be clear? Can they be obtained via pinball resource? Will the pinball resource website work again?

Thanks, and thanks to your advice, I am making great progress! Ken

Under the rebound (resized).jpgUnder the rebound (resized).jpgUpper corner (resized).jpgUpper corner (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

PBR sells these - "Hard Plastics Lamp Sleeve/Shade", available in several colors. I assume these are applicable, talk with Steve to be sure, or someone else here can comment. Bank-A-Ball uses yellow and red.

pbresource.com/lampcov.html when the site comes back up...

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Fred17:

Yes, it's me again - progressing on my great Bank A Ball playfield refurbishment. Working towards the top, removed the top metal bracket to replace the rebound rubber and clean everything. To my surprise, there's lights under here - who knew? They were all burned out so I didn't realize they existed. There were two red tubes around the outer light bulbs, and a clear tube around one of the inside ones as seen in the pics. Questions - should the missing tube be clear? Can they be obtained via pinball resource? Will the pinball resource website work again?
Thanks, and thanks to your advice, I am making great progress! Ken
[quoted image][quoted image]

Although a pain in the ass to change the bulbs I love ball arch lighting. Not sure why Gottlieb got away from them.

#4 1 year ago

Not likely clear. Was yellow, faded to clear.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks guys, I've sent PBR an e-mail - we'll see if their e-mail still working.

Answer - no, it's not. I will wait. Thanks again

#6 1 year ago

Just a thought - don't they make little led bulb replacements? Maybe this would be a good place to use those?? Thoughts?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Fred17:

Just a thought - don't they make little led bulb replacements? Maybe this would be a good place to use those?? Thoughts?

There are colored 47’s(and or 44’s) you can get. I think in red/green/blue/yellow. Been a long time since I’ve ordered.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Although a pain in the ass to change the bulbs I love ball arch lighting. Not sure why Gottlieb got away from them.

I think you may have answered your own question within your question!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Fred17:

I know LED's can be a touchy subject for some purists but I would suggest using Comet warm white LED's under the ball arch. The tubes for the bulbs will alter the color of the white light slightly, it is not a dramtic effect. Colored LED's will be overstaured in color compared to the standard bulb with a colored tube. But either way I would use LED's.

Quoted from homebrood:

I think you may have answered your own question within your question!

Likely and thought the same when typing that. I'd imagine the operators stated they were a PIA to change and Gottlieb thought they could save a few bucks in manufacturing costs. I'm glad Bally kept doing it.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Fred17:

To my surprise, there's lights under here -

For the past quite a few machines, I put led bulbs in those 4 sockets. The yellow and
red plastic tubes don't naturally fit over the bottom portion of the bulb, so I carefully heat
the bottom (the end that I'm first slipping over the bulb) with a heat gun. I say carefully
because you need just enough heat to slightly soften the bottom of the tube without it
beginning to melt..
I found I had to cut a bit off of PBR's tubes. I cut about 1/4 of it off with a thin zippy
wheel..

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Although a pain in the ass to change the bulbs I love ball arch lighting. Not sure why Gottlieb got away from them

They designed the arch lamp sockets to be easily removable from beneath the playfield by loosening the screw, then removing the hairpin. If you notice, the screw hole on those particular sockets are larger than those on other lamp sockets. That's in order to facilitate easy removal (no need to remove the screw completely).
I imagine they went away from the arch lighting as a cost cutting measure.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Fred17:

Thanks guys, I've sent PBR an e-mail - we'll see if their e-mail still working.
Answer - no, it's not. I will wait. Thanks again

PBR is up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-bank-a-ball-woah-there-s-lights-up-under-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.