(Topic ID: 196769)

Solved- Gottlieb Ball Count /game over (Help)

By Pinphila

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinphila
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ball Count switch at Game Over (resized).JPG
Ball count switch at 5 to play (resized).JPG
Ball Count at Game Over (resized).JPG
Ball Count at 5 to play (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I know, I know - there are a million ball count issue threads and I have looked at them all. I am working on a Ball Count Unit on a Centigrade. I disassembled the unit and degreased most of it minus the spring. The counter steps freely and resets. When I start a game, the ball kicks out to a dead playfield. I can manually move the wipe to the 1 position and the game will play. When the ball drains, it will not move to two though. However, then I move the ball to the three position and drain the ball, the stepper will engage to the 5th ball and end the game. The number 5 is up on the backbox. What am I missing? More cleaning? I aligned the wiper unit.

Thanks. I am hoping to bring this to York show.

#2 6 years ago

Here are the 4 most likely switches to interrupt power to the playfield.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. Those all seem to work.

#4 6 years ago

On some games of this era I think it's the ball trough switch between the out hole and the shooter lane that advances the ball count unit. If you start a game it should reset, but power won't be sent to the playfield until the ball rolls over the trough switch and advances the ball count unit to ball 1.

You can check the ball trough switch by removing the ball, lifting the playfield, pulling it out a bit and gently leaning it back against the head. Then start a new game. Once things have reset manually close the ball trough switch from underneath the playfield and the ball count unit should advance to ball 1. If it doesn't that could be a problem.

If the ball count unit advances but you're not getting power to the playfield until some later ball, then it may be that your ball count unit isn't properly aligned.

/Mark

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

On some games of this era I think it's the ball trough switch between the out hole and the shooter lane that advances the ball count unit. If you start a game it should reset, but power won't be sent to the playfield until the ball rolls over the trough switch and advances the ball count unit to ball 1.
You can check the ball trough switch by removing the ball, lifting the playfield, pulling it out a bit and gently leaning it back against the head. Then start a new game. Once things have reset manually close the ball trough switch from underneath the playfield and the ball count unit should advance to ball 1. If it doesn't that could be a problem.
If the ball count unit advances but you're not getting power to the playfield until some later ball, then it may be that your ball count unit isn't properly aligned.
/Mark

Or the switches on the ball count unit itself are not correct.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll check. it advances itself when it's on ball 3 though to end the game.

#7 6 years ago

You were right on switch. The pain now is getting the wiper to constantly line up.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

The pain now is getting the wiper to constantly line up.

Check for wear, slop, dirt and grime in the stepper parts, particularly in the arm that advances the gear from one position to the next and in the gear that drives the wiper arms. Sometimes the wear is where a small arm is riveted to a larger arm. A cleaned and adjusted stepper should snap from one set of contacts to the next when you push in the solenoid plunger and just let go.

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

Mark, thanks for the help. I did remove the arm and cleaned up the mech and it steps pretty cleanly from home position thru 5. It is not making the 6th contact to end the game though. I stops short everytime. If I adjust the wiper, it throws off the rest. Any thoughts.

#10 6 years ago

These pictures are from an AAB, maybe they will help. They show at 5 balls to play, and at game over.

Ball Count at 5 to play (resized).JPGBall Count at 5 to play (resized).JPG

Ball Count at Game Over (resized).JPGBall Count at Game Over (resized).JPG

Ball count switch at 5 to play (resized).JPGBall count switch at 5 to play (resized).JPG

Ball Count switch at Game Over (resized).JPGBall Count switch at Game Over (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Mark, thanks for the help. I did remove the arm and cleaned up the mech and it steps pretty cleanly from home position thru 5. It is not making the 6th contact to end the game though. I stops short everytime. If I adjust the wiper, it throws off the rest. Any thoughts.

You're welcome. Can you clarify what it's doing? It sounds like you can play a game normally but that the game won't end after draining ball 5. Is that the case? Does the stepper try to advance and fail (mechanical problem), or does it not even try to advance (electrical/control problem)?

#12 6 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for writing back. It will play a game normally but when ball 5 drains, its doesnt go to game over. When I go look at the wiper after ball 5, it is actually between spots 5 and 6. Its not reaching the game over point. Does that help? I can take a picture. I disassmble the mechanism and cleaned the gunk out. I also sanded the contact points. The problem is the wiper physically doesnt reach that 6th point. Sure, I can loosen the wiper to make it line up but then previous 1-5 spots dont line up. I feel it is being contrained by something.

#13 6 years ago

So the game tries to advance the stepper past position 5, but the stepper mechanically doesn't reach the 6th position. That indicates that the circuitry is working and that as you suspected something is mechanically binding the stepper. Since you've taken it apart it's possible that something wasn't put back quite right. No offense, it happens a lot.

That shouldn't be hard to sort out. With the power off try to take the stepper through all of its positions just by pushing in and releasing the solenoid plungers. The reset plunger ought to return the stepper to the starting position from all of the other positions. And the advance plunger should advance it to all positions reliably.

The photos Billc479 posted above show a couple of pins mounted to the stepper gear. These pins usually open and close switches at the limits of the stepper's motion. Check that those pins only open or close switches in the first and last positions. It's possible for example that a switch stack is mounted to the wrong side of the frame, or has the wrong number of spacers or something else that changed the relative positions of the switch and pin. It's also possible that the spring around the gear has too much tension. I think they typically need 3-4 turns if everything is clean and otherwise working.

This is the beauty of EM machines. You should be able to see this problem with the power off by just manipulating and experimenting with the stepper.

#14 6 years ago

Mark,

Thanks again! Your first sentence is correct. I dont doubt I may have put something back incorrectly. I am going to take it apart and see.

When the game is off, I take the stepper through all the positions but again, it gets hung up between 5-6. I will check the switch stack, didnt think of that one yet. Ill keep you posted. Thank you!

#15 6 years ago

Going by memory, I had the same issue with this machine. I think I ended up having to move the wafer on the shaft just a bit ( setscrews under the moving wafer) and adjusting the wafer with the screws visible on the wafer.

We're not talking much movement on the shaft. The way I looked at it, the shaft adjustment was the gross adjustment and the screws on the wafer was the fine adjustment. If you removed the wafer during cleaning, you may not have gotten the setscrews back in the same position on the shaft.

#16 6 years ago

I don't know how to link a topic, but search for team one add a ball topic that I started. It shows a picture of what I found with my stepper unit. May not be applicable, but worth a look.

#17 6 years ago

Thanks Bill! I'll look it up!

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

So I narrowed this down to the issue of the ball count unit is not going past position 5 on its own. When the game is in 3 ball play, it will get to the end of the third ball, then instead of going to position 6 (game over) it goes to position 5 and stops the game. The number 5 lights up.

When the game is in 5 ball, it plays fine until position 5, then stops the game. 5 will light up on the backglass but it will not play, you only get 4 balls. The fifth ball will load into the shooter but the playfield is dead.

If I mannually actuate the mech to position 6, game over light comes on.

I have cleaned all the connections.

#19 6 years ago

Can you manually activate the stepper to first reset, then step it to ball 1,2,3,4,5, 6th position?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Can you manually activate the stepper to first reset, then step it to ball 1,2,3,4,5, 6th position?

Yes

#21 6 years ago

I'm thinking maybe it's the switch stack

#22 6 years ago

Basically, if the game is in 3 ball, the ball count stepper coil only pulses twice to bring it to position 5. When the game is in 5 ball, after the 4th ball, it goes to position 5 but the playfield is dead, no switches or coils. Make sense?

#23 6 years ago

I'm thinking if it steps through all positions manually, and making proper contact on the lugs, I would carefully inspect the switch stack making note of the 6th position switch contacts.

Also without getting too involved, inspect the switch contacts at "AX".

#24 6 years ago

thanks. the fact its pulsing 2 times and not 3 in 3 ball leads me to believe its something else

#25 6 years ago

Bump.

#26 6 years ago

(Just trying to catch up here...) So the ball count unit used to have some kind of mechanical binding to prevent it from getting to the 6th position, but that has been resolved. Now it can step to all positions as it should when manually activated, but the game ends when the ball count unit reaches the 5th step.

So while the stepper may be stepping freely now, I think that at least one of its switches is wonky. On the schematic at location 11I there is a normally closed switch labeled "6th position Ball Count Unit" that connects a Red wire to a Red-Black wire. It cuts power to most of the game. In fact it cuts power to more of the game than the Tilt switch does.

That switch is likely to be opened by one of the pins sticking out of the toothed gear in the ball count unit. It sounds like that switch isn't adjusted properly and is opening on position 5 instead of position 6. With the power off, you should be able to watch those switches get opened and closed by those pins as you advance the ball count unit through its various positions.

Quoted from MarkG:

Check that those pins only open or close switches in the first and last positions. It's possible for example that a switch stack is mounted to the wrong side of the frame, or has the wrong number of spacers or something else that changed the relative positions of the switch and pin.

#27 6 years ago

Better yet, post a picture of the switch in position 5.

#28 6 years ago

This old post might help get you on the right track:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-the-“extra-ball-after-game-over”-in-a-gottlieb-single-player-em

I had a Centigrade 37 where the game wouldn't go into game over. The culprit was one of the short black jumper wires on the back of the ball count unit. It had detached, so the rivets for positions 3 and 5 weren't completing the circuit for the game to step up to game over.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Better yet, post a picture of the switch in position 5.

I'll post a pic but the switch (on on Ball count unit) is open on Ball 5

#30 6 years ago

Fixed - it was the switch stack behind the count unit. I realized that the switch to end the game was opening at position 5, not position 6 like it supposed to. This in turn killed the playfield but did not end the game. So I adjusted the stack. Now, this resulted in Ball one position not working...why, because the other switch was open...needless to say, after some manual persuasion, she's working! Now to fix a gunked up credit wheel.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-ball-count-issue-help?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.