(Topic ID: 258723)

Gottlieb Bad Girls Display "garbage" when flipper button pressed...

By Oldschool77

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200103_173708_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg
20191226_193627 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys! I have an odd issue with my Gottlieb Bad Girls. I have only had it a couple weeks and honestly I didn’t notice if it did this or not when I got it so I don’t know at what point the issue started…

ANYWAYS…when I flip the right flipper, the lower display ONLY has random letters and numbers pop up dimly in addition to the actual score on it. It only happens for a split second right when it’s flipped….to make things more complicated, I’ve narrowed it down to the upper right flipper only. When I gently press the button and flip only the lower right flipper, it doesn’t do it.

Some things to note…everything is 100% otherwise, and 5VDC is where it should be, all the ground mods have been completed correctly by the previous owner and verified by me to be “grounded“ all the way through. The lower display, when I first got it home was about 1/3 dimmer then the upper….and during a few games (when I first noticed the random numbers issue) it would get dimmer and dimmer (lower display only) during game play to the point it almost went all the way out. As soon as I would turn the game off and back on it would be full brightness again. Also, the yellow caps on the flippers are all cut/broken (the wires) at the cap itself. I have verified nothing is shorted at the flippers, and it’s not a vibration thing (I tried banging on the head and PF while a game was in play, and it did nothing). Obviously, there’s something grounded or shorting somewhere, but I’m not sure how it would make its way back to the display, specifically from the upper right flipper to the lower display only.

Just for "GP" I’m gonna replace the electrolytics and the big resistor on the display board tonite, not expecting much but it’ll make me feel good!

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. The pic is just a pic, I couldn’t snap a pic quick enough to show the issue, I may add a vid tonight. Thanks!

20191226_193627 (resized).jpg20191226_193627 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

You could try cleaning the pot on the voltage regulator board. Or just replace that pot and adjust voltages again. Those pots are garbage and get intermittent dead spots that cause random issues with 80b games.

Then replace the big cap in the bottom of the cabinet. Or the cap on the display board.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

You could try cleaning the pot on the voltage regulator board. Or just replace that pot and adjust voltages again. Those pots are garbage and get intermittent dead spots that cause random issues with 80b games.
Then replace the big cap in the bottom of the cabinet. Or the cap on the display board.

I've actually already cleaned the 5VDC pot on the PS and replaced the big transformer cap. Doing the display caps and large resistor tonite. Not sure what the Large transformer cap or the 5VDC pot would have to do with all this, but stranger things are possible i guess, I mean it is 80B ha ha!!

#4 4 years ago

Yeah 80b games are wierd. The voltage goes from the voltage regulator through the boards to the bottom of the cabinet to the displays then back to power the boards

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Yeah 80b games are wierd. The voltage goes from the voltage regulator through the boards to the bottom of the cabinet to the displays then back to power the boards

Really?

As a possible cause, I would check the diode on the flippercoil and replace it.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Really?
As a possible cause, I would check the diode on the flippercoil and replace it.

Good idea!! I totally forgot about the coil diode, thanks!

#7 4 years ago

Sounds like a coil diode to me.

#8 4 years ago

Maybe this too. Check slam tilt switches and diodes. Could be messing up with flipper coil vibration.
Screenshot_20200103_173708_com.android.chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200103_173708_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg

#9 4 years ago

Update....changed the diode and it made it "better" but not completely gone. Maybe I'll try the lower flipper coil diode tonite too since the cabinet switches are tied together. Also...side note....do those disk caps on the cabinet flipper buttons ever go bad? And I have a second wired switch on the back of the EOS on the upper right flipper, but this game has no lane change...any idea what that's for? (I tried looking for it in the manual but I think I'm missing that page). Thanks for all the help!

#10 4 years ago

All three of my flipper assemblies are a cobbled together mess. Gonna make them right (install the correct parts), clean things up, install those caps, and see if that helps, if nothing else my flippers need a nice solid rebuild anyways. Also, i'm having a hard time following the power path to the flippers in my manual. I believe they are powered independently of any boards (straight off transformer power?) can someone confirm/explain this a little better?

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 50.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-bad-girls-display-garbage-when-flipper-button-pressed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.