Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

83B11048-0D6C-41BE-818F-E12C4DB30DAD (resized).jpeg
IMG_8452 (resized).JPG
IMG_8454 (resized).JPG
IMG_8455 (resized).JPG
IMG_8453 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

Picked up a Ship Ahoy recently. Relatively nice backglass. All but no flaking.

IMG_8455 (resized).JPGIMG_8455 (resized).JPG

As usual, some of the old black padding that was stuck to the light board has adhered to the back of the glass. In a few places - it's reacted to the paint and discolored things from the front.
IMG_8452 (resized).JPGIMG_8452 (resized).JPG
IMG_8453 (resized).JPGIMG_8453 (resized).JPG
IMG_8454 (resized).JPGIMG_8454 (resized).JPG

I assume there's no way to safely remove the padding, and this is a case of damage done. I sure as Hell don't want to make it worse.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate things? I realize it took 45+ years to get to where things are now and it's not likely to get much worse if at all while I own the game, but it would be nice to do what I can to minimize additional damage.

With other EMs, I've not had this discoloration and just added new felt padding to the light board in the same spots that it was in previously. It seems maybe this isn't the best idea in this case?

Long post shorter - what's the best way of proceeding here that doesn't involve me risking further damage?

Also - I'll be putting some comet warm white retros in the light box. Any particular reason to triple thick the blackglass given that it's not really flaking at this point?

#2 2 years ago

I’m restoring a game where all of the felt has deteriorated. What do folks use for replacements?

#3 2 years ago

I would just leave it alone, the adhesive on the foam is what caused the ink staining anyway and you can't take that stuff off without damaging the ink further.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I would just leave it alone, the adhesive on the foam is what caused the ink staining anyway and you can't take that stuff off without damaging the ink further.

Definitely leaning that way. A part of me wants to rub off some of the black crap just so it's not constantly making a mess, but I'm afraid that if I go too far light would shine through and it wouldn't remain fully opaque.

Think I'm just going to add new pads in a few new opaque areas and leave the current old bits as is. Maybe it would cause more issues with the paint over time, but I'm sure I'll only have this machine for a year or two.

Any thoughts on whether to triple thick or not?

Quoted from undrdog:

I’m restoring a game where all of the felt has deteriorated. What do folks use for replacements?

I'm no pro by any means, but I've used litle buts of wool (I think) furniture pads that would go under the legs of a table. Found some that are just thick enough to keep a backglass from rattling, and as far as I can see - no chance of adhering to the paint.

#5 2 years ago

I've had good luck gently rubbing the residue with a finger to loosen it. It will usually just flake off slowly. Once the foam is gone you'll never get the adhesive off. At that point I clean the inside on the glass with a Windex wetted soft cloth to remove any dirt and them triple thick it. Won't be perfect of course but usually looks good.

#6 2 years ago

Every game I have has that old deteriorated foam on the back. Never have seen it affect the paint like that.

Wonder if replacing the padding with something would darken those areas and make it less noticeable. You could try it by cutting up some notecards to see what effect it has.

#7 2 years ago

The crumbling remnants of this rotted foam make a mess, so I scratch the remaining bits off with my fingernail until there is nothing but the adhesive strip remaining, which I have never tried to remove. Too risky.

This padding is away from the recessed cavities where the GI resides, so light tends not to bleed through. If it does, remedies are plentiful: acrylic paint, sharpie, masking tape, etc.

Triple Thick only if you can detect lifting ink, especially if it appears fragile. From what I can see, your glass looks mighty fine.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

The fuzzy side of Velcro. It will never cause this issue as the foam did.

#9 2 years ago

This has happened on my Surf Champ. I cannot pull open the back-box mechs as it has bonded so strongly with the backglass at a minimum it will rip off the paint.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

This has happened on my Surf Champ. I cannot pull open the back-box mechs as it has bonded so strongly with the backglass at a minimum it will rip off the paint.

Take a piece of dental floss and carefully work it between the foam and backboard…not the big. Sometimes easier with two people-one on each side.

#11 2 years ago

It happened on my Flipper Fair. You can see it on the pink elephant on the left side of the picture.

83B11048-0D6C-41BE-818F-E12C4DB30DAD (resized).jpeg83B11048-0D6C-41BE-818F-E12C4DB30DAD (resized).jpeg
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Take a piece of dental floss and carefully work it between the foam and backboard…not the big. Sometimes easier with two people-one on each side.

Thanks! I’ve had this game for over 20 years and have never been to replace bulbs.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Thanks! I’ve had this game for over 20 years and have never been to replace bulbs.

Sure thing. Hope it works for you. In my original post it should be bg(backglass) not big. Good luck and enjoy!

Quoted from Pinslot:

#14 2 years ago

Thanks again

#15 2 years ago

You bet. Were you able to ‘free’ it? (hopefully!)

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Every game I have has that old deteriorated foam on the back. Never have seen it affect the paint like that.

I have had a few Gottliebs that happened on, all late 60's to mid 70's.

#17 2 years ago

This is all too common. Not much can be done about the discoloration, but it often in an opaque area. On a less than perfect glass, you could scratch out the faded area, and repaint with the original color. Being that it's opaque, it would be hardly detectable from the front. Then, use felt or thin cork pads to cushion the backglass.

#18 2 years ago

I use the felt tape linked below from WoodCraft. It is thinner than the loop side of velcro and causes less chance for an overly tight fit. I've found it to be just about perfect for reapplying felt padding to the head board on Gottlieb games.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/felt-tape-brown-3-4-x-25

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-backglass-black-foam-pad-residue-blues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.