Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DaMoib
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Having an issue with gottlieb Atlantis. Game starts up, motor starts running, when you press start button ball gets kicked out, but the motor keeps running and seems like it's cycling power. No other coils work.

The game was working 100% at my friends place, but once transported to me (half hour drive) it developed this issue. I check and reseated all connectors, dint see anything out of the ordinary and just can't seem to find what's going on with it.

I made a video for you wizards to see the problem in action.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

A Pinside Quiz???... You'll need to check what switches send power to the score motor. Do you have the schematic for the machine? Look for the score motor icon on the schematic and follow the line to the right that will meet up with 5 or 6 switches. You'll need to check these primary switches to see if they are adjusted properly... Some simple things to check: make sure the coin door switches are not stuck in the closed position; check to see if all the score reel switches are in the zero position; check the ball count unit to see if it's resetting...

#3 7 years ago

is it trying to kick the ball? check hole switch. and for anything on the pf to work ball count needs to move to "ball 1" via trough switch

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

is it trying to kick the ball? check hole switch. and for anything on the pf to work ball count needs to move to "ball 1" via trough switch

Ball kicks out fine, you can see in the video

#5 7 years ago

One of the relays listed in schematic at the score motor circuit is grounding the score motor. It could be the 1c switch on the motor itself. If not check why any relay listed is locked on, then find out why. Make sure reset relay is locked, if not figure out why. If no relays are energized (one listed with score motor switches) check them for a misaligned switch on one of them.

4 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

Problem update.

In short: score motor still running non-stop

Long:

So I have checked (with help as well) every switch on the score motor stacks. And every relay. They all seem OK, and act in accordance to normal procedure.

Startup sequence is good. Game resets, scores go to 0 and Ball kicks out, hits secondary switch and ball count moves to 1. All high power works, all GI works, and everything seems OK,

BUT..,

Score motor still runs, and power pulses (as you see in video). Scoring registers only when power pulses on (pop bumpers light up).

So. Game resets and starts up fine, scoring is fine, ball counts fine from 1 through 5 and game over.

Just can't get the motor to stop. I am assuming the pulse is due to the motor moving rather than staying static and opening/closing a switch that controls that power source.

So frustrated.

#8 7 years ago

First, check the motor 1C switch stack to see if the motor runout switch is staying closed all the time. The motor runout switch is the one closest to the cam. Also check the switch solder lugs to see if they are mashed over and touching, and check to see if a wire has detached at the switch solder lugs and the loose wire end is touching the other lug.

If the runout switch at the motor 1C switch stack is opening as it should when the motor cam is in the home position, next you'll need to look at the schematic to see which relays have a switch on them that runs the motor. Check each relay to see if a motor run switch is always making contact. Adjust the switch so that it opens when the relay is not energized, and the score motor should stop running.

As always, it's good to tighten down the screws on the score motor and/or relay switch stacks before making any switch blade adjustments.

- TimMe

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

First, check the motor 1C switch stack to see if the motor runout switch is staying closed all the time. The motor runout switch is the one closest to the cam. Also check the switch solder lugs to see if they are mashed over and touching, and check to see if a wire has detached at the switch solder lugs and the loose wire end is touching the other lug.
If the runout switch at the motor 1C switch stack is opening as it should when the motor cam is in the home position, next you'll need to look at the schematic to see which relays have a switch on them that runs the motor. Check each relay to see if a motor run switch is always making contact. Adjust the switch so that it opens when the relay is not energized, and the score motor should stop running.
As always, it's good to tighten down the screws on the score motor and/or relay switch stacks before making any switch blade adjustments.
- TimMe

Checked the screws yesterday, and went through every switch on each stack with the hell of a fellow pinsider. Everything opened and closed as it should.

#10 7 years ago

I've seen this exact same behavior when one of the score reel zero position switches looks closed but is not making good contact.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

I've seen this exact same behavior when one of the score reel zero position switches looks closed but is not making good contact.

Will check those tomorrow.

On recommendations of friends, have gone through other options, including coin door, playfield and rechecking score motor.

Just want to figure this out already

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

If that were the case on this machine, then the RESET COMPLETED relay would be latched, and the score motor switch on that relay would be the reason that the motor is running. However, Meegis says he has already checked the relay switches related to running the score motor, and they are all open.

- TimMe

#13 7 years ago

I'm trying to think back a few months, I believe my Atlantis was doing the same type thing. My issue was caused by the "reset completed relay" down on the motor board. It had gotten out of adjustment somehow and it would not release. I adjusted the amount of friction on the plate and fixed it. This works sort of like a game over relay.

#14 7 years ago

Thinking a bit more about it, I actually adjusted it so that the armature plate was closer to the end so that it would trip easier. It had nothing to do with the switches but the movement of the armature. Sorry if I'm being too confusing....Hopefully your Atlantis working. Great game!

2 years later
#15 4 years ago

I saw this topic anyone that can help with my atlantis is having a problem with it shutting off halfway thru the game. Lighrs all stay on but one second theyll be no sound or points scoring and then the next second it hits another target or something and it comes back to life. Was told that it is a fouled up 1c on the score motor. Can anyone tell me please where 1c is located and how to adjust it

#16 4 years ago

A Google search of pinside for "motor 1C switch" yields this thread in which MarkG gives a nice guided tour of a Gottlieb score motor, its documentation, and switch 1C:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-motor-stops-just-short-of-normal-stop

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-startup-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.