Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by hlaj78
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Well, what started out as a weekend project ended up being a full cabinet repaint, repro backglass, polish and replacement of steel parts, and a bunch of hours!!

Just got it done and working yesterday!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31395330@N07/sets/72157631829604749/

#2 11 years ago

very nice!

How did you do the stencils?

#3 11 years ago

Wow! It looks like it just got uncrated from the factory. Excellent! Two thumbs up.

#4 11 years ago

Speechless.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

very nice!
How did you do the stencils?

I used the "This Old Game" stencils. I must say, the stencils were great. They seem a bit pricey at first, but once you have them in hand, you realize how much time you are saving.

Basically, they are thick Mylar and perfectly measured to cover the surface you are painting (with exception to the front of the cabinet and head. It helps to have another person to help since they are quite large. Basically, you peel the paper side back, lay the stencil flat and use some type of rubber tool to press them into place. I used a Bondo applicator. Once applied, you need to carefully pull off the thin backing and mask off the any other areas that might get hit with overspray. I pulled the stencils off about 10 minutes after laying down the paint.

The colors are Krylon Burgandy Satin and Rustoleum SeaSide Green Satin. The Burgandy took a few coats, while the green went on in one thick coat. The base cabinet was painted using Rustoleum Heirloom Satin White and is pretty darn close to that off-white, yelllowish hue from Gottlieb. I used a speckle brush with Mars Black acrylic paint for the speckle work.

The cabinet was the largest challenge. I used a combination of a DA sander and a high speed rotary sander. Had to use some Bondo and general wood filler. I primed it with Rustoleum Automotive primer.

#6 11 years ago

I just added some shots with the stencils on as well as during a stencil paint section.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Well, what started out as a weekend project ended up being a full cabinet repaint, repro backglass, polish and replacement of steel parts, and a bunch of hours!!

Yes, I'm sure 100+ hours went into this machine.

Great Job all around!

Atlantis is on my wish list as well.

Have Fun!

Ken

#8 11 years ago

Unbelievable.

We had a local tourney here in Dallas recently on an Atlantis. Awesome awesome EM, and mean as nails.

#9 11 years ago

That's a great looking restore. Beautiful job!

#10 11 years ago

Is that my old Atlantis?
Howie

#11 11 years ago

Very nice... Thanks for sharing.

#12 11 years ago

Oustanding!! Seeing that beautiful white cabinet makes me question my decision to leave mine with its time earned yellowish patina.

Beautiful restoration. Excellent job!

Marcus

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Is that my old Atlantis?
Howie

Howie, yes it is! Sorry about removing the fish stickers!

#14 11 years ago

Excellent work

#15 11 years ago

Wasn't the old backglass in excellent shape? I can't wait to see the old girl. How's the bottom of the cabinet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.