Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180317_104729 (resized).jpg
20180317_034802 (resized).jpg
20180310_123204 (resized).jpg
20180310_123215 (resized).jpg
20180310_123229 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ed150.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hey everybody,
I'm a noob to Pinside. If anybody out there can help, it would be awesome!
So I just picked up a Gottlieb Atlantis Pinball. It has some issues. When you first turn the game on, the "Tilt" light comes on, with a few other wedge head lights. If I hit the start game relay, the playfield comes to life. I coin up, it's ready..and nothing. Flippers won't move, pop bumpers etc. It just won't engage. Scoring reel is on zero.
Anybody have any ideas? I'm new to EM pins. Super excited about this pin. Traded for a Taito Grand Champion arcade also, I'm super excited to be a member of Pinside

20180310_123229 (resized).jpg20180310_123229 (resized).jpg

20180310_123215 (resized).jpg20180310_123215 (resized).jpg

20180310_123204 (resized).jpg20180310_123204 (resized).jpg

20180317_034802 (resized).jpg20180317_034802 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Thank you guys for your help. So in a nutshell, I power on the pin and all that happens is the tilt light comes on with a few back box lights. If I manually hit the start relay, the playfield comes alive with lights and resets the score. Then I coin up, the game acknowledges it, but the ball return won't kick and none of the flippers, drop targets or anything will work. Just lights. I do have the schematics for the game. I'll post asap. Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting this baby rolling! I've attached a pic of the start relay I hit to get the game going

20180317_104729 (resized).jpg20180317_104729 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

You're right. I got it to work leaving the ball in the kick out. It'll play a couple of times with chimes, but then the chimes go away, but the flippers keep working, pop bumpers etc. Game won't end. Also credit reel is blank now and won't move. I'm trying . I was referring to the coin mechs earlier. I would coin it up and and it would give it a credit but wouldn't work. Sorry for the confusion.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Chimes are a function of the individual point relays. The 10, 100 and 1000 point relays all have switches that power the chimes. But since they are working them stop, I suspect you have another common chime issue.
Usually they used beer seal on the bottom of the chime unit for the plungers to drop onto, so you don't get a clunk when the plungers return to rest. Those plungers warm up during play, and they can easily pick up gunk from the beer seal and the plunger ends up either stuck on the beer seal or stuck in the coil sleeve. You'll need to take the chime unit apart to see what is going on there, but since it works for a few games and then stops, I suspect that as the plungers heat up, they're sticking.
As for your credit unit, you're saying that it will not step up for coins being deposited, high score replays, special replays, or matches? If so, the first place to look is your max credit switch on the unit itself. There is a peg on the gear of the credit unit that will open a switch at 0 to not allow the start button to work, and also a separate peg on the gear that opens at switch, normally at 15, to keep more credits from being added to the credit unit. If the max credit switch is open you'll never be able to add credits to the game.
Is the credit reel at 0 or totally blank. Gottlieb games do not go blank (Williams games do) but should have a 0 showing with no credits left. If you're truly at blank, your reel is out of alignment. You need to get it set so it is at 0, and the 0 position switch is open, max credit switch closed. Then if you want to have free play, either jumper the 0 position switch closed, or just bend the switch permanently closed.
Is the ball in play unit stepping up properly? The unit is in the head and at reset the shoe will be off the rivets. Each time the ball crosses the trough switch it should step once. On ball five, when the outhole is made, it will step to the sixth rivet position and open a switch which kills power to the playfield and ends the game. I suspect your ball count unit is out of adjustment.
Let us know on any progress.

Thank you so much for the help.
Chimes - so after a couple of games, the chimes stop, but I also realized the score reel wasn't moving anymore after that. However, you could still engage pop plumbers, etc..
Credit reel- has the 2 pegs like you said. It will go to zero, but is out of adj, but it dosent seem to matter how many credits it has, it will only play 2 games.
Stepper unit- stays at 2 and won't reset.

With all of that being said, it won't start on it's own. Have to hit the start relay to get it going.
I looked at the stepper unit...idk what I did, but the start button on the coin door actually started a game. After that once, it didn't do it again lol.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I think you misunderstood. The steppers have to work properly. There's no ifs or buts about that. If they don't, the game is never going to function properly.
I'm not advocating tearing them completely apart, but you're going to have to do some work on them if you want your game to work. There's just no way around it. There's a lot of games out there that don't work because the steppers have hardened up grease in the gear, or the rivets are all gunked up and won't function properly.
Will the game play, to a point, if you don't get them working fully? Yes. Will it function 100 percent if they don't? No.
The main problem I've seen from beginners on here is that they start out with games that are more complex, meaning, multiplayers. There's just more to a multiplayer than a single player game. And because they made a ton of them, a lot of them start off with a Grand Prix, which can be a daunting game even for someone with experience. There's a lot of them still around and as such they're more available, and people buy them not understanding exactly what they're getting into.
I understand your idea to fix one problem at a time and it's not bad advice, but there's times when problems are interrelated and it's pretty hard to do.

You guys are both right HowardR I agree completely. I repair and restore arcade games. Not an expert, but getting better everyday. Practice makes perfect. I have a Spy Hunter pin I'm learning to work on too. I picked up the Atlantis to learn how to work on EM's and specifically cause it is a 1 player game and less moving parts. I will keep you guys updated on my progress. I'm going to have a ton of questions I'm sure. Thanks to everybody that's left a comment on advice. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to returning the favor to somebody else one day. You guys rock!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ed150.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-game-start-problems?tu=Ed150 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.