17028631903508968194215718141672 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20231118_163302_resized (resized).jpg
ACD_Playfield (Before)_08 (resized).JPG
ACD_Playfield (Before)_13 (resized).JPG
Abra Plastic #A-15958 (resized).jpg
Atlantis Curved Plastic (resized).jpg
arch (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

For the sling/chime issue, are you saying that the leaf switch circled below is what causes the scoring and the chimes? I will take a look to make sure it works.
For the flippers, i will clean the switch contacts, but can someone confirm that the left flipper mounting bracket is in fact different (shorter by 1/2") than the right one and that flipper travel is shorter on the left side. Also, what is the part number for the left mounting bracket?
Thx

Not exactly. That switch causes the associated relay to pull in, and that causes the scoring and the chime to ring. That switch goes directly to that relay (in this case, 10 point relay). But if that switch doesn't make, the relay won't pull in.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

No score for hitting lower slings, score is awarded for hitting upper sling.

What upper sling? Atlantis only has two. If you're referring to the rubber to the right of the upper rollovers, that's not a sling, it's just a rubber with a switch behind it.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sorrry, i was referring to the upper rubber with the switch behind it. When hit, it registers 10 points and chimes. Does this imply that the 10 pt relay is ok and that switches by the lower slings could be the issue?
Is the switch behind the drop targets supposed to score points and chime when the rubber is hit?

Yes. If the 10 point reel is scoring on ANY 10 point switch and the 10 point chime is working on ANY 10 point switch, then it's not the relay and almost certainly the switch that makes when the sling arm operates is the culprit here.

Any switch on the playfield should score. That's what it is there for. So if it's not scoring, either it needs cleaning/adjusting or you have a broken off wire somewhere.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

Not that I really want to know, but I am curious as to what one of these sells for these days. Back when I was about 12 years old, I paid $150 of my own money and bought a Gottlieb Atlantis. Kept it for several years before selling it when I went to college. That was over 25 years ago.

A really nice original or a restored one can go for upwards of $1500. It's a so called A list game and it brings a premium.

#56 7 years ago

Hold on a sec, if the switches were closed, they would cause the 10 point relay to lock on and you'd get no 10 point scoring at all, but you said the upper rubber was scoring. Plus, if those were closed, you'd hear the relay locked on and you'd eventually burn up the coil. Something isn't right.

As for pricing, my game has a very nice original glass in it, a pretty nice original playfield, but I've got a Wade replacement. New plastics and the NOS posts from boilerman. Rebuilt flippers and bumpers. The fish on the side have a bit of leprosy on them (touched up) and the cab has a few bumps and bruises, but not a ton. My plan is to repaint the cab, install the Wade playfield, put a new coin door on it, and probably new legs. If someone offers me $3000 after all that, I probably still wouldn't take it. It's that good a game, and I looked for a long time for it. Out of all my games, the only one that is its equal, maybe even better, is Jacks Open. Those two are two of the best wedgeheads ever made.

#59 7 years ago

Well, I guess we'll just say glad it's all working. Don't know what was going on there because a closed switch is pretty obvious right off the bat.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

The upper right rubber, that could have been mistaken for a slingshot, should score 500 points.

D'oh. Mike's right and I'm an idiot. The upper rubber does score 500, I just clean forgot, haven't played the game for a few days and getting old, I guess. So a closed switch on a 10 point score would cause what you described, but I'm still mystified how you didn't hear the relay locked on, and how you didn't burn up the 10 point relay.

In any case, glad that's fixed.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

My gawd Vic, you find some of the nicest games.

He lives in the Pinball Land O' Plenty. Not out here in the middle of the country where too many games got stored in barns.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What goes in these holes and why are they there? Ive seen them on other atlantis games as well as mine. Thinking i want to fill them in and touch them up.

That would be incorrect. Pins go in those holes above the wireforms in the bagatelle.

GTB-A10542+

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I bought my first pin a Ks&Qs out of a barn in rural Saskatchewan

Nice drive, huh?

#79 7 years ago

Man, I'll tell you, yellow dots on this game would really scare me, because some of those drops are really close to the flippers. Closer than just about any drops out there on any other game.

I rebuilt my flippers on my Atlantis like I normally do and they are plenty powerful with the standard coil and normal tap. The 5000 isn't so much a matter of power as it is accuracy in shooting to hit both targets at once. And to be honest, some luck. With the open inlane you have to be careful trapping and shooting that shot.

1 week later
#89 7 years ago

This game simply doesn't need yellow dots. It's complete overkill.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

No rush, thx. My newer style flippers just lack strength, eos are adjusted fine, but cant hit ball well off the tips. Was talking to tech at silverball and he suggested the old style are better and new style do lack strentgh on games like atlantis. Not much experience on this, but mine clearly arent where i want them to be so im going to original.
How can the new style be on sample games if they came out much later? Was atlantis a test case for the new style? Why did they decide to use the old style in subsequent production?

No flipper is going to hit the ball well off the tips. That's just the way it is.

The new style linear flippers have plenty of strength to them, assuming they're rebuilt properly and adjusted properly. It's not anything to do with Atlantis.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

There are three lugs on the coil. Which is high and low?

The outside lug with the biggest wire is the high power side. The other is the low power side. The center lug will have both. The wires for the EOS will go to the center and smaller wire lugs. Main solenoid power goes to the high power side. The line from the center tap (the flipper button switch) goes to the low power side, along with a wire for the EOS.

Bigger wire + fewer wire turns = less resistance (and more power)

Smaller wire + more wire turns = more resistance (and less power).

#107 7 years ago

Just realize that an EM isn't a SS/DMD and it will never play like one. Atlantis is AC all the way, so it's going to play slower and with less power than a SS/DMD, or an EM that has rectified DC power.

#109 7 years ago

You can get them to play better, but they'll never play as fast as a SS/DMD game, unless you convert them to DC power. They only have 25v of power to the coils and being AC, it will never have the pop a DC game has.

Bally (and Williams) used 50v at varying times, and they play fast, but still not like a modern game.

The game you played also might have been high tapped.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Now that you mention it, i think it was high tapped. Something about reconfiguring wiring at the transformer. Is that what you mean by high tapped?

Yes.

1 week later
#123 7 years ago

I've seen games with 99k on the meter that look new, and games with 38k on them that are rough (and I own one of those).

The meter is nothing more than the number of times the game has been reset. It tells you that and really nothing else.

1 month later
#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

My two originals are nice. Not perfect but neither needs replacement.
Is Atlantis one of the rare backglasses that don't detoriate over time?

Mine is nearly perfect, just had to do a tiny touchup on the two fish right above the score reels. Except for a Bally Odds and Evens that I had, which was basically perfect except for one small scratch, this is the nicest original glass I've ever had. And much like Atlantis, the backglass on Odds and Evens was mostly green.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-clubswim-right-in?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.