Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 139 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C6526B5F-855F-41B7-BE68-E7F39B896572 (resized).jpeg
04734FAA-0F27-4FA2-8CAD-EC72E420149E (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
20180420_101638_resized (resized).jpg
C89F7E7F-4519-4B54-B6FB-B458105261EB (resized).jpeg
IMG_4064 (resized).JPG
IMG_7152 (resized).JPG
IMG_7561 (resized).JPG
IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
IMG_1066 (resized).jpg
combo (resized).jpg
combo (resized).jpg
20180225_183724 (resized).jpg
20180225_183733 (resized).jpg
20180225_184306 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

before you change them try this:
if the EOS switches are pitted the will effect the power on the high winding. I would pull the eos switch off and use a metal file on them. get the smooth and flat. put them back on and adjust them so the open just a hair when the bat is at full stroke. also take an OHM reading on the high and low winding of each coil. see if that might be an issue too.
I will get you pics tonight

There are three lugs on the coil. Whichbis higj and low?

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

if the EOS switches are pitted the will effect the power on the high winding. I would pull the eos switch off and use a metal file on them. get the smooth and flat. put them back on and adjust them so the open just a hair when the bat is at full stroke. also take an OHM reading on the high and low winding of each coil. see if that might be an issue too.

There are three lugs on the coil. Which is high and low?

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

usually anything below 2 ohms is a bad coil. Just put your DMM set to ohms and put the DMM leads on the lugs of a coil. This will give you the resistance. Three lug coils are a bit more involved to check, as they are two coils in one package. But usually the middle lug is "common" and the outside lugs can be checked. (Note on a 3 lug flipper coil the EOS switch needs to have a piece of paper between the switch contacts to get a good flipper coil resistance measurement.)

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

No flipper is going to hit the ball well off the tips. That's just the way it is.
The new style linear flippers have plenty of strength to them, assuming they're rebuilt properly and adjusted properly. It's not anything to do with Atlantis.

+1 here.

The new mech is more robust than and just as powerful as the old set up.

Properly rebuilt they should be just fine. And being you have a sample game I would be more motivated to keep them in it.

Boilerman's recommendation on the EOS switch points is a must on this style flipper. Be sure to get them nice and flat so you are getting solid contact.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The outside lug with the biggest wire is the high power side. The other is the low power side. The center lug will have both. The wires for the EOS will go to the center and smaller wire lugs. Main solenoid power goes to the high power side. The line from the center tap (the flipper button switch) goes to the low power side, along with a wire for the EOS.

Bigger wire + fewer wire turns = less resistance (and more power)

Smaller wire + more wire turns = more resistance (and less power).

#106 2 years ago

Thanks guys, will take a few measurements and revisit the eos gaps.

#107 2 years ago

Just realize that an EM isn't a SS/DMD and it will never play like one. Atlantis is AC all the way, so it's going to play slower and with less power than a SS/DMD, or an EM that has rectified DC power.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Just realize that an EM isn't a SS/DMD and it will never play like one. Atlantis is AC all the way, so it's going to play slower and with less power than a SS/DMD, or an EM that has rectified DC power.

I realize that, but the atlantis i played over the weekend played like a modern game, which means i have some work to do to get mine there too. Mine is definitely not terrible, but i want it better.

#109 2 years ago

You can get them to play better, but they'll never play as fast as a SS/DMD game, unless you convert them to DC power. They only have 25v of power to the coils and being AC, it will never have the pop a DC game has.

Bally (and Williams) used 50v at varying times, and they play fast, but still not like a modern game.

The game you played also might have been high tapped.

#110 2 years ago

Now that you mention it, i think it was high tapped. Something about reconfiguring wiring at the transformer. Is that what you mean by high tapped?

#111 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Now that you mention it, i think it was high tapped. Something about reconfiguring wiring at the transformer. Is that what you mean by high tapped?

Yes.

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Still looking for pics of the original flipper set up. Thx

See my pic in post #52

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from sysprog:

See my pic in post #52

Thx for pointing it out, that's exactly what I need.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I'm getting about 6.5 on one lug and 2.5 on the other lug. Eos gap appears to be pretty narrow at full stroke. Still not great power on the left flipper. Right side is good. I notice the plunger doesn't go into the coil as much as the weak side, hitting the stop sooner. would that cause a weaker flipper?

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'm getting about 6.5 on one lug and 2.5 on the other lug. Eos gap appears to be pretty narrow at full stroke. Still not great power on the left flipper. Right side is good. I notice the plunger doesn't go into the coil as much as the weak side, hitting the stop sooner. would that cause a weaker flipper?

did you replace the coil sleeves and coil stops? that will make a world of differece

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Here's the finished game, its come a long way! I ordered the wrong color leds, they are natural white, which is cooler than i wanted...wanted warm white. Oh well. One of these days ill replace them.

I now have screen burn in and eyeball burn in.

#117 2 years ago

I think i fixed my flipper problem. It was the eos switch. There are four blades on the switch and they were not in sync, pening/closing improperly. I spent about 10 mins staring at the good flipper eos switch and compared it to the weak one and finally could see differences. The two middle ones were opeing mid stroke, which would account for the power loss and then the bottom one and top one were both open at a point during the stroke, again accounting for loss of power. Its very hard to see as my eyes arent what they used to be, but there is a significant improvement now.

#118 2 years ago

Getting a delivery sometime tomorrow afternoon, hope it is as expected.

#119 2 years ago

This is my newest machine. Very happy and this won't be leaving. Looks like all I need to do is adjust flippers to correct position, change game from 3 to 5 balls per game and some minor polishing of chrome. It has 63313 on the meter which surprised me but figure it has always been a three ball game which would run the meter up a bit.

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#120 2 years ago

I was lucky enough to get a basement find Atlantis, I was the first caller when it went up for sale. A guy had it for 25 years I think. It is/was in great shape. By far my favorite pin. Someone on this forum advised me to record the number on the counter when I first bought it so that I could keep track of the number of games I play on it. It was a great idea. It's unbelievable how many times you keep starting a new game after one has ended. The Atlantis is my number 1 go to game, it never gets old.

#121 2 years ago

What's your meter readings?

#122 2 years ago

What is considered low on a play meter? This nice Atlantis with 63k seems high for being this nice.

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#123 2 years ago

I've seen games with 99k on the meter that look new, and games with 38k on them that are rough (and I own one of those).

The meter is nothing more than the number of times the game has been reset. It tells you that and really nothing else.

#124 2 years ago

Great condition on an EM game is a testament to the attention and discipline of the operates then and how they took care of their games.

#125 2 years ago

After many months of casual play I finally rolled over (with it set on 5 ball) my beloved Atlantis. I was so damn nervous on that last ball as I just made it by 1,230

IMG_1266 (resized).JPG

#126 2 years ago

Nice looking machine!

#127 2 years ago

Love that tropical plant near it

#128 2 years ago

Im all about the SPECIALs on this game.

#129 2 years ago

Gents
I joined last Friday..... playmeter at 32000. The playfield is smooth as butter with some serious ball swirls as the previous owner didn't know how to even open up the playfield..... for 15 years. I cleaned it with Simple Green but now need further help. I was told to wipe down with Naptha.... what do you suggest? I want to avoid magic eraser as I don't intend to clearcoat later on. I am new to all of this.
Thanks!

IMG_4843 (resized).JPG

IMG_4845 (resized).JPG

IMG_4844 (resized).JPG

IMG_4847 (resized).JPG

IMG_4846 (resized).JPG

IMG_4850 (resized).JPG

#130 2 years ago

I've taken swirls like that out completely with CAREFUL use of magic eraser and 99% rubbing alcohol ... I don't clear coat my machines - just good waxing

Welcome to the club!

Not sure if naphtha will help w the swirls?

#131 2 years ago

Backglass looks great. I would just clean the playfield with novus 2 very carefully, wax, and play it. Be VERY careful with magic eraser/alcohol. It only takes a second to really mess things up. If you have lots of $$$ just get a repro playfield now, and play the heck out of the original. Atlantis is one of the best EMs ever.

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from Riles:

If you have lots of $$$ just get a repro playfield

From what I heard there are no more reproduction playfields available, sold out.

#133 2 years ago

I'll be selling (or trading for an SS pin or a vid) a working project Atlantis soon, in case anyone in the New England area is interested.

#134 2 years ago

Gents
I am fairly new to the hobby with only a Sing Along to my collection and trying to get acquainted with my Atlantis. I cannot get the score reels to reset to zero. When I bought it last week, the owner showed me that you had to hit the start button a second time to get them to reset. Now, they simply keep turning over. I also get continual games! I turned it off and simply drained five balls ..... Keeps kicking them out after 5.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kris

#135 2 years ago

Mr Budman,
This is a good place to get info: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair
Also search rec.games.pinball at google groups.
In my experience, spinning score reels are often due to the switches on one of the score reels, though often the one to the right/left of the spinning one (it hasn't told the other reel that it has reset itself to zero, or something like that). Dont go crazy bending switches all over the place. Familiarize yourself with their action, go slow and make only slight adjustments and or clean by holding the switch contact closed and pulling fine sandpaper through, then blow out residual dust.
Good luck.

#136 2 years ago

Thanks!
I got the reels to reset to zero.

2 weeks later
#138 2 years ago

Here's mine. My favorite wedgehead and in the top 1-3 players of the pins I've owned/played. 65k plays on this original game. Just a few small cab blemishes but otherwise a beautiful survivor. One of the 'twins' pictured on IPDB.

*and I've never rolled the reels. 99610 with 9 credits won was my best game. My only pin I haven't beat!! My replays are set at 65k, 79k and 87k, and one replay won is rare for me.

IMG_1953 (resized).JPG
IMG_1957 (resized).JPG
IMG_1956 (resized).JPG
IMG_1958 (resized).JPG

#139 2 years ago

I took a chance and had one shipped from Winnipeg to Vancouver based on two pictures. The back and play field glasses are great but the play field and cabinet are poor. Too bad that Wade Krause could only make 30 play fields, they look awesome and they are sold out. This is going to be the biggest restoration I've ever taken on including re-gluing and re-painting the cabinet, which reluctantly I'm going to have to do.
As an aside I remember playing Lawman when I was a teenager. I also like that game a lot and I know someone who has one.

One more aside: That Cubs win was fantastic last night.... what a ball game. I also have a really nice Chicago Cubs Triple Play. It is sad what Gottlieb had become by the time that game came out, but the back glass is very nice.

Great info from the comments on this. I've loved pinball since I was a teenager in the 70's..sites like this are excellent!

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from Heatbag:

I took a chance and had one shipped from Winnipeg to Vancouver based on two pictures. The back and play field glasses are great but the play field and cabinet are poor. Too bad that Wade Krause could only make 30 play fields, they look awesome and they are sold out.

Well I know of a couple stashed away for a rainy day. Unfortunately with the Candaian exchange rate and paying a premium can make it very expensive for you. (Im sitting on 2 WK Ks&Qs pfs )

Ken

#141 2 years ago

Got my sample backglass from BGResto today, really awesome job they did, looks perfect and I can finally see my credit wheel!

20161105_170608 (resized).jpg

#142 2 years ago

My two originals are nice. Not perfect but neither needs replacement.

Is Atlantis one of the rare backglasses that don't detoriate over time?

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I would suggest yes, Atlantis seems to have held up pretty well. Royal Flush on the other had one of the worst. Ive also got a Kings&Queens original that is flawless. Really comes down to how they were stored/temperature cycled or not.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I would suggest yes, Atlantis seems to have held up pretty well. Royal Flush on the other had one of the worst. Ive also got a Kings&Queens original that is flawless. Really comes down to how they were stored/temperature cycled or not.

games with reds tend to fair far worse than others, but ken is right storage play into it. also where they were routed. if they were on for many many hours at a time. the bulb heat would speed delaminating of the paint from the glass

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Got my sample backglass from BGResto today, really awesome job they did, looks perfect and I can finally see my credit wheel!

Nice. I have a sample game also and bought a Ron Webb repro before I realised it was a sample, so my credit wheel is obscured. Didn't know Steve did sample BGs for Atlantis. Might have to swap it out as it does annoy me a bit. The original glass was a mess.

#146 2 years ago

What's with all the sample Atlantis'?

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

What's with all the sample Atlantis'?

i never saw one in 20 yrs of collecting and going to shows. with it being a good title you would thing more samples would of survived.
now it looks like a few are coming to the surface........

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Mine is nearly perfect, just had to do a tiny touchup on the two fish right above the score reels. Except for a Bally Odds and Evens that I had, which was basically perfect except for one small scratch, this is the nicest original glass I've ever had. And much like Atlantis, the backglass on Odds and Evens was mostly green.

1 year later
#149 1 year ago

Not much love for dear old Atlantis recently...

One thing I've done is get a repro sample BG from Steve. So much better! I now have a perfect Ron Webb BG to hang on a wall I guess..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Farmville, VA
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
Lighting - Interactive
TheDudeMods
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 13.00
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Haus
$ 149.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 84.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside