(Topic ID: 163600)

Gottlieb Atlantis cabinet rebuild materials?

By Noobee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

321107-i_zps4920998a-2_(resized).jpg
320760-i_zps5d1cbf07-2_(resized).jpg
MDO-A_(resized).jpg
13321688_545059392340456_2076078485428532721_n_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I just picked up an Atlantis with a termite decimated cabinet. It is definitely beyond repair. Can anyone tell me the type of plywood (and other types of wood) I should use to build a new cabinet?

The backglass and playfield are in decent shape, and all electronics seem to be there, which is why I bought it. I can handle all other aspects of the restoration, but have no experience with rebuilding cabinets. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

#2 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

This might be a good start.

There's a nice thread from EM-Pinman on a Gulf Stream machine that he replaced the bottom of.

Hope that helps!

#3 7 years ago

Basically, 3/4" maple or birch plwd for box, 1/2" for cab bottom.. Don't use mdf.... doesn't hold fasteners, and is terrible with ANY moisture. Show pics of damage, as may be possible to repair.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Basically, 3/4" maple or birch plwd for box, 1/2" for cab bottom.. Don't use mdf.... doesn't hold fasteners, and is terrible with ANY moisture. Show pics of damage, as may be possible to repair.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, no need for pics right now. The cabinet is totally shot. I may be able to save the back box though.

1/2 inch for cabinet bottom seems too thick. In my experience, that bottom panel is 1/4 inch at most, no?

#5 7 years ago

So, the game is still in my car as I picked it up along the way on vacation. But, on second thought, here are a couple of pics...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

Too bad you didnt live closer to Texas (Dallas), we have a local craftsman that can make you one...

13321688_545059392340456_2076078485428532721_n_(resized).jpg13321688_545059392340456_2076078485428532721_n_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

That is beautiful! What would that cost?

#8 7 years ago

I think it was $500... but shipping/painting would make it pricy. For $700 I'll find a doner cab and paint it for you Shipping $350?

#9 7 years ago

Do you really think that is termite damage? It looks like water, but if it really was termites, no way in hell would that go into my house.

Anyway, the damage is so extensive, you would probably be ahead of the game just finding a different cabinet and repainting it.

#10 7 years ago

Replace the bottom and the back for $50. HD sells 9 ply birch for the back+neck and Hardboard for the bottom

back side
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-corner-destroyed#post-3172864

#11 7 years ago

My Atlantis was totally termite damaged when it arrived from Florida. I gutted the cabinet and tossed it out the day after it arrived. I found a donor cabinet (an old Sky Jump) and did a full repaint using stencils from Pinball Pimp. Turned out great. I'd go that route if another collector in your area can sell or give you a donor cabinet.

See my Atlantis restoration thread for lots of pics of my repaint and restoration.

#12 7 years ago

Yep, don't mess around with termites, even if it looks like it was an old infestation get it fumigated or throw it out before they get to your house and the rest of your games and ruin them.

#13 7 years ago

Good points all. Will probably search for a donor cabinet first. Anyone in the Detroit area have one to spare?

#14 7 years ago

The best plywood for building cabs from scratch is MDO Plywood. Medium Density Overlay Plywood.

It's real plywood, so it glues and holds screws perfectly.

But it has a thin venier of MDF on both faces, that is usually pre-primed.

The MDF is perfectly flat. No filling, no sanding, no graining, no telegraphing and usually no priming is needed.

This saves you about 8 hours of prep time, and gives you a flatter cab than you could sand by hand.

Williams used this stuff on it's latter games that had super detailed silkscreened graphics.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/industrial-panels/mdf-mdo-panels/roseburg-3-4-x-4-x-8-mdo-plywood/p-1444452506069-c-13338.htm?tid=8840372650345142831

MDO-A_(resized).jpgMDO-A_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Vid, that MDO looks great. I was worried about plywood quality after reading up on it. Any idea how heavy it is compared yo the original material used?

I also notice that on a lot of games they used particle broad for the back panel. Any thoughts on using that to keep it "original" or using plywood instead?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Any thoughts on using that to keep it "original" or using plywood instead?

If it was me, I would consider the rear panel in plywood an up grade. some other Em guys on here, have stated that it would very acceptable to them.

Gottlieb must of had a reason to use the particle board rear panel. Either for testing the material, cheaper than plywood? Guess we will never know.

#18 7 years ago

Here is a restoration - nice p/f.

Not a fan of the cabinet on this one…….

ebay.com link: 1975 D Gottlieb ATLANTIS PINBALL MACHINE Restored from the ground up

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

that MDO looks great. I was worried about plywood quality after reading up on it. Any idea how heavy it is compared yo the original material used?

It's about the same. The manufacturer says it's 1/4lb lighter than a normal sheet of 3/4" plywood, so you will never notice the difference.

Quoted from Noobee:

I also notice that on a lot of games they used particle broad for the back panel. Any thoughts on using that to keep it "original" or using plywood instead?

I always replace damaged particle board with plywood.

The manufacturers tried to save any penny they could. Near the end, Bally even made all particle board cabs, and the ops hated them.

But particle board crumbles and is 2x as heavy as regular plywood.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Vid, that MDO looks great. I was worried about plywood quality after reading up on it. Any idea how heavy it is compared yo the original material used?

Yeah.

Don't.

If you have a game that has a particle board back panel (I have one with Abra Ca Dabra) you'll hate it. It sucks. Crumbly, easily damaged, you name it.

#21 7 years ago

Decimated..? Like this...? Before I owned my Atlantis it was involved in a serious accident. It was put back together and plays perfectly well now, but I am looking forward to a new PF when Wade is done (real soon now!)

320760-i_zps5d1cbf07-2_(resized).jpg320760-i_zps5d1cbf07-2_(resized).jpg

321107-i_zps4920998a-2_(resized).jpg321107-i_zps4920998a-2_(resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Here is a restoration - nice p/f.
Not a fan of the cabinet on this one…….
ebay.com link » 1975 D Gottlieb Atlantis Pinball Machine Restored From The Ground Up

Just a little off on the colors

#23 7 years ago

Since you mentioned Detroit, I may have something. I'll have to take a look. I know it is a wedgehead, it may or may not be of the proper vintage.

Also, drop a line to the MPL and I can bring it up to the DPL. If you wanted to go new, the South Lyon pinball cabinet guy recently moved to Howell. I forgot his name, but I think he is/was involved with the virtual pin. He was at the VFW show. Would avoid shipping anyway.

#24 7 years ago

The other thing is that if you are patient, they always pop up. PATZ is a great place to get stuff like this. Dayhuff too maybe.

If you are impatient, sell it to me. I can wait.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

The other thing is that if you are patient, they always pop up. PATZ is a great place to get stuff like this. Dayhuff too maybe.
If you are impatient, sell it to me. I can wait.

Thanks for the info, Newmantjn. If you end up having a spare cabinet, let me know. I actually met you a while back. You sold me some coin door parts and coin mechs. Sorry though, I am not that impatient, I'll be keeping this one.

3 weeks later
#26 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Too bad you didnt live closer to Texas (Dallas), we have a local craftsman that can make you one...

I will need a front panel for a Gottlieb Fun Land. Recommendations?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I will need a front panel for a Gottlieb Fun Land. Recommendations?

Find a doner

#28 7 years ago

Are they glued or nailed to the side panels? May have a local woodworker make one up for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-cabinet-rebuild-materials and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.