Playfield Aquaman (resized).JPG
Playfield Drop Target Values (resized).JPG
Playfield Bling Sling (resized).JPG
Playfield High Angle (resized).JPG
Exterior Front High (resized).JPG
Exterior Right Angle Low (resized).JPG
Exterior Right Angle Dynamic (resized).JPG
IMG_7274 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago

Did you cut stencils from plastic? I did that a couple of months ago on a Gottlieb Gaucho repaint (Pinball Pimp doesn’t make Gaucho) and it was a pain (lots of leaking under them, resulting in lots of touchups).

Yours is turning out really nice, BTW.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I have clear-coated my touch ups on cabinets for years. It definitely blends everything together for consistency. Also agree with you that these games had clear coat on them from the factory. That's one of the major reasons that sometimes the lacquer clear coat turns yellow and is so hard to remove from these games! Especially Gottlieb.

Do you use clear from a spray can? Or what do you guys use on the cabinets?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Well done. Excellent work.

This is new to me. I thought that the prices etched next to the coin slots were filled in but it never occurred to me that the logo on the coin door would be too. Was this standard?
Do you fill it in with a fine brush or use a PBR style paint stick?
/Mark

When you buy the nice new reproduction doors from Pinball resource, the recessed Gottlieb logo has the white paint in it.

#43 4 years ago

I can’t picture where this part is?

Quoted from leckmeck:

The ragged ply on the edge of the lightbox veneer is a trap for dust and dirt over the years. A little acrylic paint makes it look a lot nicer.
[quoted image]

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

It is a little disorienting! That’s because the lightbox is upside-down on my bench. The paintbrush is leaning against the lever that is used to secure the lightbox board insert.

Oh, now I see it! Ha ha, I couldn’t figure out what that was.

3 weeks later
#57 4 years ago

Leckmeck, great work. Any tips for someone (me) who's done 15-20 cabinet repaints but has never used an air-brush for touchups, etc., but would like to learn? I just have no idea where to start in terms of the equipment I'd need, the paints to use, practice/techniques, etc., but it feels like the "next step" for me in cabinet restorations.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Sure, I’ll take some pictures of my tools and recommend what to get.
Fair warning: it can be excruciatingly tedious! Like, the green seaweed shape on the side of the Atlantis lightbox took around four hours to respray. That is, however, an extreme case. That stencil was soooo floppy. It was a constant struggle to keep it in place. And it took around 8-9 coats to get good coverage. Next time I am using something with a heavier pigment load.

That would be great! And tedious is part of the hobby!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-3?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.