Playfield Aquaman (resized).JPG
Playfield Drop Target Values (resized).JPG
Playfield Bling Sling (resized).JPG
Playfield High Angle (resized).JPG
Exterior Front High (resized).JPG
Exterior Right Angle Low (resized).JPG
Exterior Right Angle Dynamic (resized).JPG
IMG_7274 (resized).JPG
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago

I can never post any pic of any EM pin i work on ... not until your thread(s) are buried into obscurity. I'd be too embarrassed.
but seriously, beautiful work and detail!

2 weeks later
#152 3 years ago

Stick a fork in it.
Exterior Right Angle Dynamic (resized).JPGExterior Right Angle Dynamic (resized).JPGExterior Right Angle Low (resized).JPGExterior Right Angle Low (resized).JPGExterior Front High (resized).JPGExterior Front High (resized).JPGExterior Front Near (resized).JPGExterior Front Near (resized).JPGPlayfield High Angle (resized).JPGPlayfield High Angle (resized).JPGPlayfield Bling Sling (resized).JPGPlayfield Bling Sling (resized).JPGPlayfield Aquaman (resized).JPGPlayfield Aquaman (resized).JPGPlayfield Drop Target Values (resized).JPGPlayfield Drop Target Values (resized).JPGPlayfield Bagatelle (resized).JPGPlayfield Bagatelle (resized).JPGPlayfield Shooter Lane (resized).JPGPlayfield Shooter Lane (resized).JPG

#153 3 years ago

Droool!!!!

#154 3 years ago

Talk about raising the restoration bar.......wow.

#155 3 years ago

This game looks stunning now. It matches the rest of your lineup! Excellent work these games look better than new and I am sure play as such.

#156 3 years ago

Wow just beautiful better than new. What a great collection

#157 3 years ago

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

#158 3 years ago

You forgot the most important finishing touch...moving it into my gameroom.

Beautiful work.
Atlantis is such a great machine (my absolute favorite EM).
Someday I hope to own one, and I can only hope it would be half that nice.

Congrats!

#159 3 years ago

Here’s another pic for @stashyboy, who restored the Blast Off you can see in the background.

Exterior Left Angle (resized).JPGExterior Left Angle (resized).JPG
#160 3 years ago

Thanks for all the nice compliments, y’all!

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Here’s another pic for stashyboy, who restored the Blast Off you can see in the background.[quoted image]

Glad it's still in your lineup. Pales in comparison to your detail work though. How do you like spin a card? Always thought hearts and Spades would be a desirable title. Owned Pop A card in the past, wasn't my all-time favorite I found the slingshots would end up knocking down most of the targets for you if you are patient!

#162 3 years ago

Great work. That’s one to be proud of for sure.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

How do you like spin a card? Always thought hearts and Spades would be a desirable title.

It’s not my favorite game, but I do like Spin-a-Card. DirtFlipper restored it, so it plays nice and fast. Strong pops. It’s hard to light the aces because they’re both in the return lanes, which the ball rarely rolls into. You can try to flick them off the tip of the flipper and up the opposite lane, but that’s hard as hell to do.

Quoted from stashyboy:

Owned Pop A card in the past, wasn't my all-time favorite I found the slingshots would end up knocking down most of the targets for you if you are patient!

Again, not my favorite, but I do love the backglass, especially the card-belching joker. Todd Newman wrote a nice appreciation of Pop-a-Card, how soothing the single-chime sounds are as the ball rolls around collecting 10 points here and 100 points there from predominantly low-scoring targets, then suddenly FIVE THOUSAND POINTS when you go through a lane. It’s also fun to be 1,000 points shy of winning an extra ball, then make a plunger shot that lands in the top entry lane that’s lit for that amount. The ball slides down it slowly and you get a big fat knock, and that’s satisfying.

1 month later
#164 3 years ago

Does anyone here have Atlantis and C37? Thinking about adding a C37, but the playfield has some similarities (right side bagatelle, right side stand-up Targets, left side drops, right outlane). Are they too similar to own in a two-wedgehead lineup?

#165 3 years ago

Similar but different enough to have both. Fantastic restoration. I can only dream of owning so many awesome machines.

#166 3 years ago

So your going to sell this to me when your done right?

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Does anyone here have Atlantis and C37? Thinking about adding a C37, but the playfield has some similarities (right side bagatelle, right side stand-up Targets, left side drops, right outlane). Are they too similar to own in a two-wedgehead lineup?

I have each and think there is room for both in one collection. The bagatelle experience is very different between the two games.

Only one of the numbered rollover targets is lit on Atlantis, and often you enter the bagatelle at a level where there is no chance of hitting it, so it’s 500 points allllll the way down, no matter which lane you go into.

But when you do have a chance, there is some good suspense waiting to see if you’ll roll through it. And sometimes (although very, very rarely) you can luck into hitting 1+2+3+4 or 6+7+8+9 sequentially. It’s very rewarding when that happens.

C37, on the other hand, you have a 50-50 chance of scoring big in the bagatelle. Every time. The lights alternating with the 500-point relay is fun, too.

Atlantis is a stingy game. It’s hard to advance more than halfway through the sequence, let alone all the way past 9. Some games you’ll finish still stuck on number 1. Brutal!

C37 is much more generous. You have a lot more advancement ability with the ABCD rollovers, double advance relay, drop targets, and kick-out hole. You also have total control over the drop target bank resetting. The corner kick-out hole is really in a sweet spot on the playfield. The same spot on Atlantis has a commonly broken plastic because of the beating it takes.

The 5000-point bonus for dropping two targets on Atlantis is killer. It’s a singularly distinctive feature no other Gottlieb EM has.

C37’s thermometer—though it’s just a straight line—is still a dandy bit of backglass animation. Get to the top, and light it up! It’s simple but brilliant. I use a 455 flasher on mine.

Both very fun games, in my opinion.

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I have each and think there is room for both in one collection. The bagatelle experience is very different between the two games.
Only one of the numbered rollover targets is lit on Atlantis, and often you enter the bagatelle at a level where there is no chance of hitting it, so it’s 500 points allllll the way down, no matter which lane you go into.
But when you do have a chance, there is some good suspense waiting to see if you’ll roll through it. And sometimes (although very, very rarely) you can luck into hitting 1+2+3+4 or 6+7+8+9 sequentially. It’s very rewarding when that happens.
C37, on the other hand, you have a 50-50 chance of scoring big in the bagatelle. Every time. The lights alternating with the 500-point relay is fun, too.
Atlantis is a stingy game. It’s hard to advance more than halfway through the sequence, let alone all the way past 9. Some games you’ll finish still stuck on number 1. Brutal!
C37 is much more generous. You have a lot more advancement ability with the ABCD rollovers, double advance relay, drop targets, and kick-out hole. You also have total control over the drop target bank resetting. The corner kick-out hole is really in a sweet spot on the playfield. The same spot on Atlantis has a commonly broken plastic because of the beating it takes.
The 5000-point bonus for dropping two targets on Atlantis is killer. It’s a singularly distinctive feature no other Gottlieb EM has.
C37’s thermometer—though it’s just a straight line—is still a dandy bit of backglass animation. Get to the top, and light it up! It’s simple but brilliant. I use a 455 flasher on mine.
Both very fun games, in my opinion.

Fantastic write-up! Thank you. I picked up an Atlantis last fall after owning an Abra Ca Dabra. I made the deal for a C37 and will pick it up next week. I also made a deal today for a Volley. So I’ll have three wedgies very soon: Atlantis, Centigrade 37, and Volley. Can’t wait to play them!!

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I've had both in my collection. IMHO , c37 is an "easier" player - especially on 3 ball vs 5 ball mode.
however, it does have that open area by the return right flipper that takes a well timed nudge or you
will lose the ball (if coming down the right side bagatelle).
Atlantis, like leckmeck said, can be difficult. I couldn't stand the no return lane on the left side
drain. Had it had one, it would've been a keeper for me.

2 months later
#170 3 years ago

I’ve read through the whole thread. Amazing work!

I don’t really understand the metal polishing though. I’ve used mothers and don’t really get much of a result from it. Are you seriously getting mirror-like results just from cloths and mothers?

#171 3 years ago

Beautiful restoration!!!

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I’ve read through the whole thread. Amazing work!
I don’t really understand the metal polishing though. I’ve used mothers and don’t really get much of a result from it. Are you seriously getting mirror-like results just from cloths and mothers?

Results will vary depending on the severity of the oxidation. Anything with scabrous rashes or pitting cannot be helped.

This Atlantis had fairly clean zinc-plated parts. They were clouded somewhat, but not too heavily.

Sometimes I used a buffing wheel, but most of the results you see were from hand-polishing with a rag. The trick to polishing by hand effectively is to think of creative ways to leverage your effort. If you are holding the part in one hand and polishing with the other, you will not get the best results.

Examples 1: if the part has flat surface areas, lay the rag onto your countertop and bear down on it with the part. Rub the latter against the former. This gets effective results the fastest.

Example 2: if the part is irregular in shape, find a way to make it stationary. You can fasten many parts by screwing them into a 2x4 scrap held in a vise. Once it’s secure, you can “floss” it with the rag. Don’t be afraid to cut the rag into narrow strips so you can reach recessed areas.

Lastly, you cannot handle zinc-plated parts after getting them shined up to this degree. Any oils from your skin will oxidize and cloud up the zinc coating within a matter of days. I carefully reassemble things by cradling them with clean rags and gently reinstall them the same way. This is an unsolved problem for which I am still seeking a solution.

It’s frustrating because this problem will rear its head down the road. Months later you’ll open up an immaculate game to adjust some malfunctioning thing, and the next day that part will looks like somebody dusted it for fingerprints.

I honestly question if the effort is worth it. Why make these dumb hunks of metal look pretty if their beauty is so fragile?

#173 3 years ago

This last paragraph is ringing in my ears. After spending many many hours polishing bronze era games to a beautiful finish and then looking inside the same game a few months later only to discover the dull haze of oxidation.
As for zinc plated parts, my experience has been pretty much the same. If they are heavily pitted There is little hope of restoring them to a factory finish. I have been known to switch out many parts on a collector quality restoration in order to improve the look of heavily corroded parts even though they work perfectly well as they are.

4 weeks later
#174 3 years ago

Resurrecting this thread to give Jason a shout out. Recently picked up a pretty decent Gottlieb Pin Up. One of his favourite games. Decided it was worthy of some reproduction labels that I just happened upon.

20201230_131010 (resized).jpg20201230_131010 (resized).jpg20201230_131019 (resized).jpg20201230_131019 (resized).jpg20201230_131027 (resized).jpg20201230_131027 (resized).jpg
9 months later
#175 2 years ago

A local collector fella had a spare door with an Atlantis schematic still taped to it, and it now lives in my game. Thanks, @beatnik-filmstar!

C2F97034-A528-46A2-AB49-0E10EF2C7984 (resized).jpegC2F97034-A528-46A2-AB49-0E10EF2C7984 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-3/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.