Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
IMG_2507 (resized).PNG
0Jolly-Roger-ugly-hole-once-a-post (resized).jpg
IMG_5365 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi Fellas

If you take a look at the below picture, it appears that at one time there was a playfield nail on the right side below the last set of rollovers. Is this how it should be, with a nail or should there be no nail or is it up to the owner?

Any guidance would help

Thank you

G

IMG_5365 (resized).JPGIMG_5365 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

If you mean, just below the 5 in the 500 in your photo, the answer would be no. The ball can either drain there or if you nudge it right the ball will roll to the flipper.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

If you mean, just below the 5 in the 500 in your photo, the answer would be no. The ball can either drain there or if you nudge it right the ball will roll to the flipper.

We hates Atlantis for this very reason, go to trp the ball on the right flipper and you lose it every time...

#4 7 years ago

Not being able to trap the ball using the right flipper makes the game more challenging. Maybe that's why I have yet to roll it.

#5 7 years ago

Thank you fellas. Must be that someone at some time inserted a nail there maybe out of frustration with the drain chances. I will leave it as is. Like to have things as technically correct as possible. You all facilitated this. Again I thank you

G

#6 7 years ago

Hi GPS +
I would like to NOT have that hole / post in my Jolly Roger ..., greetings Rolf

0Jolly-Roger-ugly-hole-once-a-post (resized).jpg0Jolly-Roger-ugly-hole-once-a-post (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

We hates Atlantis for this very reason, go to trp the ball on the right flipper and you lose it every time...

You really have to learn how to dead catch the ball on the flipper. Jacks Open has the open lane on both sides so it's even worse.

I've had balls on both games go up the return lane, hit the mini post, go up the outlane, and either come back down the inside lane, or even go right back out to the playfield.

Putting a nail in that spot is pitiful. About as bad as putting a post above the flippers on Doodle Bug, or a post between the flippers on just about any game.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Fellas
If you take a look at the below picture, it appears that at one time there was a playfield nail on the right side below the last set of rollovers. Is this how it should be, with a nail or should there be no nail or is it up to the owner?
Any guidance would help
Thank you
G

Is that some sort of plastic overlay on the playfield?

#9 7 years ago

This is the hole I can't figure out (left of the Gottlieb name). Been on every Atlantis I've seen. This pic is off IPDB.

IMG_2507 (resized).PNGIMG_2507 (resized).PNG

#10 7 years ago

alternate spot for that post!

#11 7 years ago

Ball wouldn't fit thru!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

This is the hole I can't figure out (left of the Gottlieb name). Been on every Atlantis I've seen. This pic is off IPDB.

IPDB's game notes for Atlantis describe that hole's purpose. A pin should be there.

Wayne Neyans placed a pin above the flipper to help block balls from rolling up the lane and draining on the right. He also extended the playfield plastic to its weird shape to help stop balls from lofting over the return lane wireform and draining. Apparently he felt that the left side not having a return lane handicapped the player enough.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

IPDB's game notes for Atlantis describe that hole's purpose. A pin should be there.

And I want to say someone on here said that the pin was there in the sample games but not the production games, because the plastic was extended in the production version. Having said that, my Atlantis has both the extended plastic and the pin above the right flipper.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Mine came from DF, and his other one was the same I remember. No pin.

#15 7 years ago

Wade left it out

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

I've put the pin back in on a couple of Atlantis games and the ball action forces it out within just a few games.

Wade got it right with leaving it out on the repro playfields.

Just my 2 cents.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

And I want to say someone on here said that the pin was there in the sample games but not the production games, because the plastic was extended in the production version. Having said that, my Atlantis has both the extended plastic and the pin above the right flipper.

It was there on production games, along with the extended plastic. As Mike said, Wade left that out on his reproduction.
When I started populating the playfield, I noted it was missing, and i didn't particularly feel like drilling the hole myself. When I got my Atlantis the hole was there but the pin was not. I put the pin in and I must have gotten it in really well because I didn't experience Mike's issue with the pin getting knocked out. But I didn't feel it was all that important to put it in Wade's playfield.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It was there on production games, along with the extended plastic. As Mike said, Wade left that out on his reproduction.
When I started populating the playfield, I noted it was missing, and i didn't particularly feel like drilling the hole myself. When I got my Atlantis the hole was there but the pin was not. I put the pin in and I must have gotten it in really well because I didn't experience Mike's issue with the pin getting knocked out. But I didn't feel it was all that important to put it in Wade's playfield.

I'm probably the only person who's drilled Wades wonderful work. My Atlantis is a sample with new flipper mechs which have a larger hole for the flippers. I gnashed my teeth for ages deciding whether to retro-fit the older style flippers, or drill the PF. In the end I drilled it and fitted the flippers my particular machine shipped with. I didn't put the pin in from above the right flipper though, even though it was also on my original PF... in hindsight maybe I should have...

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Is that some sort of plastic overlay on the playfield?

Yes it is. Love it. Corrects for all the recessed plastics in the playfield while at the same time protecting the playfield from wear. Highly recommend. Got it from Germany.

G

#20 7 years ago

the pin was for the sample game ONLY. the plastic was extended to do what the pin was intended to do BUT the dimple remain through production but no pin inserted. but many see the dimple and put a pin in thinking it is missing, pretty common. doesn't hurt being there if you have it there. wade left it out because it was not needed. except for the few that had a sample, but then again wades PF will not work on a sample game without the flipper holes being modified. the sample had the newer style flipper mechs

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the pin was for the sample game ONLY. the plastic was extended to do what the pin was intended to do BUT the dimple remain through production but no pin inserted. but many see the dimple and put a pin in thinking it is missing, pretty common. doesn't hurt being there if you have it there. wade left it out because it was not needed. except for the few that had a sample, but then again wades PF will not work on a sample game without the flipper holes being modified. the sample had the newer style flipper mechs

I think this is a real puzzler of a mystery, because plastic shields are well above the rolling height of the ball. The ball is not supposed to touch them under most circumstances. How could this extended plastic alone influence the ball's path? Sure, sometimes the ball will catapult up after bouncing off some rubber, but I've never seen it happen deflecting from a flipper. My hunch is the pin was supposed to be hooded by the extended plastic as a cosmetic nicety, which is all the plastics are supposed to do: camouflage unattractive areas on the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-atlantis-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.