IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4904.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_20131007_142947_586.jpg
IMG_20131007_143008_143.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Well, I started working on my Astro today. After a few switch adjustments, most of it seems to be in good working order. Couple of issues I need to iron out: After a Tilt, it never resets out of Tilt. Also once you get all the letters "STAR TREK" lite up and both green and purple stars, you get the WOW special lite up. After making the target and getting a free ball, I assumed the special would reset but it doesn't until the game ends. Other than both those issues, I think it just needs a good shopping out and some bulb changes. I'll post some pics as I go. Another other Astro owners here? Love the artwork on this game!

IMG_20131007_142947_586.jpgIMG_20131007_142947_586.jpg IMG_20131007_143008_143.jpgIMG_20131007_143008_143.jpg
#2 10 years ago
Quoted from sta98:

After making the target and getting a free ball, I assumed the special would reset but it doesn't until the game ends.

That sounds normal as that is how my Gottlieb 4 Square Worked with the "Specials".

Ken

#3 10 years ago

So, once you get the special lite, it's on for the rest of the game? I thought it would reset once you get your free ball.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

That sounds normal as that is how my Gottlieb 4 Square Worked with the "Specials".
Ken

yup, that's how my 4 square works as well (as well as my other em's)... ime, that's how almost all em's work... but i'm pretty unfamiliar with aab variants, i'm a "replay" kind of guy...

op when you say "never comes out of tilt"? can you explain that further? are you saying that if you tilt the machine, you can't start another game by pushing the start button? keep in mind that on many (most?) single player em's (including 4 square, and i'm assuming that the "rules" are the same for astro), tilting the machine "ends the game"... you don't just lose the ball in play, it results in a "game over" condition...

#5 10 years ago

Well, it doesn't go into a game over. It stays on the current ball number and then only totally resets on a coin insert (no start button). Should the ball count unit go to 0 (game over) after tilt?

#6 10 years ago

^^^

so it shows "tilt" in the backglass, the machine "shuts down" (i.e. doesn't serve another ball), and the ball count remains lit?

we need an aab guy... calling alex... calling alex...

#7 10 years ago

Love Astro! First pin I ever played in a barber shop in Beacon NY on main street with my "pops" . Always loved' the layout and it started a 40 year long hobby! Congrats! ( damn evil robot still haunts my dreams!)~SpOoKy

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

but i'm pretty unfamiliar with aab variants, i'm a "replay" kind of guy...

My Gottlieb Bank Shot AAB was the same as well. Once you light the "Extra Ball" Hole/Lane it would be lit the rest of the game.

Ken

#9 10 years ago

Ken, Bank Shot rule set is kickout holes alternate AAB till the end of that ball, center top lane stays lit until collected.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from sta98:

Well, it doesn't go into a game over. It stays on the current ball number and then only totally resets on a coin insert (no start button). Should the ball count unit go to 0 (game over) after tilt?

Sounds like you might want to check your Ball Count Unit. It may need cleaning/adjustment. If you start a game it should start with Ball 5, then count down to 4, 3, 2, 1, Game Over if you did not get an Extra Ball.

Ken

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Ken, Bank Shot rule set is kickout holes alternate AAB till the end of that ball, center top lane stays lit until collected.

Mine had Both Kickout Holes lit for "WOW", then the number 1 Lane stayed lit until collected, but may not have been correct? Good thing I sold it.

Ken

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I'll have to see how my Gottlieb "Sure Shot" Rule set is when I get it.

Ken

#13 10 years ago

My guess goes like this. Based solely on what I have read from others, many old gottliebs show tilt and game over at the same time! If your machine is set to end the game on tilt, (many can be set to only lose ball in play or to end the game based on a specific jumper position) everything that was lit at the time of the tilt will stay lit ball in play number included. The ball count won't reset until you start a new game. Here's how all this makes sense. Your game over light bulb is burned out so it looks like it is just stuck in tilt mode.

I could be completely off, but it would be an easy thing to verify before racking your brain and digging after problems that don't exist.

Hope this helps and you can be on your way to cleaning it up and enjoying.

As for the special lite staying on, I have two "replay" gottlieb wedge heads set up right now and they both behave just like yours. Once you light the special, it stays lit for the rest of the game.

#14 10 years ago

That must be correct then. After Tilt, the Tilt light comes one, the machine shuts down and waits for a new quarter to be inserted. When coined, the game resets, Tilt light turns off and Balls go to 5
That also must be correct for the special since that's how many others act. Seems like once you get that Special lite, you could play all day getting free balls!
Striped down the playfield today, cleaned it, waxed it and now taking a lunch break. Next, reinstall all the playfield stuff and install the new rubber kit. I'll post some pics probably tonight.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from sta98:

That must be correct then. After Tilt, the Tilt light comes one, the machine shuts down and waits for a new quarter to be inserted. When coined, the game resets, Tilt light turns off and Balls go to 5
That also must be correct for the special since that's how many others act. Seems like once you get that Special lite, you could play all day getting free balls!
Striped down the playfield today, cleaned it, waxed it and now taking a lunch break. Next, reinstall all the playfield stuff and install the new rubber kit. I'll post some pics probably tonight.

Man, you are fast!

#16 10 years ago

Here's some pre-cleaning pics from today. In the fourth pic, I just noticed that one of the triangle plastics must have been replaced at some time. It's just red and doesn't match the other three. I'll bet these are hard to come buy with only 500 machines produced.

IMG_4900.JPGIMG_4900.JPG IMG_4902.JPGIMG_4902.JPG IMG_4903.JPGIMG_4903.JPG IMG_4904.JPGIMG_4904.JPG IMG_4906.JPGIMG_4906.JPG
#17 10 years ago

Striped down, cleaned and waxed. Started re-installing at the top with some new lane guides. Had to pick up the kids from school...might get some more done tonight.

IMG_4909.JPGIMG_4909.JPG
#18 10 years ago

re: plastics... the one below it is the wrong one too...

might be hard to find them, but you could probably get a scan from someone of the correct ones and make them...

#19 10 years ago

OK, on the plastic, you already have one correct one. It is on the left, and it is a mirror image of the one on the right. Copy away.

On the tilt...your game is set up for 3 balls, and it is set up for a penalty of the ball in play plus one more ball. If it tilts on ball one, it is supposed to decrement from 3 to 1 ball to play. If it tilts on ball 2, you are done.

Both adjs are via jones plugs, probably under the PF.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

On the tilt...your game is set up for 3 balls, and it is set up for a penalty of the ball in play plus one more ball. If it tilts on ball one, it is supposed to decrement from 3 to 1 ball to play. If it tilts on ball 2, you are done.

My brothers Capt` Card is the same way. Nudge it a little too much and...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Holton, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-astro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.