View topic image gallery

751A7F20-2293-4FA3-BE05-528BEDBE65CD (resized).jpeg
39E496BA-C050-4070-ACBB-76CED537A71F (resized).jpeg
85A4C406-85B1-44F7-893C-A12366411189 (resized).jpeg
ATW plastics repro (resized).jpg
siderail001 (resized).jpg
before after 2 panel (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Does this machine have wood or metal side rails? Are plastics and a repo backglass available?

#2 4 years ago

This is a wood rail Gottlieb.

#4 4 years ago

Here is the siderail detail if you need to make some.
The plastics will have to be done by yourself. I used my decal repair method I use on backglasses to make new plastics.
The backglass can either be the BG Resto or if you are crafty you can use my backglass repair method at:
www.seriousviewers.com

I did my BG before any were available so I figured out how to do large repair areas myself.

before after 2 panel (resized).jpgbefore after 2 panel (resized).jpgATW plastics repro (resized).jpgATW plastics repro (resized).jpgsiderail001 (resized).jpgsiderail001 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

I ask because there is a machine local that has a metal rail or covering. I wonder if this is just a cover or what? Here are a couple of pictures.

39E496BA-C050-4070-ACBB-76CED537A71F (resized).jpeg39E496BA-C050-4070-ACBB-76CED537A71F (resized).jpeg751A7F20-2293-4FA3-BE05-528BEDBE65CD (resized).jpeg751A7F20-2293-4FA3-BE05-528BEDBE65CD (resized).jpeg85A4C406-85B1-44F7-893C-A12366411189 (resized).jpeg85A4C406-85B1-44F7-893C-A12366411189 (resized).jpeg
#6 4 years ago

That metal rail covering has been added, to extend that pins service life. It kind of updated the look of the game. Mostly it was applied to cover cigarette burns on the wood rails. The wood requires has to be maintained, to look its best.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

That metal rail covering has been added, to extend that pins service life. It kind of updated the look of the game. Mostly it was applied to cover cigarette burns on the wood rails. The wood requires has to be maintained, to look its best.

If I decide to buy and restore this one I’ll need to remove the metal. Makes me wonder what condition the rail is in. It can also affect the cost and complexity of the restoration. Another unknown I guess.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

If I decide to buy and restore this one I’ll need to remove the metal. Makes me wonder what condition the rail is in. It can also affect the cost and complexity of the restoration. Another unknown I guess.

I have had three woodrails with the aftermarket metal rails installed. Two of the three had no damage when i removed them. The other one split from a nail. Usually they do not have nails nailed directly into the wood rails underneath.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

I have had three woodrails with the aftermarket metal rails installed. Two of the three had no damage when i removed them. The other one split from a nail. Usually they do not have nails nailed directly into the wood rails underneath.

How are they normally attached?

#10 4 years ago

How are they normally attached?

To the side of the cabinet.

#11 4 years ago

Does the game have wooden or metal legs?

#12 4 years ago

Does the game have wooden or metal legs?

The ipdb is your friend.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=93&picno=4837&zoom=1

#13 4 years ago

Some of the pictures on that site show the machine with metal legs and some show it with wood legs. That is why I was asking the question.

#14 4 years ago

I think the rule is, if it has a metal apron it has metal legs. There may be an exception to that in the transition period?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:Some of the pictures on that site show the machine with metal legs and some show it with wood legs. That is why I was asking the question.
Quoted from AlexF:

I think the rule is, if it has a metal apron it has metal legs. There may be an exception to that in the transition period?

No. If it has a metal card tray and a metal front door, it has metal legs. The flyer shows this. By 1959, wooden legs were long gone from Gottlieb games.
According to Clay Harrell's "Gottieb Pinball Evolution", "Frontiersman" was the last Gottlieb with wooden legs, and that was at the end of 1955.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I’m not sure I’m ready for another project, but it’s nice to know this game is original.

#17 4 years ago

Mine has metal legs. I have a BG resto and can post picks if you'd like.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from paddlepaw:

Mine has metal legs. I have a BG resto and can post picks if you'd like.

I’d like to see as many pictures as possible. Thanks

1 week later
#19 4 years ago

Picked one of these up a few days ago.is it any good?

3 weeks later
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Picked one of these up a few days ago.is it any good?

It’s a great game Ted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-around-the-world and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.