Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Arena (resized).jpg
20180723_163819a (resized).jpg
20180723_163808a (resized).jpg
IMG_20170430_001535 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Im having abit of a trouble with mine lately, all 3 of the guard lights and the Pit (the big white insert infront of the entry to the ramp) dont appear to work anymore, you get the points and the sounds, but no lights.
and ive checked the bulbs, and they are fine, and ive checked and pulled on all the cables and soldering around them, seems fine to me, is there a chip or transistor that controls those that might have gone derp?

I have the manual and could prob go line hunting with it, but i thought to ask here first just in case someone else had something similar and could show me a quick way.

IMG_20170430_001535 (resized).jpgIMG_20170430_001535 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Check for 6VDC on the lamp sockets. The driver board provides a ground to illuminate the lamps. Also could be bad sockets. The round bare wire braid going to each socket carries the 6VDC. The insulated wire on the socket goes to the driver board that provides the ground.

You can ground the insulated wire lug and see if the lamp lights. If yes could be incomplete circuit to the driver board caused by open somewhere or a bad connector on the driver board. If no and there is 6VDC then you have a socket or lamp problem.

#3 5 years ago

Check the A3J3 connector pin "S".
That's the ground connection to those four lights.
If the connector is good then it might be a faulty Z11.
My bet would be the connector.

Arena (resized).jpgArena (resized).jpg

I always upgrade the driver board by connecting all grounds together.
That way you always have a good ground at the board as you have multiple ground wires connected together.
I've been meaning to add this info to www.pinwiki.com, but I haven't come around to it jet.
The yellow lines point to the connections made on the board.

20180723_163808a (resized).jpg20180723_163808a (resized).jpg
20180723_163819a (resized).jpg20180723_163819a (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

Well ive already done the extensive Gottlieb groundmod on this game, and the lights worked before, its the last month or so they just stopped working.

But i'll check your tips up ASAP, thanks!

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Check the A3J3 connector pin "S".
That's the ground connection to those four lights.
If the connector is good then it might be a faulty Z11.
My bet would be the connector.
[quoted image]
I always upgrade the driver board by connecting all grounds together.
That way you always have a good ground at the board as you have multiple ground wires connected together.
I've been meaning to add this info to www.pinwiki.com, but I haven't come around to it jet.
The yellow lines point to the connections made on the board.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Huh, i got to do those mods, is it the same for the other boards aswell? You should update pinwiki with this, seems like important mods (like all groundmods) for Gottliebs

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Huh, i got to do those mods, is it the same for the other boards aswell? You should update pinwiki with this, seems like important mods (like all groundmods) for Gottliebs

It's just for the System 80 driver boards.
The System 1 driver boards need similar updates at differend points.

#6 5 years ago

Good news, men! I got the bulbs working, it was a dirty A3J3 contact, brushed it clean with ISO and a toothbrush, now the lights work again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-arena-sys-80-bulb-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.