Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ngreenup
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Short version: Press red self test button inside coin door once and it goes into audits then immediately into lamp test 2. If I press the self test button twice when entering self test it goes to the second audit. Once I get to lamp test 2 (either way) I cannot go any further or do anything.

Long Version: Got a new to me Arena, this is my first Gottlieb. There was a burnt ground connector going to the transformer so I did the transformer ground mod before plugging it in. I found I did not have the proper crimp contacts for the interconnect mod (adding additional ground and 5v wires), so I am waiting for those to arrive in the mail. I have not added a ground wire to each board. When I turned on the game both solenoids for the saucers fire repeatedly. I then removed the solenoid fuse to disable all solenoids. I started trouble shooting by unplugging all connections to the cpu except J1 (power). Tested the CPU was getting 5v and it is. Added score display connector and it works. After connecting J5 (coin door) I tried to get into the self test and had the problem listed above in the "short version". I connected J6 (switch matrix) and tried the self test again with the same results.

Despite the self test problems I connected J4 (driver board) and turned on the game. It was cycling through attract mode. Self test still only lets me see audits and lamp test.

#2 8 years ago

Any ideas to why I cannot get to a solenoid or switch tests?

1 week later
#3 8 years ago

I have done a few more things.

I cleaned the connector pads with an eraser, replaced the trim pot on the power board, reflowed solder on power board connectors, rebuilt power board connectors, replaced capacitor in the cabinet, and fixed a squirrely wiring job on two feature lights. The voltage is reading about 5.2 at the power supply board and 5.05 at the MPU.

The system seems to boot and I can add credits, but I still can't get to solenoid or switch tests. I put the solenoid fuse back in and when I turn on the game the two saucer solenoids still fire over and over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wind Point, WI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-arena-self-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.