• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1771 (resized).JPG
0Hearts-And-Spades-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My Pop-A-Card has developed a problem whereupon starting a game causes the ball count unit to decrement down to 4 balls to play instead of staying at 5. It does this extra decrement only on game start. During game play it all works correctly, both subtracting and adding balls.

Anyone seen an issue like this before?

Dave

#2 6 years ago

Is something preventing the bent contacts from reaching ball 5 starting contact (burr, gunk, etc)? I'm thinking a sticking point simulates ball 5 is lost and it's decrementing to ball 4.

Or, does the Ball Count Unit need a close inspection to see if the plunger is moving freely across the spectrum? The cog isn't worn at ball 5?

#3 6 years ago

Hi Toyguy and Davey
the schematics "Hearts and Spades" shows a Switch on "D-1st-Ball-in-Play-Relay". The switch is shown / drawn closed.
The schematics usually are drawn as "a game has started - reset is done and the ball is kicked over to the shooter alley ready to be launched --- NOW the main power cord is unplugged".
This makes reading schematics complicated --- I do not want to dg-in into logic on Hearts and Spades - maybe the relay should be better named "D-1st-Ball-has-not-yet-been-in-Play-Relay" (?).

I make it easy to me and say "at the time the "Hearts and Spades" pin kicks out the very first ball - the ball rolls over the Trough-Switch: Switch on "D-1st-Ball-in-Play-Relay" must be open to SUPRESS the firing of "Subtract Ball Count" Coil".

I would look for an "D- (and DB- ) Relay" and check "pulling / not pulling" and the Switches on the relay(s). Greetings Rolf

0Hearts-And-Spades-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Hearts-And-Spades-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Rolf was on the track. The problem was definitely due to the 1st Ball Relay but only because that relay was not holding on when pulled in. Here's a schematic snapshot:

IMG_1771 (resized).JPGIMG_1771 (resized).JPG

You can see the J relay coil in the center. That's the 1stBall Relay. It passes through the score reel reset switches then runs through a switch on the SB2 relay. That switch does other things and those were working so I ruled it out. At first I was focusing on the J relay switches themselves but they all looked and worked well. It finally occurred to me that there was no way it was ever going to work as when the J Relay pulled in for a fraction of a second, the ball was kicked to the plunger and over the trough switch long after the J Relay had disengaged. That's when I realized something should be holding the J Relay on until SB2 is dropped out after the game starts. Not much in that circuit so I started looking at the reset switches and found a bad one on the 100s unit. That unit would actually reset fine but one of the two NO switches wasn't closing when at Zero. I guess one switch must be in the stepper circuit for the reels and the other for the 1st Ball Relay circuit. Adjusting that switch did the trick

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-add-a-ball-startup-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.