I_relay (resized).jpg
Motor 1 switch dogs (resized).jpeg
abra (resized).jpg
IMG_20220103_032919087~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220103_121302658~4 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220103_121302658~3 (resized).jpg
Bonus path 1000 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello to all the E.M.pinball techs out there!!
I finally scored a gottlieb Abra CA dabra, was in bad shape, had to rebuild the cabinet, I ordered stencils from "da-pimp" so I rebuilt it, painted it, webbed it, traced bunch of wires, bunch of soldering and I got it down to these last 3 scoring issues...

This will be my 2nd time using pinside for tech advice, I had good success the first time with Zaccaria Moon flight, so hopefully I will find help again

I have schematics and owners manual

Issue#1.... I can't score a point when I hit any rollovers, all I get is a loud buzz sound from the "q
-relay" aka series relay... No other relay are being activated, each rollover should score 500points...

Issue #2..... I also can score a since point on any of the 10 drop targets, each target should score 500 points, unless it's lit, that score bonus value

**Basically only thing that scores are pop bumpers and slingshots...

Issue#3... Ok this is the state I got the bonus value working, it wasent advancing at all when I got it!. I fooled around with Motor1a-3rd switch(scoring) cleaned a few other contacts and add bonus unit and this is what happening and as good as I can get it, Hopefully I get good advice ... 1000value I score with 2000 or 3000points, 2000value I score 2000 or 3000 points
3000value I always score 3000points
4000value I always score 4000points
5000value I always score 4000points
** Wh

Those are my 3 issues, I will be back at it this Friday, so.i got a few days to get advice & ideas from you pinsiders.... I will try posting schematics and manual soon.
Happy new years to all....

16412021096887508870822192273937 (resized).jpg16412021096887508870822192273937 (resized).jpg16412021492713478811549390582455 (resized).jpg16412021492713478811549390582455 (resized).jpg16412023133633764319285874273279 (resized).jpg16412023133633764319285874273279 (resized).jpg16412024240402035384284637039228 (resized).jpg16412024240402035384284637039228 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I also cleaned and polished "i-relay"(target bank spot relay) wipers move easy now, no gumming. I will be back at it Friday

#3 2 years ago

On issue 1 and 2: If you push the G relay armature in manually, does it score 500 points? If it does, I'd inspect the three NC switches leading to the G relay - both the rollovers and drop targets need these three switches closed to score 500. These 3 switches are on D, C and 5B.

If G doesn't score 500, we look at G and beyond...

G relay (resized).jpgG relay (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

For Issue 3: Check out the 4 motor switches labeled "Bonus Score Control Switch". The bonus scoring relies on these switches opening at the right time to mask out 4, 3, 2, 1 or none of the motor 1A pulses, based on the current position of the bonus unit rotor. More than one of these switches may not be opening or shorted (example: 3000 pts on a 1000 bonus) letting through extra 1A pulses. 4000 pts on 5000 bonus however, may be a different issue. Let's see how the 500 point scoring works in issues 1&2 - it uses the same 1A.

Attached schematic showing the 1000 point bonus path.

All your bonus rivets and shoes are shiny clean? Shoes centered on rivets? Bonus lights work correctly?

Bonus path 1000 (resized).jpgBonus path 1000 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

Thank you *DaMoib* I will be back at it on Friday. So for now I can answer your response on issue#1...when I push the "G" relay armature for a split second only the chime rings, if I hold it for 1-2seconds it will score 200-300 points, if I hold it for 4seconds it will score 500points. I discovered another weird scenario on score motor, seems like motor 1b should only have 1 contact on that paticular stack according to owners manual, I got 3 stacks??? Weird. I will post pics soon .. did owners/operators add extras to the game ? Weird??

IMG_20220103_121302658~3 (resized).jpgIMG_20220103_121302658~3 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

Sounds like the G hold switch isn't working -OR- one of the three switches I mentioned above is open, the drops, rollovers AND hold switch are to the right of the suspected switches. So the plan remains the same for 1&2...

I believe that's 1D that you have circled (1B is riding posts between the two platters, second up from the bottom) but 1D still looks weird - it should have only one NO switch. Let me search around for posts that mention mods to Abra.

#7 2 years ago

Yes it's 1D motor, I labelled it wrong here....

IMG_20220103_121302658~4 (resized).jpgIMG_20220103_121302658~4 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

I will check switches as you mentioned *DaMoib* leading to "G-relay" yes something is off.

#9 2 years ago

When I manually activate "q" relay it dosent do anything, it only buzes loudly when you manually touch any rollover. I deffently have some work here ahead of me

#10 2 years ago

I believe it's a Supplement Coin Chute circuit addition... the Supplemental schematic shows a couple of 1D switches...

#11 2 years ago

A Q relay switch is what should trip G for rollover scoring, it is also to the right of the suspect switches (on the larger schematic, not my snippets).

Q is a buzzer on my Abra as well.

#12 2 years ago

Thank you *DaMoib* for your assistance, I will re-trouble shoot it on Friday with your guidance. Amazing how knowledgeable some of you posters are, what a wonderful website

#13 2 years ago

Ok I see it now,

IMG_20220103_032919087~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220103_032919087~2 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

A Q relay switch is what should trip G for rollover scoring

Quoted from DaMoib:

Sounds like the G hold switch isn't working

When Q activates (either manually activated or when one of the rollovers is scored), does G also activate? If yes, check your hold switch on G and switch 2B on the score motor.

abra (resized).jpgabra (resized).jpg

If G does not activate, check the switch on Q that would activate G.

#15 2 years ago

"G" does not activate when "Q" is fired, it does buzz loud though. If I remember correctly it has 2 contact points and I'm sure they were functioning properly and clean but I will look into this matter on Friday. Thank- you for all the feedbacks. I'm really puzzled on this one

#16 2 years ago

Ok I actually had some time to work on pinball today, my next date with pinball will be this Friday...
Progress....I did some adjustments to score motor for issue#3(score bonus) so the best I can do is it scores and advances properly from 1000-4000points.... 5000 points only scores 4000points, if I adjust leaf switch on motor1A-3rd switch(scoring) and pull the leaf closer it will score 5000points but then 1000bonus will score 2-3000 points, 2000 scores 3000 points and so forth. Pretty fussy leaf. I spent 30min on it to adjust and that's the best I can get .

For issue 1&2 no luck!! I followed the path from *sirscott* &*daMoib* recommendation, cleaned contacts, fine adjusted & no luck.....but I discovered "q" relay only buzzes when you go through rollover only, it dosent fire the "g"500point relay, and if you try to manually activate "q" relay via armature(manually) it does nothing and no buzz. I believe the red wire leading to "q" relay has no power! I tried to follow it's path to investigate further but not sure where it ties in to .... Also "g" relay-500points still has same issue, in regards it dosent hold long to score 500points. If you press armature, only chime rings, if you hold for 1second you score 100points, you physically need a good 3second hold to score 500points manually. Hopefully you guys out there can leed me to another path. I'm lost on this project but making slight progress.
Thank you

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I did some adjustments to score motor for issue#3(score bonus) so the best I can do is it scores and advances properly from 1000-4000points.... 5000 points only scores 4000points, if I adjust leaf switch on motor1A-3rd switch(scoring) and pull the leaf closer it will score 5000points but then 1000bonus will score 2-3000 points, 2000 scores 3000 points and so forth. Pretty fussy leaf. I spent 30min on it to adjust and that's the best I can get .

nothing should be that finicky ... the game couldn't be manufactured if it was.

are you familiar with the L and S positions on the score motor switch lifter dogs (the metal pieces riding the edges of the two score motor discs)? One end of the dog hooks into a (S)hort or (L)ong position slot - see the diagram at schem A12 and the table below it. If the dog is in the wrong slot, that changes the switch timing and you may be ... pooched.

Quoted from BRONX:

I discovered "q" relay only buzzes when you go through rollover only

the Q relay is at schem 3E and the red wire side connects to all four of the #1-#4 rollover relays in the sequence bank. The idea is when you go over a rollover, the corresponding rollover relay trips AND the Q relay powers. Unlike just about everything, the Q relay coil is connected in series with the rollover relays, so if Q coil is bad, none of the rollover relays will work.

when Q powers, G is supposed to power unless C, D or 5B switch is open. Any of those switches are open, your G hold circuit doesn't do anything which explains the why you'd need to hold G manually.

most likely your 5B switch is open. Is your sequence bank resetting?

5B appears to be an odd coil-less position on the sequence bank that I assume "trips" mechanically when all the other relays in the bank are tripped.

Quoted from BRONX:

if you try to manually activate "q" relay via armature(manually) it does nothing

that is normal sometimes. The NO switch on Q may power the G relay, the NC switch prevents E and G relay switches from starting the score motor while the Q relay is powered.

it may be easier to manually reset the sequence bank and then see if manually closing Q causes G to power. If not, I'd use a voltmeter or jumper wire to see why G isn't responding.

#18 2 years ago

New Update.......
Ok making progress, going to bed now....
I got "g" relay to always fire now, unfortunately it only scores 400points, not 500. Also the 5000point bonus only scores always 4000. Seems like the 5th pulse is not strong enough to make scoring accurate? Any suggestions???

One last issue is drop targets are obviously scoring a lousy 400points aswell, (5th pulse issue)but the illuminate ones are not scoring the value added bonus. Looks like on Friday I need to poke around a bit more via score motor? Motor1c should be closed also 2b. Any suggestions?

For the "g" relay I went back to basics, and once again took *sirscott* and *daMoib* advice. I made sure 5b,C,D were more closed, I got some 91% alcohol and really got the contacts clean, I also super cleaned "g" relay wh-or wire. I also gave it another lite tug with the leaf adjustment tool, and it finally worked!!!.. not sure which one was the issue, but it now finally works...Thanks again gentleman, I'm almost there....

So two last issues, the 5th pulse so I can score correctly & more poking around for the drop target illuminated bonus score....
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I might be a lil slow at this but I'm dedicated. See everybody on Friday, goodnight

#19 2 years ago

Hello *baldtwit* I suspect either switch 5b, c, d was slightly opened but I finally conquered that issue. 2 more to go. Thank you for participating. I will be back at it on Friday.

#20 2 years ago

the part about the L/S is still relevant ... ignore the rest

your game has a motor service jack ... a little jones plug that lets you disconnect the score motor. If you want to see what is happening, you can pull the plug, trigger bonus scoring then spin the score motor cams by hand and watch what/when things happen as the score motor switch stacks do their thing.

the one gotcha is if you spin too slowly or stop spinning when one of the 120V bank reset coils is powered, you'll probably blow the slo-blo fuse in the coil circuit. If what you are doing would cause those coils to fire, it's best to remove the fuse(s), then the worst you can do is have a stepper solenoid powered for too long and let some smoke out of it.

too long is usually more than 30 seconds, and a stuck on solenoid often buzzes loudly to let you know something isn't happy.

#21 2 years ago

Ok, thank you *baldtwit* I have no experience In Score motor timing but I'm eager to learn, I'm going to watch a tutorial tommorow afternoon and back at it and on friday

#22 2 years ago

While watching/reading tutorials… one other tool to add to your toolkit is jumpers - a wire with an alligator clip at each end (or better yet, EZ hooks at the ends). In your example, this jumper could be used to quickly bypass the C, D, 5B and/or H switches to help determine if any of those switches were the problem. Once identified, only the faulty switch(es) need to be adjusted to restore operation.
A quick summary here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

With regard to checking switch dogs, you can quickly check the position of the Motor 1 switch dogs by looking in the coin door (but then again, I imagine you have your playfield up - then it’s even easier). I’ve attached a marked up photo of Abra’s Motor 1 switches. Both dogs *should* be in the “S” position. If either were in the “L” position, the switch dog would be out another quarter of an inch, about at the end of the fork-like switch dog bracket.

Motor 1 switch dogs (resized).jpegMotor 1 switch dogs (resized).jpeg
#23 2 years ago

Good evening to all !!!
Ok *DaMoib* thanks for that link about alligator clips and basically entire em mechanic manual. Deffently make alot more sense & it will be found in my toolbox very soon...

Now for this fifth pulse, I do now understand more about what yourself & baldtwit are leading me too. A few tutorials helped out aswell. So the way I see things is if the stack where this motor 1a switch is being linked together and dogged up in the adjustable link is in the S-position as stated in schematics then leave it alone issue is not there. If by mistake the mechanic before me linked it to L-position than refit to the S-position immediately. We will soon find out tommorow. One of the links I was just viewing also recommended a few drops of 3-1 oil in this felt paper slot found on gottlieb motors, for lube up. Probaly a few drops makes it run smooth, cuts down on wear.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

One last issue is drop targets are obviously scoring a lousy 400points aswell, (5th pulse issue)but the illuminate ones are not scoring the value added bonus. Looks like on Friday I need to poke around a bit more via score motor? Motor1c should be closed also 2b. Any suggestions?

The drop target bonus lights and scoring are controlled by the “I” Relay - it’s an AS-type relay (like the “F” match relay). One side of the I relay controls the lights that walk down the drops, indicating which target should score the bonus. The other side controls the bonus scoring. Sounds like the lights are working, and the scoring isn’t? Check out the two sides of the I Relay, are they clean, the wiper arms centered on the disc pads and contacting them? A pic of the “I” Relay is attached - it is suspended below the playfield. This is a shot of the bonus scoring side of the relay, indicated by the OR+BLK wire attached to the “C” solder tab on the disc.

I_relay (resized).jpgI_relay (resized).jpg
#25 2 years ago

In theory..
I'm getting pulses 1-4, so the fifth pulse is likely slightly late and won't calibrate which means pulse#1 is also slightly late but not late enough to calibrate pulses 1 to 4. To prove this law of Relativity, is if I adjust the leaf switch gap extra close, I will get the fifth pulse every time but this tighter leaf gap screws up pulses 1,2,3 because the late pulse signal will still regulate under normal leaf gap situation. By Compensating the gap tighter to make the fifth pulse will make the late signal pulse unstable for pulses 1,2,3 because pulse #1 with tight leaf gap is actually now more closer or into the second pulse when it makes contact on the leaf. Hopefully this is just a simple dog adjustment... Stupid question? Why do these motors come with the L & S slots for dogs? To compensate for wear and tear on gears and posts, links and dogs?

Have a good night everyone, back at this tommorow evening

#26 2 years ago

Thanks again *DaMoib* yes a few night ago I took that i-relay apart because the lights were sluggish, so I polished it with 600sandpaper, 91% alcohol clean whipped and a micro drop of Teflon grease rub, the lights work fantastic but maybe I was a bit to shy on the opposite wipper.

#28 2 years ago

Incredible, I'm learning so much. You guysxare so helpful. I'm deffently going to make a donation to this website on Saturday.

#29 2 years ago

Update.....
Before

IMG_20220107_204905527_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220107_204905527_HDR (resized).jpg
#30 2 years ago

After

IMG_20220107_220631463 (resized).jpgIMG_20220107_220631463 (resized).jpg
#31 2 years ago

The score motor is now tuned, I also tugged in bonus wiper on i-stepper unit, so drop target bonus is tuned up. Everything now works perfectly thanks to my effort and because of *Da-moib* & *Baldtwit* knowledge and guidance!
I also got some alligator clips :0)

Thank you for your help :0)

IMG_20220107_221802516 (resized).jpgIMG_20220107_221802516 (resized).jpg
#32 2 years ago

Actually just one last issue.....
Chime box is fully rebuit with chime kit. Issue is plunger only hits the chime bar ever 10hits or so. And all 3 chime bar plungers are performing the same. I took of the chime bar to investigate, and yes it does fire on every hit but unfortunately 9/10 hits it's not strong enough to hit chime bar, what's gives?

#33 2 years ago

Well done! Regarding the chimes, look for something common across all three chimes. The two things that come to mind are the actual “common” (BLK) wire to the coils and the rebuild that you did. First, the common wire - is the spade connector firmly attached to the coil and the wire firmly attached to the spade connector (could be crimped or soldered)? If you don’t see anything obvious, take a resistance measurement from the black wire on one of the relays on the motor board to the last chime coil in the common wire daisy chain. Second, the rebuild - all three plungers slide freely in their sleeves? Nylon tip up? No shorting of any wires or spade connectors to the chime frame?
Chime Unit (resized).jpegChime Unit (resized).jpeg

#34 2 years ago

DaMoib - do you keep the nuts on the chime bars that loose?

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

DaMoib - do you keep the nuts on the chime bars that loose?

We all does, better sound.

#36 2 years ago

Yeah, they “ring” a bit better when loose.

#37 2 years ago

Interesting.. I'll loosen mine up more. I've got some play in the bars but not near that much..

#38 2 years ago

Regarding the theory behind the Motor 1A “L” switch dog position and the resultant behavior - you’re right, this switch dog position delays the 1A pulses (about 7%). As a result, the fifth 1A pulse begins to overlap the Motor 2B pulse (which is used to release G in the 500 point case and E in the bonus scoring case). Additionally, in the bonus scoring, the “L” switch dog causes the 1A pulses to slide relative to the 4 masking pulses. All bets are off with this changed timing, it comes down to how much charge flows through a switch that is opening prematurely and whether it’s enough charge to get the relay down the line to move.

The reason adjusting the 1A switch gap was affecting the behavior, it that you also are changing 1A timing based on the gap width, but to a much lesser extent than the switch dog does.

…and, yes, many thanks to baldtwit for the suggestion to check the dog - we could’ve ended up putzing around for 50 or more posts chasing ghosts.

#39 2 years ago

Ok. I think I screwed up on the rebuild... I have the nylon part of the chime plunger hitting the rubber beer seal on the bottom plate of chime box. I just rebuilt it the same way I disassembled it. I will flip the plungers over later on and see how it reacts. And I will loosen the chime bar a tad

#40 2 years ago

I will also make sure terminal post from coil is not making contact with the chime box

#41 2 years ago

Everything is ok here, chimes, scoring, resets. Just cleaned and waxed it. I put orange dot coils on flippers so I can lower the pitch a tad for faster play. Maybe 5-6°. Also installed yellow dot coils for pop bumpers, pretty lively vivid games. It's on normal tap aswell. There's alot of pro hi-tappers vs reg-tappers. I just wanted a little boost on flippers and pops and nothing else. If one of you pinsiders please kindly(no rush) take a pix of high score free play setting in the head box, that would be appreciated. Myn is glued off as you see in the picture.. Thank-you....

IMG_20220108_195701866~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220108_195701866~2 (resized).jpg
#42 2 years ago

Here you go....

Replay Scores (resized).jpgReplay Scores (resized).jpg
11 months later
#43 1 year ago

Just a small add to the solution of the bonus score issue. I used this thread as a base point to try to fix the same bonus issue. (Bonus counting 1000 more than it should). I went thru all the suggested items in this thread. There is one additional culprit that can cause the issue. Motor 4C second switch controls the bonus relay (bonus score control switch). If it doesn't open (my case) the bonus will add more than it should. Just wanted to add for future folks.

#44 1 year ago

Looking for a Wade Abra pf or other suitable pf for restoration... thx

6 months later
#45 8 months ago

Target spot relay * i *

I'm having some issues on spotlight target drops. According to schematics, the light moves along the drop targets when you hit 10, 100, and 1000 points. Obviously you score bonus when you hit the lit target. On my machine the i-relay only functions periodically probaly ever 10th hit. I got schematics. Look like BL-Wh-red wire activates i-relay. On my unit most of the wires are blue(previous fix). What activates i-relay that I'm missing. Which one would be the BL-Wh-red wire that I'm seeking

Thank you

#46 8 months ago
IMG_20230805_232244 (resized).jpgIMG_20230805_232244 (resized).jpg
#47 8 months ago
IMG_20230805_232354 (resized).jpgIMG_20230805_232354 (resized).jpg
#48 8 months ago

The Target Bank Spot (I) relay is activated by switch on the 1000 Point relay, and either the 100 Point relay or the 10 Point relay, depending on the setting of the 3/5 ball per game adjustment.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#49 8 months ago

Thank you HowardR I just thought it was ironic that anything I hit, wouldn't activate the target spot bank, I will re-gap and clean contact on 10 and 100 point mechanism later today

5 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-abracadabra?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.