(Topic ID: 253013)

Gottlieb A-11556 (Capacitor, Rectifier, and Resistor jones plug board)

By bluebomber

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.33.14 PM (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi,

I'm fixing up an old Gottlieb, and I'm seeing that there is a jones plug board that has a capacitor, rectifier, and resistor on it. I know it's usually good to replace capacitors, but I'm looking to replace the whole part if that is possible. The Gottlieb 1978 Parts Catalog shows this part as an A-11556 (see attached image), but I can't find any information on this online. Should I try to find a replacement board, just a replacement capacitor, or just leave it as is since the machine seems to be working just fine at the moment?

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.33.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.33.14 PM (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

You'll get more relevant replies in the SS forum.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluebomber:

Should I try to find a replacement board, just a replacement capacitor, or just leave it as is since the machine seems to be working just fine at the moment?

This is a delay module that lets the game pause momentarily while something of indeterminate duration happens. This is used for example on Flip A Card where a spinner needs to stop spinning before the game can tell what card you've earned. Since there's no spinner EOS switch, the game just waits patiently for a bit and hopes that the spinner has stopped by the time the delay is over.

If your delay is working I'd leave it alone. If you feel compelled though you can replace the individual parts as you see fit since they're identified in the picture you posted. I doubt anyone would offer these new so any you find will likely be about as old as yours.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

Gottlieb used this unit in a number of titles in the 70's. I have a Gottlieb 1975 'Top Score' which has a similar unit used as a 'Bonus Delay Unit'. Example, when the ball in play lands in a selected 'kick out hole' a mystery score bonus is awarded. (If the unit is unplugged, only a set score will be awarded).

If required, you could replace the unit with new components. Below is a drawing of the unit used in my 'Top Score' machine. You will see that the component values do differ slightly.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #5 4 years ago

@currieddog This is in an EM.

@markg Ah, ok. I just looked at the schematic, and it is showing that it works in conjunction with my spin-n-spot. Guessing the delay is used to control the liberal to conservative spinner setting. That seems to be working on this machine, so I'll just let it go for now. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-a-11556-capacitor-rectifier-and-resistor-jones-plug-board?hl=bluebomber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.