(Topic ID: 221492)

Gottlieb 80b - Tag Team - Yellow Ground Wire

By RandomTask

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ground Wire - Head (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Hi guys,

I've recently picked up my first pinball machine, a Gottlieb System 80b Tag Team. I know most of the time you're tinkering with some issues here and there which is some of the 'charm' of joining the hobby. I'm waiting on a manual and schematic sheet from Marco, but you know waiting it a horrible thing!!

One thing that is very obvious to me is the yellow grounding wire from the head to the cabinet isn't attached to a screw like the others throughout the machine. I am I right in assuming I should attach this to the screw in the cabinet to continue the yellow ground from the transformer?

Is there a reason why the wire is 'flat' vs. having a 'screw hole'? Also, would this lack of ground effect anything?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

Ground Wire - Head (resized).jpgGround Wire - Head (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

It is always wise the connect ground strips.
    The problem with Gottlieb and ground wires is that they aren't connected.
    Do the ground upgrades as mentioned in the PinWiki.
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80
    It will make the game more reliable.

Peter

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Peter, super helpful! I've completed the ground modifications from Pinwiki. My slam tilt is working much better now!

I am hunting down why my left out hole coil melted inside with the sleeve. I was thinking it was grounding issue which is why I was wondering about the yellow ground strip. Maybe the pinwiki ground mod would have avoided the melting issue?

Now it could be a driver board transistor but the one in the manual (Q59) doesn't look damaged when I look at it. However, Q53 (Bell Assembly) does look damaged...

#4 5 years ago

The main problem with Gottlieb is when the game doesn't work, it will activate coils.
    Most of the time ground problems.
    Those coils will stay activated until power is switched off.
    That's one of the main reasons for a reset board above the cpu board.
    The damage on the driver board is often a tell tail of such problems.
    And offcource the connectors and the connectors and don't forget the connectors between the cpu and the driver board.
    Add an additional 5V and ground wire between the boards connector.
    http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Adding_Ground_and_5V_Connections_to_Interconnect_Harness

#5 5 years ago

Of course... The connectors! I'll grab some connectors and make a new ground.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-80b-tag-team-yellow-ground-wire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.